Home

Running the option

This is a discussion on Running the option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #25
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Running the option

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdahman
Great stuff dude, from using GT on my own, I had picked up on reading the DE and handing off to my FB, but I never really considered reading the Safety; I'll have to start doing that now and keep it in mind when thinking about pitching or not.
Thanks. Sometimes you can split the gap between safties with the QB if he is quick enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 9

Hey slaticus, of all the options you have run (I, Wish, Flex, Spread, Pistol), which do you prefer?

I really want to incorporate option in my offense, especially Nebraska style I formation but of all the option styles, I have the least success with the I. I've actually had a ton of success with the Pistol offense, but I am discouraged by the lack of development Pistol playbooks (except Indiana, which is fun).

I really want to run spread, but it seems like it is too easy to stop. The option read vs. a 3 man front is programmed very poorly, all someone has to do is pinch the DL and the read is almost impossible on the outside backer. It also doesn't help that someone can put 8 in the box and still recover quick enough to stop a lot of passes.

I don't like Flex all that much just schematically, my dream offense is essentially the Paul Johnson Flex run out of a Pistol/Shotgun look. A bunch of jets, load options, etc. The plays are in the game, just not well developed.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #27
Rookie

DiSaStAx94's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
I hate when the read is indecisive. Or sorta "cheats" the read by staying home, and suddenly bursting to the give or keep.

Pistol offense is definitely where I've had the most fun. Thinking about starting a dynasty with Ohio, Indiana, or Nevada. Kaepernick is a lot of fun, but is a Senior, so that fun wont last very long.
I'd suggest against Nevada. I picked them for an online dynasty, had a fun first year capped by an upset of Ohio State in the Rose Bowl when Washington went on to win the National Title. It all went down the second year, they have no QB depth. Lantrip is a senior as well, so you'll be starting Fajardo with speed and 64 overall, or (I forget his name), slower with better passer ratings, both have maybe 50 awareness. Mark will fill in pretty well at RB, but Fajardo's horrible awareness they miss a lot of easy plays and pitch connections.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #28
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHusker25
Hey slaticus, of all the options you have run (I, Wish, Flex, Spread, Pistol), which do you prefer?

I really want to incorporate option in my offense, especially Nebraska style I formation but of all the option styles, I have the least success with the I. I've actually had a ton of success with the Pistol offense, but I am discouraged by the lack of development Pistol playbooks (except Indiana, which is fun).

I really want to run spread, but it seems like it is too easy to stop. The option read vs. a 3 man front is programmed very poorly, all someone has to do is pinch the DL and the read is almost impossible on the outside backer. It also doesn't help that someone can put 8 in the box and still recover quick enough to stop a lot of passes.

I don't like Flex all that much just schematically, my dream offense is essentially the Paul Johnson Flex run out of a Pistol/Shotgun look. A bunch of jets, load options, etc. The plays are in the game, just not well developed.
I love the I form. That and the wishbone are probably my two favorite. The pistol was a lot of fun as well but, the read option thing is wayyyyyy broken. I cannot get good yards with that no matter what I do
Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #29
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSaStAx94
I'd suggest against Nevada. I picked them for an online dynasty, had a fun first year capped by an upset of Ohio State in the Rose Bowl when Washington went on to win the National Title. It all went down the second year, they have no QB depth. Lantrip is a senior as well, so you'll be starting Fajardo with speed and 64 overall, or (I forget his name), slower with better passer ratings, both have maybe 50 awareness. Mark will fill in pretty well at RB, but Fajardo's horrible awareness they miss a lot of easy plays and pitch connections.
Nevada and Ohio have about the same, maybe a little worse for Ohio, back up talent at QB.

Indiana has nice QB/RB tandem who are very young. But I hate the adidas shoes in this game. Silly problem to have, but it bothers me so much.

Are there any schools that any that have the personnel to convert to the Pistol? I was thinking Michigan, but eh I dont want to wreck Michigan's Spread offense. Plus I'm not crazy about Tate Forcier, and he'd definitely go to waste with Denard Robinson getting all the snaps.

Also, Kentucky might be fun. Switch Randall Cobb to a full time QB. Hmm...

Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaticus
I love the I form. That and the wishbone are probably my two favorite. The pistol was a lot of fun as well but, the read option thing is wayyyyyy broken. I cannot get good yards with that no matter what I do
Yeah, especially the QB's first few steps after he pulls it, which is why I can't run pistol.

It seems like the read option works better out of some formations than others. Like SG Ace Twin Wk and SG Normal HB Wk work great for me, as does straight Spread formations.

I don't know, there are so many things I want to do with my scheme but no book can fulfill all of that. Wake Forest is pretty close, but I really want a playbook that has some Shotgun HB Dive plays (Spread Flex, various Wing formations). I also like Ace Big WR Quick.

Gah, what a pain. I may end up back at Air Force, Air Force comes the closest to filling everything I need, I just wish it had Wildcat.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #31
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHusker25
Yeah, especially the QB's first few steps after he pulls it, which is why I can't run pistol.

It seems like the read option works better out of some formations than others. Like SG Ace Twin Wk and SG Normal HB Wk work great for me, as does straight Spread formations.

I don't know, there are so many things I want to do with my scheme but no book can fulfill all of that. Wake Forest is pretty close, but I really want a playbook that has some Shotgun HB Dive plays (Spread Flex, various Wing formations). I also like Ace Big WR Quick.

Gah, what a pain. I may end up back at Air Force, Air Force comes the closest to filling everything I need, I just wish it had Wildcat.
CUSTOM PLAYBOOKS! We need them more than ever. I can imagine creating the ultimate option playbook. This has got to be a high priority feature for both football games next season.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
CUSTOM PLAYBOOKS! We need them more than ever. I can imagine creating the ultimate option playbook. This has got to be a high priority feature for both football games next season.
I already have my custom option playbook in mind, just need a way to install it

A ton of jet motion in the gun, Florida's Goalline package and some I formation. I guess that sounds like Florida's current book, but for some reason I am not comfortable using that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »