Home

How to defend the hurry up offense??

This is a discussion on How to defend the hurry up offense?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How to defend the hurry up offense??

I am not good at defense in this game but since I switched to the "ask coach" for all my defensive plays that has worked REALLY well but when I play a team with the hurry up no huddle offense you can't use the "ask coach" so I have to pick my own plays.....and quick...and it doesn't work out to well LOL. Any and all help is appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: How to defend the hurry up offense??

You have to call a timeout. In theory the hurry-up offense, if used other than in a situation where the offense is trying to save time, is intended to prevent the defense from changing personnel so that's why you can't change defensive formations during hurry-up offense.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

You can change defensive formations, you just can't change personnel...

If you started in a 4-2-5 and the offense goes no huddle, you can run a 3-3-5 next play, but a DE will be playing OLB. Or if you start 3-3-5, you can go to 4-3, but then you'll most likely end up with your nickelback playing DT.

So generally speaking it's best to stay in the same formation.

The best way to deal with it is by either knocking down a pass or sacking the quarterback. You only have 3 timeouts and some teams run no huddle the entire game, so obviously you can't call a timeout every time.

Just focus on matching personnel from the get go, then no matter what formation they come out in, your personnel match up--CBs guarding WRs, LBs for backs and TEs.

Generally speaking, I blitz more against a no huddle team. No huddle teams aren't generally running too much, so I'm not making myself to vulnerable to a huge run, but I am forcing quick throws (or getting sacks). The less time the QB has to throw, the less time his WR has to get open, which results in INTs and deflections for your pass coverage.

In recruiting, I also generally tend to focus on getting great defensive linemen, especially pass rushers. Once you can pressure the QB with just your front 4, everything else just falls into place.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
bb9
Rookie

bb9's Arena

OVR: 4

I make sure to always start with as many or more DBs than they have WRs. That really helps when you can't sub.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13

Pause the game and set your audibles to defend the plays he runs out of the no huddle. When his plays stop working , he'll stop no huddling. Don't worry about the tempo, defend the plays
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Besides the obvious matchup aspect that has already been mentioned, the simple answer is that you have to know your team and playbook very well. Also be sure to scout your opponent. Run/pass ratio, offensive style, impact players, etc.

Also the initial formation you call should be the one you are most comfortable with. Sometimes even if a team comes out with 3 wide I come out in a 3-4 under because I'm comfortable with it and my safeties are excellent in man coverage, which I make liberal use of with my blitzes
Old 08-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
You can change defensive formations, you just can't change personnel...

If you started in a 4-2-5 and the offense goes no huddle, you can run a 3-3-5 next play, but a DE will be playing OLB. Or if you start 3-3-5, you can go to 4-3, but then you'll most likely end up with your nickelback playing DT.

So generally speaking it's best to stay in the same formation.

The best way to deal with it is by either knocking down a pass or sacking the quarterback. You only have 3 timeouts and some teams run no huddle the entire game, so obviously you can't call a timeout every time.

Just focus on matching personnel from the get go, then no matter what formation they come out in, your personnel match up--CBs guarding WRs, LBs for backs and TEs.

Generally speaking, I blitz more against a no huddle team. No huddle teams aren't generally running too much, so I'm not making myself to vulnerable to a huge run, but I am forcing quick throws (or getting sacks). The less time the QB has to throw, the less time his WR has to get open, which results in INTs and deflections for your pass coverage.

In recruiting, I also generally tend to focus on getting great defensive linemen, especially pass rushers. Once you can pressure the QB with just your front 4, everything else just falls into place.

I agree with blitzing with man coverage behind it. also PRESS his receivers, bump n run every play to buy more time for the pass rush....force quick decisions
Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

I always come out in a pass first type of defense (Nickel or Dime) if I know they plan on NH. you always want to account for their speed. you dont want a fast RB being guarded by a slow MLB on a fade route.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »