Home

How the hell do you play defense on this game?

This is a discussion on How the hell do you play defense on this game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: How the hell do you play defense on this game?

I have read through the comments in this thread and I find many of them amusing.

This is software simulation of football and therefore, all possible results are limited to the software's capabilities and sophistication. Whatever actions one or another player takes, whether in a Human vs CPU or a Human vs Human game, the results will be determined by the software and be bound by the limitations of the software.

All game controls and variables work within these same limitations. Sliders, Difficulty Settings, Player Ratings, Equalize Teams, Play Style Options,etc. provide the User with the abiltiy to alter parameters within these global limitations and provide the User with the opportunity to customize his/her individual game experience.

If one User wants to leave Sliders at Default Settings, while another User wants to adjust Sliders to achieve what he/she believes is a more realistic game performance, then both are equally correct in their respective approaches. Conflcits should only arise when two Humans play each other and those should be settled between the players by a pre-game agreement upon where to set all adjustable features.

NCAA10 contains more adjustable play features than any previous version of the game and they all interactively affect the way the game plays.

So, my answer to the original question about how to play Defense is to experiment with all of the game adjustments to find the set or sets which best suit your style of game play and what results you want to achieve. Moreover, enjoy the experimental process itself, which can add many hours of enjoyable play time to your experience.

One more comment: Although "Momentum Effect" is not visible in NCAA10, it is still very much a part of the game experience and generally accounts for the sudden shifts in fortunes and can most readily be observed to be in action when CPU teams suddenly become "unstoppable". But, there are multiple ways to alter the Momentum effect, either with superb play-calling or actions such as changing the Difficulty Level during the game. Momentum Effect is just another variable that the NCAA Developers have tossed in to the mix to add to your enjoyment, so why let it frustrate you.

Have fun and, remember, it is software and, unless it malfunctions, the game will always respond within its global limitations.

Art D
Old 02-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 29

Art D, I think you're misunderstanding the comments in this thread no one as far as I can tell is saying one way is more correct than the other way. We are all just trying to offer the OP our own insights into how to play defense successfully.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
Art D, I think you're misunderstanding the comments in this thread no one as far as I can tell is saying one way is more correct than the other way. We are all just trying to offer the OP our own insights into how to play defense successfully.
moylan55 - I don't think I am misunderstanding the comments. The initial poster asked for help. What he got instead was a detailed exchange of views on use of Sliders, etc. from several players, with very little help regarding how he might proceed to ease his frustrations. How much more help it might have been if the responders had taken time to mention all of the available adjustments and how they seem to affect the game, rather than engaging in a discourse about whose play style was most realistic or whose skill sets were the best versus the CPU.

In my admittedly lengthy post, at least I tried to mention the various features and encourage the originaal poster to experiment and enjoy the journey, rather than continue to be frustrated. Perhaps we can both agree that, with the range of adjustments in NCAA10, it is possible to make the game perform in just about any way a player might desire.

Art D.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 26

Art, you will find in life that sometimes threads seem to get off-topic for whatever reasons. But you were here to save the day, thank goodness...
Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art01
moylan55 - I don't think I am misunderstanding the comments. The initial poster asked for help. What he got instead was a detailed exchange of views on use of Sliders, etc. from several players, with very little help regarding how he might proceed to ease his frustrations. How much more help it might have been if the responders had taken time to mention all of the available adjustments and how they seem to affect the game, rather than engaging in a discourse about whose play style was most realistic or whose skill sets were the best versus the CPU.
exactly, you misunderstood. there was no talk of whose method was the best. People were just letting the OP know which methods they use. I don't use sliders so I wouldn't mention them as an option the people that do use sliders mentioned them. That's the point of a thread like this different people give their own take on how to solve the OP's issue. It's then up to the OP to go through thread and take ideas from various people. There was a little back and forth, but it was never at the level you're suggesting. When I start a thread looking for help I don't expect one poster to come in and give me every option available in the game instead I expect each responder to give me their own impressions and thereby the thread as a whole is able to provide assistance. In my view that's exactly what happened here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
I hear you, but i'm skeptical. i'm not convinced that "more realistic" doesn't equal easier to dominate. I get that the game has flaws and at times the CPU seems unstoppable, but I actually really like that because like sting was saying it's easy to put long win streaks together and suffer very few losses so imo anything the CPU has to do in order to compete is ok by me.
I agree with you. Like I said, I havent adjust sliders(expect penalty sliders) since Madden 05/Madden 06 on PS2 because it was too stressful and I spent more time adjust sliders than playing the game. And besides, default sliders are more difficult, which like you, I like. I just wanted some helpful tips for pass defense.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #23
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3
I agree with you. Like I said, I havent adjust sliders(expect penalty sliders) since Madden 05/Madden 06 on PS2 because it was too stressful and I spent more time adjust sliders than playing the game. And besides, default sliders are more difficult, which like you, I like. I just wanted some helpful tips for pass defense.

To moylan55: OK, I accept your explanation of the value of the banter as presented in the thread.

To Ravensfan2k3: You have agreed with moylan55 regarding the thread, so I trust that you received the pass defense help you requested via the responses.

So, like the Old Dude that I am, I'll now just fade away.....

Art D.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art01
To moylan55: OK, I accept your explanation of the value of the banter as presented in the thread.

To Ravensfan2k3: You have agreed with moylan55 regarding the thread, so I trust that you received the pass defense help you requested via the responses.

So, like the Old Dude that I am, I'll now just fade away.....

Art D.
No, I've got alittle help...I was just telling him that I see where he coming from in regards of adjust sliders and telling him why others adjust sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »