Home

Zone Coverage Observation/Problem

This is a discussion on Zone Coverage Observation/Problem within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 34
Zone Coverage Observation/Problem

I notice that zone coverage works best in the middle of the field...but you start having problems, the closer you get to the hashes.

I was puzzled why people where finding so much open space in zones where specific seams should have covered, or at least closed on.

I studied some replays and notice that on the wide side, the depths and angles are all fouled up..the zone defenders dont gain any width on their drops.

Basically, If I call a zone coverage with a wide field, I almost always have a blitz behind, to force a hot throw, and cover the gap with my FS..if they try to force the pass down the seams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Zone Coverage Observation/Problem

Yeah, the zone coverage really leaves a lot to be desired. I've called Cover 3 on obvious pass situations and somehow the CPU still manages to complete passes over the top of my CB and Safety that are covering one side of the field.

I think what the issue is that the defensive players are giving up too much ground when they change direction (i.e. running forward and then moving to a backpedal). They will either go into a slipping motion or just come to a complete stop for a second before getting back in the play. That gives the CPU WR more than enough time to get open.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

I think they play to much to the area of the field and don't give enough attention to the receivers coming into their area.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

The hash mark issues as they relate to the hook zones can be corrected by manually hot routing the player to a hook zone and repositioning him to the area you want him to guard (like putting him over a slot receiver).

The bigger issues with zone coverage are that deep zones do not react properly to threats that enter their area (Safeties in particular are content to sit back and let a receiver make the catch in front of them, and don't move to get in position to break the pass up until after the ball is thrown), and that flat zones do not react properly to vertical threats down the sidelnes. Basically flat zones should react to vertical threats more like purple zones do (run with the receiver for 10-15 yards before passing him off to deep coverage), rather than completely passing the receiver off to deep coverage as soon as he turns upfield at all.

On top of these issues is the fact that the 4 DL dime formation has a pretty bad array of zone coverages, and in particular doesn't have the kinds of coverages that are good in long yardage (cover 4, cover 2 buc, 6 DB versions of Buzz Duo/Cover 3 with Slot DBs in purple, and Cover 1 man to man blitzes).
Old 08-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Rookie

Nextel Husker's Arena

OVR: 4

The middle of the field is wide open when I play zone. Sometimes I don't even have a defender in the screen!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

has anyone messed with the Defensive Gameplan settings regarding zone coverage?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Rookie

Frank the Tank's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
On top of these issues is the fact that the 4 DL dime formation has a pretty bad array of zone coverages, and in particular doesn't have the kinds of coverages that are good in long yardage (cover 4, cover 2 buc, 6 DB versions of Buzz Duo/Cover 3 with Slot DBs in purple, and Cover 1 man to man blitzes).

Agree that the package of coverages available in dime with 4 lineman is crummy. There are like 20 zone blitzes that result in 3 under, 3 deep coverage, how many of those are really necessary? Yet no play where the MLB blitzes with man coverage and a safety deep. There are lots of ways to blitz DBs from this set and still play man behind if you want to, but not in this game. I often just play a 3 man line, play 3 deep zone w/ 5 underneath, forget about pass rush, set my playcalling to conservative coverage, and just give up the 11 yard catch if I can get 3rd and long. Not very imaginative, but the best I've found to prevent 3rd & long conversions.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
Rookie

Frank the Tank's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextel Husker
The middle of the field is wide open when I play zone. Sometimes I don't even have a defender in the screen!
I could be wrong, but I think your short zone defenders pretty much drop back to cover a zone in a straight line. So they will go pretty much straight behind wherever they line up. Therefor, if they don't start in the middle, they won't really cover the middle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »