Home

How do you feel about NCAA's new focus towards online features?

This is a discussion on How do you feel about NCAA's new focus towards online features? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
How do you feel about NCAA's new focus towards online features?

I think its fairly obvious, in my opinion, that over the last few versions of NCAA that online features and additions are taking precedent over offline content. A few examples:

• Online Dynasty + yearly additions and improvements to make it more like offline dynasty
  • Online Team builder
  • Interactive online dynasty reporting. (stories, reports, ect.)
  • Season Showdown

Although some of these features are very good additions (team builder), I cant help but feel that fellow offline players such as myself are being left out in the cold as far as additions are concerned. I never used Season Showdown, simply due to its in game annoyance, and I'm simply not an online dynasty guy. I prefer to play offline and have full control over my dynasty and when I can play my games.

This is the digital age and I can understand EA's commitment towards online features, but I feel that this has come at a cost to new offline features and improvements. The new recruiting mechanics in NCAA 11 look to be interesting and I cant wait to try it out, but all in all I feel like I'm going to end up playing the same dynasty mode that I've been playing for the last 3, 4, or 5 years.

I feel as though EA has taken the mindset of " Well, as far as dynasty improvements go, we can just start up a bare bones online dynasty mode, and then add on pre-existing features into online mode to bring it up to speed, and that will qualify as our dynasty improvements for the next few years."

I'm not sure how many people are like me and prefer to play offline modes more than online, but I do feel as if my game play preference is being alienated as far as new features are concerned. Anyone agree? disagree?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: How do you feel about NCAA's new focus towards online features?

i've been playing the series since 98, and i must say the online dynasty is the best thing that happened to the series!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

I agree with you. They have plenty to work on and fix with offline. It would be better to really get everything worked out for the mode that everybody can use instead of putting everything into a mode that not everybody can use.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

I agree to an extent. I understand that they want the game to be more "global" if you will, and having the ability to do a dynasty by myself and have all the on-line story features and saving highlights for God knows how many seasons is cool, but my concerns are many...

For one, I also understand that some people do not have the ability to have an internet connection and therefor are left out, not only in the features department, but also patches/fixes. {If I understand how patches work}

I also worry that I will spend time on an on-line feature... dynasty story, recruiting, etc... and there will be a glitch that will erase everything I did and all that work will be wasted.

I also don't agree that things like Nike Pro Combat uniforms can only be achieved through playing the demo or using Team Builder. They may be the minority, but there are people getting left behind w/ those scenarios.

Unfortunately, I agree that the on-line thing is the future. But it would be nice if EA could make it more friendly for those w/ out internet connections.

My other concern w/ on-line being the future is this... we all know there are tons of "cheesers" out there. Guys who look for every little way to manipulate the game and take advantage of flaws. Yet they are rewarded simply because they have access to the internet. It would be nice if EA realized that there are many people who prefer a serious, non-cheesing game. As close to real life as possible.

Yes, it is a video game, but that doesn't mean they have to cater to 10 year olds. Just look at the thread asking people's age here... many guys are over 30. Although I am certain it wouldn't be feasible from a monetary point, it would be nice if there was an NCAA for 6-12 year olds and one for serious gamers. That would allow the cheesers their own little world far removed from ours.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
MVP

TajDeni's Arena

OVR: 10

as far as i understand it...everything is the same cept in ODs you get Dynasty Wire....and in offline you get to switch conferences if you'd like....they both got the same recruiting overhual....

so like i said they both at this point mirror each other pretty well....i do understand your concern tho and share in some of it myself...as i do play in ODs, i do not play ranked games online because im not a glitcher or cheeser and do not have time for such players....so i find myself when not involved in an OD situation playing by myself offline....

a small little nugget that i think that all video game sports franchise should keep in mind cause random online games is a place i feel where the attitude is just win at all cost...whatever that means for whatever individual....and not everyone who buys the game subscribe to that pov

but that being that..2-things,
1: this yr atleast i dont really think you have an reason to make your claim....and
2: to support your claim...welcome to the future....most likely online will be the death of offline..but not yet tho
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I have been playing since 98 as well so any and all improvements are great. I have played 2 games and didn't like it and don't have the time to play online dynasties. But as long as they make it where you could play solo online dynasties which I saw today where you can then I have no issues with the online focus. As long as we move forward and not backwards like in years past then I'm good.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajDeni
as far as i understand it...everything is the same cept in ODs you get Dynasty Wire....and in offline you get to switch conferences if you'd like....they both got the same recruiting overhual....
Would you mind elaborating on this point? I have not played NCAA since the 09 version.

Are you saying that if I play an offline dynasty, I am able to (in the off-season I presume) leave my conference and join another one? Or will it be like the last gen NCAA games and I may get a conference invite.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras
Would you mind elaborating on this point? I have not played NCAA since the 09 version.

Are you saying that if I play an offline dynasty, I am able to (in the off-season I presume) leave my conference and join another one? Or will it be like the last gen NCAA games and I may get a conference invite.

He means the in an online dynasty you wont get conference invites, and as far as I know, you dont get fired from your school or have coaching contracts like in offline.

In offline dynasty if you are at a non-BCS conference school and you do well enough then BCS conferences will send your team an invite to replace a team already in their conference. Like Troy from the Sun Belt replacing Miss. St. from the SEC for example.

These are a few features that online dynasty wont have this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »