Home

Is Read Option Broken?

This is a discussion on Is Read Option Broken? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #17
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Is Read Option Broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I'd say the Read Option play itself isn't broken, but the Defense's reaction to the read is completely missing.

Watch a replay of this play when it gets blown up and you'll see why. The "unblocked" DE simply does not respect the fake handoff. In real life, the DE must actually pause and recognize whether the handoff took place. In NCAA 11, the DE automatically knows that the HB did not get the handoff and goes uninterrupted to your QB. Vice versa when the handoff takes place, the DE does not pause long enough for the HB to pass.

The psychic AI has to stop in this game for it to get to the next level. Show the DE's head turn and have them react to the handoff/fake based on actual ratings such as AWR and PRC. That second or two of human reaction is what makes the play dangerous in real life.
Agreed. It's the same reason why any user can completely destroy an option CPU team. CPU defenders react perfectly to the option.

Acceleration hurts this play too in the sense that it is way too high for Defensive lineman. Not every DT can move like Suh.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 6

and I must disagree with a poster above the CPU DE reacts pretty realistically to the handoff sequence it's just the numbers game alot of times is too much as the blitzing safeties and LBs blow it up as they should in real life

the real issue is the CPU blitzes like nuts and does not seem to regard the passing game as much of a threat to move to move coverage and more CBs the way human players regard the pass and stop blitzing as much and start putting more CBs on the field
Old 08-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

I have never had a problem running the read option. If I don't have the numbers advantage I just audible and if I have the numbers usually I get 3-4 on a hand off and 5-15 on the QB Keeper. I have also busted off some HUGE read option plays with Denard Robinson.

You just got to know when to run it and not force it.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
I'd say the Read Option play itself isn't broken, but the Defense's reaction to the read is completely missing.

Watch a replay of this play when it gets blown up and you'll see why. The "unblocked" DE simply does not respect the fake handoff. In real life, the DE must actually pause and recognize whether the handoff took place. In NCAA 11, the DE automatically knows that the HB did not get the handoff and goes uninterrupted to your QB. Vice versa when the handoff takes place, the DE does not pause long enough for the HB to pass.

The psychic AI has to stop in this game for it to get to the next level. Show the DE's head turn and have them react to the handoff/fake based on actual ratings such as AWR and PRC. That second or two of human reaction is what makes the play dangerous in real life.

I agree 100% This is what it should look like...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bpXaK-cJiU

You see that DE? Not psychic! He got pwned by Pat White.

Last edited by Romeclone; 08-16-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #21
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

Agreed. I've seen oregon games this real where Masoli made the DE look like a fool. In this game, the DE automatically picks either the QB or RB, not respecting the READ at all
NCAAB:West Virginia
MLB: Texas Rangers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 6

that video with Pat White looks real good except if Mississippi State blitz both sides the ball would have to handed off the HB and the HB would probably get only minmal yardage like 2-4 yards if the LB or safeties blitzing on that side didn't break into the backfield for even more disruption

that's what happens in the video game especially on Heisman vs the CPU
the CPU blitzes so often and uses base formations with good tacklers and everyone so close to the LOS so often that the read option suffers severely

I agree with Maizegrenade
you must use it sparingly vs anyone including the CPU that stays in base formations alot and doesn't spread with your spread offense and blitzes especially both sides at the same time often
people respect the run game including the CPU so much read option appears broke because of the attention spent to stop it
Old 08-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agency4Ever
And I refuse to play on Varsity. So that may be an option if you dont want competion while you play.
With the right slider adjustments Varsity can be just as competitive as AA or Heisman. Maybe on default Varsity that would be true, but not with the right sliders. I think alot of people would be pleasantly surprised at the realistic challenge it can provide with the right sliders.

As for the original topic, I honestly run the read option fine. Sometimes I get good gains, other times I pick up some huge gains and also get stopped for no gain or short loss other times.

For the issue of the computer blitzing all the time, it helps if you go into the coach settings and lower the teams defensive aggressive slider. Doesn't completely stop them from sending all out blitzes at times, but it does reduce it which helps the read option since blitzes seem to blow it up.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Old 08-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 7

yes, for the CPU at least

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »