Home

Impact WR Involved in the PASSING GAME

This is a discussion on Impact WR Involved in the PASSING GAME within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
Impact WR Involved in the PASSING GAME

Have you ever played a guy that just shut down your impact wr? Well here's how you can get him involved.

1.) Use him as a 3rd WR or a slot wr. Don't always use him as 1/2 wr.
2.) Make him line up as a HB, and maybe throw a quick flat out of the backfield.
3.) make him run crossing routes with other wr.

The most common answer is to line him up as a #3 string WR, but if you are in a dynasty this may cause your impact wr to transfer out of the school. So notice how the D is playing your impact WR from the snap, and go from there. Throw in some bubble screens here and there to pull off some big gains.

For more tips register at http://ncaahitsquad.com/forum.php
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Impact WR Involved in the PASSING GAME

In essentially every formation with 3 WRs you can use the right stick to change the formation set up to "Strong Slot" which lines your slot WR in the #1 spot and your #1 WR in the slot without adjusting the depth chart.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
In essentially every formation with 3 WRs you can use the right stick to change the formation set up to "Strong Slot" which lines your slot WR in the #1 spot and your #1 WR in the slot without adjusting the depth chart.
word up...There's basically plenty of different formations to get them involved. Of course, you can also find the right sliders and learn to read progressions. But, some college qb's can't even do that, so best sticking to "strong slot" and the other formation shifts.
I also prefer to use those automated motion plays (pro formations) that you can run "set up plays" off of.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:47 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

Some offenses are different, but in most offenses, when a quarterback goes through his progression, his first read is his primary wide receiver.

When announcers talk about a quarterback going through his progression... it's the order he is supposed to read the receivers in.

One play the progression might look something like this:
Split End, Flanker, Tight End, Slot, H-Back.

The next play, the progression may look like this:
Flanker, Slot, Split End, H-Back, Tight End.

Progression simply refers to the order the quarterback checks to see whether or not the receiver is open. Generally speaking the last player in the progression is referred to as the "check-down." This is the player the quarterback knows to quickly look at as soon as he feels pressure from the defensive line (and blitzers) because he is a short pass and almost always open. The quarterback knows to stop the progression and check to this guy the instant pressure comes.

As far as the rest of the progression goes, it's based primarily on distance down the field. The routes that go farther are the first read. For example, there is a play called "Deep Post" which has the split end and flanker running fly routes, while the slot runs a deep post route. Meanwhile, the tight end runs a shallow cross and the running back runs a swing pattern. This play is available in multiple single back and shotgun formations.

Anyway, despite the play being called "Deep Post" and the slot receiver being the guy who runs the deep post route, he is not the first read in the progression. He is the third read.

The first two reads are the split end and flanker. Check the coverage. If it's man with cover 1 (or cover 0) over the top and either the split end or flanker gets past his man, he is your first option to throw to. Even with cover 2 or cover 3, you can usually complete the pass to the outside receivers if he burns the corner quick enough.

The third read is to the slot receiver. Against essentially every defense, he will be open over the middle as he's making the cut across the field on his post route.

The tight end and running back are both check down receivers in the event that either the defense has dropped too many back into coverage (and you can't find the WRs open) or the defense has blitzed effectively and you're going to be sacked but the WRs aren't open.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Ya, this game seems to make it harder to go to your outside receivers.

on a side note, The D should be able to shadow the offenses best receiver with their best CB. A feature that has been in Madden in the past!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

lmao..wow this sounds cheesey make ur best reciever slot?..i hate when people do this because its not a option in the game that can make ur best corner follow him around..now dont get me wrong if its a certain formation u put him at slot and you dont use it every down or your best reciever is about 3-6 points better the your other three then its not cheesey..but ive played guys that put 60's and 70's at the top of there depth chart while two 90's make the 3rd and 4th then they run spread all day..i know its a video game but do we have to play video football??..but what i do is jus pick plays that have different routes and believe me your guy will get at least 5 catches if hes a good reciever most ppl like speed recievers who are weak and are 90 rated receivers who are just over rated sot recievers so if u have a tota package reciever(a lil spd, str ,ctch ,release,awr) ur good..but a desan jackson with no route running..ummm..no!..

Last edited by jblack21; 10-14-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
The Print Guy

65South's Arena

OVR: 23

WR screens. When I'm having a tough time getting my #1 WR involved in the game I'll usually try and run one or two of these to back the defense off. I love the WR screen from Ace Big Twins, I believe. Gets a WR blocking down along with my tackle and guard pulling on kick out blocks. I love seeing that corner getting picked up by the WR then just follow the lineman as they (hopefully) pancake the safety or anyone else in their way. Works like a charm for me versus the press coverage.

PSN: Sixty5South
Old 10-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Rookie

sleepyeagle's Arena

OVR: 3

I have a pretty good #1 receiver, so I'm usually able to get him involved with just a little patience. Wait until the defense is playing off coverage or put him in motion to help beat press coverage.

If I'm playing someone who doubles my outside receivers a lot, then maybe I'll use the packages to put him in the slot in the Gun Split formation. But even then, I only use that formation if I end up needing a 3rd and really long conversion (more than 10 yards).

Since I run the ball a ton, most of my receivers are strength oriented instead of speed oriented, and they have good hands. This allows me to keep a good short passing game going, especially with bubble screens sprinkled in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »