Home

Pistol Offense?...I dont get it.

This is a discussion on Pistol Offense?...I dont get it. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #17
MVP

TajDeni's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Pistol Offense?...I dont get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
You have hit the nail on the head for a real life reason to the "Pistol". I'm a high school coach and the school I'm at runs a form of the Pistol that I created. Its more of a system that is a combo of 3 different systems. If the Pistol, Spread Option, & Spread passing had a 3 way and produced a child then you have my system.
I added the Pistol for the reason you stated. My QB can read the D better and is away from the O-line enough to prevent sacks. My HB gets a better look as the holes open up and can hit them. The runs I use are all reads but the game does not do a good job on the running plays. You have to have a mobile QB to make it work. The passing is a lot of short quick passes since your QB is at a 3 step drop when we gets the snap. It makes slants and bubbles a huge threat. The system does not work without a good running & accurate QB.
As for the game it does not make good use but it gives you a base of what its about. I have not ran it as much since I try and do things in the game I would not do in real life.
interesting....in college i played a team called Delta State they ran a spread/flexbone attact...they used 2 QBs....very hard to play against because the rules 4 stopping each style is different than the other and once you get into the proper mindstate they'd switch up to the other style....anyways it didnt invlove the pistol but if you've added the pistol to this kinda of concept id be very interested in seeing some vids as well

Hidden Within the Depths of Silence and Solitude, Awaits the Realest Dude...
-- TajDeni
Old 08-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

The pistol offense is basically a one back offense with the qb slightly behind the line. The main benefit I see when running it over the one back is that when you run the option the qb isnt blocked by defensive lineman when they penetrate the OL. You also dont have to drop back as far when passing. Otherwise its just like the single back offense. Run counters and zone plays. The counters absolutely destroy the 3-4 defense. Its harder to run agains the 4-3 though.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:22 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

Last year there was a bad glitch in the pistol ace formation. When you flipped your option the running back would go the wrong way. Every time. At first i thought it was a crowd effect but happened at home also. EA never fixed it. Haven't tried it this year.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #20
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

I dont think the problem with pistol runs is that the handoff is slow, although that is the case with zone reads, but I think for whatever reason the o-line just blocks poorly in pistol plays. Well, technically 4 of 5 lineman do a great job but every time there's always 1 guy who gets destroyed which causes the TFL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »