Home

How do YOU play Defense?

This is a discussion on How do YOU play Defense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #33
Rookie

nolesfan69's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How do YOU play Defense?

I normally play as a MLB or DT but I have never
played as a safety or corner because I can't
cover as well as the AI.

3 time ACC Champs- 2011, 2012 and 2015
1 time Orange Bowl Champs- 2011
National Champions - 2012
Bowl Games 5-2
Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #34
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21

I play a lot of nickel. Even when they are in 2 WR sets. And I dont blitz a ton. I control the RE and get the pressure on the QB. I always adjust the D-Line to spread and then Crash in, It always takes up the O-line and if there is a toss my LB's can catch up to the RB. I like playing a lot of man to man. Oh and my base is the 4-3
Old 06-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #35
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

i just dont like the cpu deciding my outcome for me. Part of the reason you play video games is to have that control. In real life i can only call a defense but it's up to my players to perform on the field but in a video game i can have that control. It's not fun for me to just let the cpu do the work of the other 10 players. The game still plays pretty realistic, it's not like you're cheating or anything, you're just switching to a player in better position to make the play. I actually make more stupid mistakes that hurt me than the cpu would so the cpu actually benefits from me switching. It just seems silly to me to control the DE, if they run the opposite way or pass and i'm not by the play then i'm basically just watching. I like to control the DE at the start of the play then switch based off how the play is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 55

I use a player in the middle of the field:

MLB/OLB, Slot DB, SS/FS

My goal is to usually find the obvious weakness in my alignment on defense and correct it so my opponent has to do more than beat my alignment on D. After that, my goal is to take away either his favorite area by manually controlling the defender responsible for it or the area that looks "easiest" to attack. So, for example a lot of people like to shove seam routes to slot WR's against a cover 3. I make guys do something else by playing the nearest hook zone manually and taking that away. Just an example.

I want to take away the obvious route and make someone do more than the easiest thing they know to beat my particular play. I continually mix it up, so the change of plays and change of strengths/weaknesses in the play is my route to success.

Overall, I'm not a heavy blitzer. I try to keep it at or under 33%, or one in three plays at most. If I blitz, it's generally 5 or 6 and most often it's a tricky zone blitz and not a brute force man to man press blitz. I don't like calling "all in" plays where it's either a sack or a big play.

EDIT: I also switch on to the nearest player often on plays, including deep balls. I feel like I can make a better play than the CPU more often than not given my view.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 06-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #37
Tim Tebow has landed!

T3B0W's Arena

OVR: 22

I am the Defensive Co-Ordinator, nothing more in Dynasties. If I am playing mates or exhibition games, I line up at DE.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #38
Banned

JJ_Bills9's Arena

OVR: 5

One of the linebackers. Usually the middle backer unless I really like one of my outside guys.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #39
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

I prefer to play as the middle linebacker and read keys (guards) and fly to the spot from there. I've noticed that playing with linebackers is much harder this year as the linemen get out to them for the blocks much quicker and more effectively.

I try not to switch and NEVER switch to anyone in the secondary because nothing good usually comes out of it.

Since I'm a defensive coordinator in the real world, it makes the experience very exciting in the game because I can make tons of changes pre-snap that I wish high school kids could do in real life.

I don't care what the base defense is, but I prefer a 4-3. I matchup my defense to the offense based on how many TE's and WR's they have. I also take into consideration if it's a running down or passing down.

If I think a pass is coming I prefer to play man under coverage. I also play zone coverage but I mix it up and show blitz/man/press a lot to disguise what I'm really in.

Another thing I do is to slide my defensive linemen and linebackers based on the alignment and also adjust my safeties presnap.

I blitz maybe 40% of the time (just guessing) but it really depends on the circumstance.

I try to get in the head of the offensive coordinator and stay one step ahead, a lot of it is instincts from real life and is hard to explain to a casual gamer unless you've spent several years and thousands of hours breaking down offenses in real life.

Football is a game of situations and knowing what to expect is the key. So I guess my philosophy/approach isn't doing something a certain amount, but instead my aim is winning every situation.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #40
Pro

shaunlmason's Arena

OVR: 13

MLB with player lock.

Before the camera switched, I used to play D-Line because it wasn't very intuitive playing in coverage.

Now I can break on the ball when I need to, and fill the running lanes. I usually put up pretty good numbers with my MLB. I think my best season this in NCAA '10 was 150ish tackles, 5 sacks and 3 interceptions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »