Home

Recruiting as a 1 star...

This is a discussion on Recruiting as a 1 star... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Recruiting as a 1 star...

First year with EMU, i managed to get 10 3 stars on AA. I did not expect it to be so easy but it was. The key is to identify 3 star guys who still have a full list and who are getting NO interest. Put a full hour into them. Some will be a bust and get you nothing, some will need 2 hours to get on their list and some will just send you to the top from the 1 hour.

2nd season and I am a 2 star. I will not get him likely but I am neck and neck with Purdue for a 4 star SS. Next year when I hit 3, I should be able to pull them in.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

In my first year with Tulane I managed to get 3 4 Stars(#4 WR, #6 DT, #8 OT) as well as 8 3 Stars and the rest of my class was rounded out with 2 and 1 stars. I also found a hidden gem. A 1* Athlete that I signed came in rated a 52 at the athlete spot but once I moved him to WR he became a 69. I know this isn't the greatest but thats a very good 1*. I ended up signing a full 25 man class but was only ranked 69th in the nation. Oh. St had the #1 class with 8 5*. I also was in the race with the #1 rated CB 4th overall in nation until last week of the season when he signed with Florida

Last edited by daking5; 07-29-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 20

One thing that I have noticed, especially with lower rated recruits, is u can't just look at it as "this guy is the highest rated 2* G interested in me going in and has me in his top 3 so he is the best bet". Their interest in you beyond you being in the top 10 is really irrelevant. Early on most of these players will not receive any other offers so if you give them an offer and some attention you can be way ahead before anyone has a chance. Therefore you really have to look into finding players with the skills to help you rather than just any 2* to fill the spot.

Another thing, athletes are awesome for finding gems. Sure, some may not be anything worth while but there are always a few gems in there, especially if you change their position and especially if you use formation subs to get them into the right place. For instance rather than going after a 58-60 overall OLB to provide depth you can find an athlete who is a 55 as an OLB and a 55 as a SS. Sure, if you are looking for a starter the 1st guy may be better but as a backup the athlete will often have the coverage skills to be a very good nickel LB and will have athleticism to run with some TEs and backs in coverage. You may also find the same DE/OLB prospect who you can sub in to blitz and use when you need extra pressure or find a TE or FB who blocks as well as mid to low level linemen or a WR with YAC skills like a back or whatever the case may be.

Also, athletes are rated in whatever their primary position is but sometimes a change will make them much better, I had one who was a 51 as an athlete and as a FS which must have been his primary position but he was a 56 as a HB or a 58 as either a CB or a WR and on to of that he had 60 throw accuracy. This made him a very solid weapon, I could put him in at corner where he was decent enough in coverage to keep up with slot guys or TEs, I could play him in the slot as a WR where his YAC skills were decent, I could play him in the wildcat where he could run or even throw occasionally for a big play. Sure, he was never going to be a great player but he could help out in a lot of ways.

As for non athlete players the key is just look for anything above a D+ in a couple key areas. Those guys will usually be in the upper end of their range
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
Rookie

Nextel Husker's Arena

OVR: 4

Good writeup kcarr. I will use this advice.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

I've had a 3* come in at 75 ovr, my highest for a 3* & I've had a 4* come in at 69, my lowest for a 4*.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »