Home

Does Size Matter

This is a discussion on Does Size Matter within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #33
MVP

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Does Size Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart#28
Kind of OT....but I'm curious to any help with recruiting offensive lineman...I have a pretty good idea what to look for with all other positions, but this is the one spot I have no idea about...What do you guys looks for in a OL when recruiting?
In past games I looked for Run Block, Speed and Strength. I think this year Acceleration is even more important than in the past. I'm a run first kind of guy and I like having pulling guards or just linemen that can reach the second level on running plays. That's where the speed and acceleration come in.

I haven't gotten past a full recruiting season yet so I can't really speak for this game. I can just say that with the recent NCAA games I prefer to recruit from outside in when recruiting offensive linemen. I don't know for sure about this year's game but historically the tackles transfer well when you drop them down to guard or center. Similarly, guards go up in overall and don't lose awareness when you move them to Center but may drop a point or two if moved out to tackle. Centers move down a point or two when moved to any other position. So for that reason I try to recruit tackles first then guards and only take a center if I can't find a good tackle or guard that is interested in my school. Can anyone say whether my approach still hold true in this year's game?

The theory of bigger linemen helping your running game because your RB can move around him better is interesting. I think I tend to agree because I notice I like running behind a big OL guy then when the defender gets near I shift to one side of the big ugly. The defender then has a good way to go to get around the big ugly. Even if the oline layer doesn't even block the defender it helps me to get separation. Good observation.

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes

Last edited by deadlyCane; 09-21-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #34
Pro

Special27K's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Does Size Matter

I'll only recruit players that fit the physical stature of the position I intend to play them at. I hate the number of 200 pound DE's and the 185 pound LB's. More and more I notice some crazy things like a 6'7" 203 pound DE. It wouldn't be so bad if players gained weight and things like that. Players should fit more of a standard body type based on position.

-Weight should factor in strength maximums, momentum, and locomotion
-We should be able to set "training goals" like telling your guards to improve on Blocking/Positional (RBK & PBK), Positional Technique (Run blocking strength & footwork) Athleticism (Acceleration, Strength, Speed), and Conditioning (Stamina, Injury, Awareness maybe)
-Weight gain/loss goals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »