Home

PLAYBOOK QUESTION?

This is a discussion on PLAYBOOK QUESTION? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
PLAYBOOK QUESTION?

can sum1 give me a good explaination between the differences from the air raid, spread, run n shoot, and no-huddle spread offenses, and how they are effective please? they seem like they are the same to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Rookie

Barkley7's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: PLAYBOOK QUESTION?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH3
can sum1 give me a good explaination between the differences from the air raid, spread, run n shoot, and no-huddle spread offenses, and how they are effective please? they seem like they are the same to me.
The air raid is basically pass the ball 50+ times a game. The Run n shoot is very much like the air raid, but there is plenty of motion and receivers have multiple route choices to run. No-Huddle Spread offenses are used to create tempo, wear down, and frustrate defenses. There are different types of spread offenses. For example, Michigan and Oregon have a run-first spread offense that uses misdirection.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
Rookie

do u kno how to be really successful with these offenses? any tips?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:

Spread describes general formations where receivers and/or running backs are spread out across the line of scrimmage covering much of the entire width of the field. Any spread formation forces the defense to cover more of the field than a double TE full house backfield where everyone is within the "box."

Two types of spread offenses are Air Raid, and Run and Shoot.

Air Raid is a pass heavy offense where four and five receivers are used at times. Rarely is the running game used and the offense attacks all parts of the field.

Run and Shoot is a style that looks to pass the ball as quick as possible. It used to use a lot of motion but now uses trips quite a lot. Run and Shoot uses short/quick conservative passes to move the ball down the field. The short passing game replaces the run game, essentially.

No-Huddle is just a way of implementing play calling for an offense. Instead of huddling up, the offense looks to the sideline and gets a signal. This allows for the offense to quickly get into formation and run the next play. This fatigues the defense, creates confusion for the defense, and makes it hard for the defense to make personnel adjustments/substitutions.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

Quote:
do u kno how to be really successful with these offenses? any tips?
The answer to that is yes, but it's very complicated if you want to know how to execute a lot of different offenses. No two spread sets are the same.

I'd be glad to help, but it would be nice if you could narrow it down based on what your favorite style is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
Rookie

ok so like texas tech would be an air raid and texas would be a run n shoot n oregon would b like a option spread right?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

Quote:
ok so like texas tech would be an air raid and texas would be a run n shoot n oregon would b like a option spread right?
Yes, Texas Tech is Air Raid. Texas is spread but they run the ball a lot more and use multiple sets. Passing the ball quick and short (underneath) is as much a "West Coast" style as anything.

SMU is the ideal Run and Shoot team. They are in shotgun and four or five wide the whole game. Texas has way more variance in their formations and philosophy.

Florida would be a good example of Spread option.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
Rookie

ok i would need help with the run n shoot. because i would like to pass 85-90% of the game. how would i dominate with this O?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »