Home

Dynamic Rivalries

This is a discussion on Dynamic Rivalries within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Rookie

vanderbiltfan87's Arena

OVR: 5
Dynamic Rivalries

So I was on the road for a few hours and started thinking about NCAA 11. Like most of you, I'm pretty excited about this year's game, but at the same time I always dream of more new features. One gripe I see often on here is the lack of customization, especially regarding rivalries. (More importantly the inability to edit T.B. teams' rivalries) So I came up with something that I thought would be great for dynasty, offline and online. I'll just sum it up in a few lines hopefully.

1. First and foremost, we should be able to edit every team's rivalries. Now, I would propose a 'rivalry bank' for each team. Thus every team has say 5-7 slots for rivalries. (Note that some teams' rivalries have more than others so not all slots have to be filled) For example, UF would have FSU and Miami as well as Tennessee, Georgia, and perhaps more recently LSU. But, we would be able to change these for customization's sake.

2. So you all are saying big deal. Well these 'rivalry banks' would really pay off in dynasty mode if they could be dynamic or ever changing. To accomplish this, a 'rivalry meter' could be used to gauge the current level of a rivalry. The dynamic rivalry ratings could be dependent on things like the closeness of final scores between the two teams, the magnitude of the games (top 10 match-up perhaps), or recruiting battles.

Let us say that I take UF into a dynasty. First, I can edit my rivalries before dynasty begins, but I choose to keep the aforementioned rivals. (Note: I'm just using UF because most people know their rivals and honestly if I used Vanderbilt, most of you wouldn't read this post) Now, coming into dynasty year one, UF's rivalry with FSU may not be what it used to be. FSU has fallen off, but of course this is still a heated game. So the 'rivalry scale' for FSU may be around an 80 out of 100. But, if the games start becoming close over the years, or the magnitude of the game increases (i.e. top 10 match up) then the 80 would increase up to say 100. Now that this rivalry is big time again, then perhaps it would become the Saturday night game of the week because it would have national implications. However, the rivalry could just as easily decline once again if the games become blowouts, etc.

So what's dynamic about this? Well, users should have the ability to lock certain rivalries so that they will always be around. UF and FSU will always be rivals so why should they never cease? For this to happen, a limit can be used to continue the games. I'd use 75 as the limit for locked rivalries. If the UF/FSU rivalry dips to a 75, it just won't be as strong as a rivalry. But, throughout the dynasty that can change.

3. But some rivalries come and go like UF and Georgia, Tennessee, or LSU. These rivalries should not be locked so no minimum of a 75 on the scale would be present. If the UF/LSU rivalry drops below 75 then it will become nonexistent. This would then allow for new rivalries to develop throughout the dynasty. (As an aside, I would say rivalries would start to grow between 50 and 75 on the scale. Once it hits 75 a rivalry has started. A game between UF and say Kent State would have a 0 on the scale. Other SEC opponents would matter more but still fall below the 50)

Let's say UK becomes a powerhouse. UF and UK start having classic games or battle it out for top recruits. Then UF's rivalry rating with UK would climb into the 50-75 range and finally above 75, creating a rivalry. But, again, this rivalry could decline and allow for new ones to come along.

4. T.B. teams. If we were to have the ability to edit rivalries at the dynasty start menu, then we should be able to edit our T.B. team's rivals as well. It should work just as the same as any other FBS school. Then inside dynasty, the dynamic rivalry system should also be able to work for our created schools.

I think dynamic rivalries would add another dimension to dynasty. Though I'm no programmer, I wouldn't think this concept would be too challenging to accomplish. Every time we play a dynasty, our rivalries could be different. It would be great to play an online dynasty and develop a rivalry with another online user just because we have had epic games the last few years. Without this dynamic rivalry system, I would still know I have a big game upcoming when I am about to play this guy. But being able to chart a rivalry would be awesome. (Imagine how dynamic presentation would work with dynamic rivalries. I know, I know I am getting too far ahead of myself.)

I know there are many people who won't even read this post because it is rather long. Sucks to have your attention span. But I'd like to see what others have to say about this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Dynamic Rivalries

Excellent, excellent idea. Dynasty mode would add TONS of re-playability with a feature like this. Of course it's only wishful thinking but this would be amazing.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Banned

Xaos's Arena

OVR: 15

I agree with the post above.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

This is a nice idea, but I'd much rather see a "Career Dynasty" feature where u start out at a tiny school and work your way up the ranks, earning coaching points along the way like in college hoops 2k8
Old 06-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Rookie

gofresno's Arena

OVR: 8

Rivalries mean nothing in the game. Just about every game feels the same regaurdless of a rivalry game or not. This feature would be nice if they could create a gameday atmosphere that corresponds with it though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

I would like to see this, playing as UCF I want to move away from the USF rivalry because they won't even agree to play UCF anymore. Although it is fun getting into the Big East and beating them every year.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
Pro

Bolt957's Arena

OVR: 14

I love the idea of having permanent, traditional rivalries and gaining new rivals through the years. But what I think would really be cool to add to it is if you had the ability to Create a Rivalry Trophy and be able to name it and write a history and tradition behind it. The trophy feature might takes years to create, but I love your Dynamic Rivalry system vanderbiltfan87!!
Old 06-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
six
Banned

OVR: 6

UK becoming a force? I like the way you think Vandy fan lol. I must admit that on my UK dynasty last year, played about 10 seasons, FL was a team and game that became my rival every year, even bigger than TN. Florida had like 4 one loss regular seasons, and all were to me. I remember the first game I beat them, I did it with a kickoff return for TD, an INT for TD, and a lucky long screen pass. I played it conservatively and won a defensive game. I agree with the OP, rivalries should be able to develop.

Great idea, but EA couldn't implement it, come on now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »