Home

MO- Cap and Movement..

This is a discussion on MO- Cap and Movement.. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #17
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: MO- Cap and Movement..

I think the suits make the guys who do the mo-cap look less athletic than they actually are.

Nonetheless, it would be nice to see real college athletes do some of the mo-cap. They could've perhaps captured some guys from the senior bowl to mo-cap NCAA 2012.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 04-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan52
I also tore my ACL and blew out my meniscus junior year... disappointment. But I do agree we should have at the least 2nd year players or at least someone athletic doing the Mo-cap.
I must agree the dudes doing the MoCap were awful...No wonder the running animations look weird and often un-athletic,,,Come on EA there has to a be a college student or guy down at the local YMCA that can step in and give us a better more realistic look.

Those fools they had in the mocap session looked like they just got finished polishing off a dozen doughnuts and a sixer of brews
Old 04-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I think the suits make the guys who do the mo-cap look less athletic than they actually are.

Nonetheless, it would be nice to see real college athletes do some of the mo-cap. They could've perhaps captured some guys from the senior bowl to mo-cap NCAA 2012.
I disagree...ever see Dwight Howard in his MoCap suit???
Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
I must agree the dudes doing the MoCap were awful...No wonder the running animations look weird and often un-athletic,,,Come on EA there has to a be a college student or guy down at the local YMCA that can step in and give us a better more realistic look.

Those fools they had in the mocap session looked like they just got finished polishing off a dozen doughnuts and a sixer of brews
LOL.

There's a bunch of problems with what everyone's proposing, but none really are the real issue.

1. you cannot use college athletes and pay them; that is a violation of NCAA eligibility rules.

2. guys at the senior bowl, especially guys who might make the top 3 rounds, do NOT want to take part in something that might get them critically injured before their NFL career even begins. How would that look if Tim Tebow went in for mocap and tore his ACL right before the draft? You think he would've gone to the Broncos in the first round?

3. The EA mocap studio is in Vancouver. You have to fly football players into Vancouver because, well, football just ain't that big up there. The same complaint was made about Live (Elite); there's just no good basketball talent up in Vancouver, so the mocap never looked all that great because they got guys at the local Y or whatever who just weren't that good.

The biggest problem, though, is that the animation group ends up skewering and butchering the animation. You could put Chris Johnson in the suit and get a beautiful run cycle out of him, with "perfect" mocap data. The data then goes to the animation group that chops it up into tiny pieces to fit their new ice-skating locomotion system. Everybody moves like they're skating, and it has nothing to do with how the data was captured! It has everything to do with what happens POST capture. And until that gets fixed, you will continue to see choppy animations, skating football players, and robots who could ... go ... all ... the ... WAY.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »