Home

Heisman difficulty observations

This is a discussion on Heisman difficulty observations within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
Rookie

wonderl33t's Arena

OVR: 2
Heisman difficulty observations

Finally got around to spending some time on this game since the latest tuning patch. 6 games deep in a UConn dynasty. Observations:

-Man to man coverage is useless. Defenders fail to keep up with WRs/TEs, and even if they do, they will run away from the WR right before the ball gets to them so it's an easy catch every time. If you call a man coverage defensive play, you are asking to give up a 30 yard gain.

-CPU doesn't cheat much on run blocking. Once in a while there is a whiff, but for the most part, run blocking is pretty realistic. Very strong point of this game.

-CPU gets past pass blockers with ease, always. Play action is basically insta-sack. PA is only not insta-sack if you have been running successfully. Even then, you had better have made your read by the time you come out of the play fake and get the ball out ASAP.

-CPU defense almost always cheats on screen plays, jumping in front of the HB almost every time. But this is countered because the WRs still run routes, so if you get the pass to the WR off quickly you can take advantage of the cheating CPU.

-Human team WRs drop 90% of passes A) on 3rd or 4th down and B) if they are wide open, nobody within 15 yards of them. I try to not throw it to WRs who are too wide open, but it's too hard to fight the instinct.

-CPU offensive play calling doesn't cheat too much (i.e. calling the perfect play to counter the defensive play you called). And I have been able to confuse the offense a bit by calling a blitz, then audibling to a non-blitz zone coverage right before the CPU snaps it.

-The punt block return formation some guy mentioned on here is money for punt returns. Easy 10 yard return every time, usually more.

-Toss plays seem way too effective, but really it is just countering the defense which is too bunched up in the middle. Defense's fault.

-I love how screen plays develop quickly and you have to make the read quickly (whether a defender is going to jump your screen pass).

-Passes over the middle are much easier/more realistic with this tuning patch. They are an extremely viable weapon now.

-Blatant CPU cheating is still in the game (it wouldn't be an EA sports title if this weren't the case), but it seems to be limited to a few times per game, if any, so I find it to be acceptable.

Overall, this is very fun! Easily the best NCAA experience since 2007 for regular Xbox/PS2. Heisman difficulty is the only way to play this game. My first few games on AA, I was beating up on B+ teams with the likes of Fresno State and ECU. On Heisman, if your opponent is much more talented than yours, it's quite a challenge, and there is a very good chance you will lose. The only horribly awful thing wrong with the game is broken man to man coverage. You simply can't call it, ever, when there is the sliver of possibility that your opponent will be passing. The WR drops in clutch situations are very frustrating, too (maybe it's because I'm UConn?). Otherwise this is a pretty good game that I am enjoying very much!

edit - A few more observations

-I get 2-3 drive-killing holding penalties per game. CPU gets one maybe every 2 or 3 games
-The Super Sim feature is great because I hate quitting & restarting games, so in those games where the CPU is j*wing you every way possible, you can just sim to the end and get the loss over with.
-CPU d-line bats down 3-4 passes per game. My D line bats down 3-4 per season

Last edited by wonderl33t; 10-23-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add more observations
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Rookie

demon19000's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Heisman difficulty observations

Yeah I agree on most. I think the WR drops could be because it's UConn. I'm in a dynasty with Notre Dame and I usually don't have a huge problem with drops.

The play action has always been a problem for me. I don't usually use screen plays too much, so i wouldn't know about those.

As far as punts, I use middle return, but usually bring a guy back midway between the returner and the line of scrimmage (like the return formations from older football games).

Lastly, I only have a big problem with man coverage if:
1. I'm getting no pressure on the QB. If I am in man coverage, I usually blitz.
2. I let the CPU control my DB.
3. I'm calling it constantly. But that's with a lot of schemes. Zone, blitz, or man, if something's not working I gotta switch it up.

Back when I was playing my Buffalo dynasty, I scheduled a top 15 team in year 2. Times like this, nothing is gonna work on defense unless you're the #1 player at this game. I learned that the hard way haha.

Overall: atmosphere, play style, and outcome, for me at least, can really depend on the team you're playing and facing, and their/your style of defense and offense. Those are my thoughts, take it or leave it, I'm no expert reviewer/observer.
!
--------------------------------------
PSN: demon19000
Old 10-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Man-to-man is completely hopeless on Heisman, and the only way I can stay in the game is by bringing various blitz packages every play. Otherwise I can't get any pressure and the complete every pass.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:08 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 2

Heres one for the OP, you'll love this:

I'm shutting down Ohio State in my offline dynasty with a custom team as part of the Big Ten, so this is a big game for me. I'm up by 10 pts with 1:44 left in the fourth on Heisman. Ohio State has the ball on my 46 yard line but its 4th and 26. Naturally, they go for it because they're down and I've sacked the sh!t outta them for 16yds loss. I pressure again with good coverage and they complete a medium mid field pass, but get tackled 12 yards short of the first down marker. I'm very happy about this, proud of myself you could say. Until...

Kirk gets on the mic and starts screaming about the amazing conversion on 4th down as I watch OSU line up on the 20 with a new set of downs!!! WTF!!! I can't believe my eyes, so I pause and review the insta replay. Confirmed. CPU fell 12 YARDS SHORT of the first, but decided that it was time to score, so **** you, time for a first down wether it's earned or not. Totally unbelievable.

I just can't believe it.

Can you guess what happened next? Yep, you've got it! They score a TD, kick a successful onside kick and drive down within field goal range and kick a field goal as time expires sending the game into overtime.

Consider it gospel. If the CPU decides (however it does) that a game will go on it will. Just set the controller down and save yourself some stress. I really can't believe that the EA developers took inspiration from those Buffalo Wild Wings commercials, but it seems they have. Amazing.

**** YOU EA.

Last edited by WTF; 10-24-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Bypassing Language Filter
Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #5

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Turn your WR Catching Game plan to "conservative." This eliminates the majority of the drops.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

That was me that mentioned the punt return thing. The punt block return/man or zone all work well.

On a side note, I got cocky a few games ago and called a full punt block the other day near mid field. It was near the end of the half and I was hoping to force a short kick out of bounds as sometimes happens when you send the house, instead, CPU got agressive and called a fake punt, easy first down on 4th and 4. I have never been so happy to be burned. Perfect time for the CPU to call it, and really I should have been ready for it.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderl33t
Overall, this is very fun! Easily the best NCAA experience since 2007 for regular Xbox/PS2. Heisman difficulty is the only way to play this game. My first few games on AA, I was beating up on B+ teams with the likes of Fresno State and ECU. On Heisman, if your opponent is much more talented than yours, it's quite a challenge, and there is a very good chance you will lose. The only horribly awful thing wrong with the game is broken man to man coverage. You simply can't call it, ever, when there is the sliver of possibility that your opponent will be passing. The WR drops in clutch situations are very frustrating, too (maybe it's because I'm UConn?). Otherwise this is a pretty good game that I am enjoying very much!

Not a fan of sliders, huh?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 28

Man coverage on Heisman is good but it depends on the ratings of your DB's. Awareness, Man Coverage and Press Ratings are huge.

I find Heisman default a challenge. I tuned the following down one notch for the AI: Pass block (45), rush ability (45 - at 50 there are way too many cheap broken tackles by the AI), pass accuracy (45), pass rush (45).

I turned the following up to 55 for Human: Pass block, RB ability, pass rush, pass coverage

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »