Home

Top 25 Poll Question

This is a discussion on Top 25 Poll Question within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Top 25 Poll Question

I am brand spanking new to the world of NCAA football and I was wondering if anyone has any information (or links) that might help me to better understand how the top 25 ranking is done? I was sitting undefeated as the #1 team and two weeks later (still undefeated) I am #4 in the country. My team defeats 3 top 15 teams to get into first place and four other teams move ahead of me without beating anyone significant. Teams like USC (especially) and Oklahoma do this to me every year without beating anyone in the top 25. How is this possible?? I understand USC is a huge school, but it really seems unfair to me. There must be something that I'm somehow missing, seeing as though I am new to the game and venue?? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by zadokguy; 08-07-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Rookie

Frank the Tank's Arena

Re: Top 25 Poll Question

This actually mirrors real life. High prestige schools always get the benefit of the doubt. See Texas being in the title game last year. Played all of 3 top 25 teams all year, beat OU and Neb by 4 points total, but there they were. Don't know if the game copies this tendency on purpose, but that is how it really works.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Rookie

Thank you for the information. I thought perhaps there was something wrong with the game, but it seems like it's an integral part of the game-play. This is something that I never understood about college football, so I just had to ask. Can't say that I have a favorite team as of yet, but I am using Louisville for a challenge. They seem like good mid-tier team to learn from. I simply noticed the same two teams (USC and Oklahoma) moving up to #1 or #2 every year, but they rarely beat anyone in the top 25 (two teams perhaps) to get there. Thanks again.

Last edited by zadokguy; 08-07-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Rookie

Frank the Tank's Arena

I am certainly no authority on the game, so I don't know if it is purposeful or not. But just think of Boise State this year. They were unbeaten last year, ranked #4. I think they have 21 of 22 starters back this year, and they start the year #5. Any major program would have been a unanimous #1 choice, I would think.

It is possible that your program's number of prestige stars factor into this ranking. But again, I cannot confirm that for certain.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
I am certainly no authority on the game, so I don't know if it is purposeful or not. But just think of Boise State this year. They were unbeaten last year, ranked #4. I think they have 21 of 22 starters back this year, and they start the year #5. Any major program would have been a unanimous #1 choice, I would think.

It is possible that your program's number of prestige stars factor into this ranking. But again, I cannot confirm that for certain.
It's not hard to go undefeated when your season is 2 games long. If Boise State were in a real conference, they'd be ranked #1...except that they wouldn't have gone undefeated last season. Alabama went 14-0 last season and there's not a chance that Boise State wins even 12 games playing the same schedule Bama played.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

i just finished my first year of OD played several offline dynasties and from what ive noticed the more prestigious schools seem to raise faster and fall slower in the bcs rankings like in real life and the smaller undefeated or 1 loss teams rarely get a lower ranking if any. As i recall though i dont think ive been jumpfrogged by a team with 1 loss when i was undefeated with a smaller school. Maybe try scheduling a tougher schedule and dont worry too much about USC or OU theyll pick up a loss some where. The only teams i ever really worry about not being able to catch are Boise and TCU they play such easy schedules its not hard for them to go undefeated and play in the national chamionship
Old 08-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
It's not hard to go undefeated when your season is 2 games long. If Boise State were in a real conference, they'd be ranked #1...except that they wouldn't have gone undefeated last season. Alabama went 14-0 last season and there's not a chance that Boise State wins even 12 games playing the same schedule Bama played.
Boise would lose atleast 2 games on either side of the sec. lol
Old 08-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Rookie

Frank the Tank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpotts
Boise would lose atleast 2 games on either side of the sec. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
I agree with both of you. I wasn't defending the rankings, just stating what they were. But I completely agree that most top 25 voters do not account for schedule strength in their rankings nearly enough. Like Texas last year. They play 2 top 25 opponents in the regular season, a Sam Bradford-less Oklahoma (for most of the game anyway) and a Dez Bryant-less Ok St, then are fortunate to get 1 second back on the clock to beat Nebraska for the Big 12 title. Their non-conference slate was butter-soft. ULM, UCF, Wyoming, UTEP. But because of the name on the jersey, national championship game.

Unfortunately, EA's ratings people don't care about strength of schedule when they grade players, either. I see Boise has an A+ offense. Against their 2 top 25 opponents last year, oregon and TCU, they scored 19 and 17 points. An A+? Really?

But anyway, to get back to the original point, I agree with y'all that if Boise was in a top conference, they would still win most games but certainly not all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »