Home

Anybody else having this issue with the read option?

This is a discussion on Anybody else having this issue with the read option? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 20
Anybody else having this issue with the read option?

I make the correct read and keep it, only to have one or more defenders break free of their block or a blitzing linebacker who doesn't react to the fake on the handoff be right in the backfield to stop my QB. The defensive player your reading on should not be the only one who bites on the fake handoff. So far I have played on All-American and on Varsity with Playmakers sliders and this has seemed to be the case.

I think I can count on my hand how many gains of 5 yards or more I have had when keeping the ball with the QB.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 07-16-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Anybody else having this issue with the read option?

I've been pretty successful running the ball, but i cant seem to get this play down. Every time i run it it seems like three d lineman are in the backfield. But other than that the blocking system is fantastic this year. I absolutely love having my linemen pull and set up a block with them.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 9

I've noticed it as well. I am pretty sure this is how it went down:

- EA programs the defense to know a read option has been called
- Offensive line programmed to leave the playside end unblocked, like it should be
- Playside end programmed to randomly bite or stay home, absolutely no rhyme or reason and NOT based on what you've done to that point, you could have handed off to the back a dozen times in a row and on the 13th time, it is still a crap shoot if he stays home or crashes.
- The offensive line has no other programmed responsibilities on the play. When they SHOULD be getting to the next level and getting the backers, they are instead treating the play like any other run and just block whatever is nearest to them.
- The defense, treating it like any other run, just flies into the backfield... which, combined with the extremely slow give animation, makes it a very difficult play to run successfully.

I have had ONE run longer than 5 yards on a read option keep, it was by Cody Green and it went for 40 and a touchdown. It is just so slow developing that even if the thing was programmed correctly, I don't think it would be all that successful.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Bump up run block a little and bump down CPU run defense. I've done this and am having more consistent 4-5 yard runs and the occasional big play
Old 07-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Bump up run block a little and bump down CPU run defense. I've done this and am having more consistent 4-5 yard runs and the occasional big play

The issue with that though is it will make other run plays be too easy. I don't want to make the read option be effective at the cost of making the rest of the running game too easy.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 9

Yea and the regular rushing attack is easy enough as it is, it doesn't need slider help. I guess I'll hope I get lucky the few times I run the read option, or run more motion triple option type plays to help it out a bit.

The HB Dive play out of the gun is money though, that handoff is much more like what the read option give should be like. I usually just run that and then a QB Wrap or QB Power if I want to run with the QB.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

IDK. Im using playmakers varsity sliders. Im not saying make any drastic changes, just a couple notches.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:00 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Yeah I've run into this problem too on All-American. You must be like me, trying to implement a realistic UMich offense (i.e., no huddle and LOTS of read option). It's unfortunate that it doesn't work very well. Even with Denard Robinson at QB it's nearly impossible to escape from the backfield if you keep the ball. I think you're exactly right about the animation taking too long. Someone always comes off a block before I can make any progress downfield.

It's a great concept for the game, but the execution is off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »