Home

The Run and Shoot

This is a discussion on The Run and Shoot within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8
The Run and Shoot

I've been a fan of this offense since the Houston Oilers ran it in the 90's and I'm a fan of any team that runs it. But no other videogame other than Joe Montana Football circa 1994 had a run and shoot play book (receivers with multiple route breaks). I am so psyched for this year's NCAA FB title now that they are using the actual schemes. My question is has anyone seen the playbooks for SMU and Hawaii and is it a true run and shoot?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: The Run and Shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills
I've been a fan of this offense since the Houston Oilers ran it in the 90's and I'm a fan of any team that runs it. But no other videogame other than Joe Montana Football circa 1994 had a run and shoot play book (receivers with multiple route breaks). I am so psyched for this year's NCAA FB title now that they are using the actual schemes. My question is has anyone seen the playbooks for SMU and Hawaii and is it a true run and shoot?
So far, all we have seen is this...

When I first saw that I got excited, because 61 X Choice and 60 Go are actual Run & Shoot plays. I have several playbooks of Mouse Davis and one from June Jones circa 2002. Then someone posted on here that these plays were in Navy's play book in NCAA 10!

How does Navy get Run & Shoot plays???

That first play, Curl - Post - Wheel should actually be 60 Switch for the R&S and here's how it should be diagrammed...

There should only be 2 WR's on each side of the field, not trips, so imagine the A WR on the left side in the slot. The B WR should run the route they have A running, with of course options in there... hook, post, go, or 10 and in... The LB WR would do just as he is doing, but keep in mind, he is the slot receiver now and so when he runs that route and B runs his route they would be "switching" which creates huge plays in Man>Man.

On the other side of the field X would run a Go and A, who is now in the left slot, would run one of several Option routes, including a Go up the seam against Man or a Hook if in Zone.

One thing I will be looking for is if they implemented the Shovel Pass in the Run & Shoot offense. June Jones uses this play in place of a run, but Hawaii and now SMU use{d} it a lot. I doubt that EA got it in because I cannot get an EA rep to confirm or deny it. That said, there's no excuse for them to not have the Shovel Pass in the game.

Will the offense be a true Run & Shoot? We shall see... rest assured I will be airing my thoughts on it here soon.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

OVR: 7

I'd be careful about getting too excited about the Run & Shoot; for starters, the three plays above were already in NCAA 10.

I can't imagine the devs put that much work into an offensive scheme that few teams use -- although it'd be nice if they did.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Great to see fellow pony fans here! I'm also excited to see this offense in the game but I doubt it will be 100% accurate due to limitations in the game. I wonder how high Padron is ranked? Either way it should be fun to play with them this season....if only Texas wasn't such an easy state to recruit in...
Old 06-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
So far, all we have seen is this...

When I first saw that I got excited, because 61 X Choice and 60 Go are actual Run & Shoot plays. I have several playbooks of Mouse Davis and one from June Jones circa 2002. Then someone posted on here that these plays were in Navy's play book in NCAA 10!

How does Navy get Run & Shoot plays???

That first play, Curl - Post - Wheel should actually be 60 Switch for the R&S and here's how it should be diagrammed...

There should only be 2 WR's on each side of the field, not trips, so imagine the A WR on the left side in the slot. The B WR should run the route they have A running, with of course options in there... hook, post, go, or 10 and in... The LB WR would do just as he is doing, but keep in mind, he is the slot receiver now and so when he runs that route and B runs his route they would be "switching" which creates huge plays in Man>Man.

On the other side of the field X would run a Go and A, who is now in the left slot, would run one of several Option routes, including a Go up the seam against Man or a Hook if in Zone.

One thing I will be looking for is if they implemented the Shovel Pass in the Run & Shoot offense. June Jones uses this play in place of a run, but Hawaii and now SMU use{d} it a lot. I doubt that EA got it in because I cannot get an EA rep to confirm or deny it. That said, there's no excuse for them to not have the Shovel Pass in the game.

Will the offense be a true Run & Shoot? We shall see... rest assured I will be airing my thoughts on it here soon.
Ran this offense in HS.

Those are indeed the exact plays as you described. Right down to the terminology. Never ran the shovel pass, though. Did have a Hook and Ladder type play we liked to run once in a while.

Think it was called 59 Georgia.

Miss it so bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
MVP

SuperSeahawks's Arena

OVR: 14

Can't wait to use this offense with a Florida or Miami, should be fun.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Rookie

Warrior8o8's Arena

OVR: 3

I got this off of some one who had supposedly helped EA Tiburon.

"Primarily, what I would say is a bonus for us this year, is that we were able to implement proper option routes into the Hawaii/SMU playbook. So for all you video-game QB's you can actually make R&S reads on the fly in game now; Choice/Switch/Go are all in there + Thunder/Divide/Georgia too. (these are more set routes though, Curl/Flat concept or double out/vertical stretch backside slant variations)"

"Having a realistic simulation of the Run& Shoot is pretty bad *** though I must say. Gonna have all kinds of fun exposing backside single coverage with option routes n killing the flats/seams with numbers against zone haha."
Old 06-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
From The Ashes

xOLDBHOYx's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner31
Great to see fellow pony fans here! I'm also excited to see this offense in the game but I doubt it will be 100% accurate due to limitations in the game. I wonder how high Padron is ranked? Either way it should be fun to play with them this season....if only Texas wasn't such an easy state to recruit in...
Im rolling with SMU this year and checked them out while new TB was up, before they pulled it, i believe Padron was a 78...his speed was 68 which i wont be used to...but its all good....one disappointment was Darryl Fields the Freshman runningback ive been hearing good things about....if its him #25 hes like a 67 with 82 spd....i beleive he ran a 4.31 and just won a bunch of track stuff....oh well we shall see what happens after tehy put the TB site back up...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »