Home

Greatest Comeback Ever?

This is a discussion on Greatest Comeback Ever? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Greatest Comeback Ever?

I just wrote this long post with incredibly specific details about the greatest comeback and greatest game I ever played on NCAA. Unfortunately, Operation Sports ate it (thanks OS). But, suffice it to say, the game was amazing. I was playing at FSU at home against BYU in my offline dynasty and I was down 28-0 in the second quarter and 35-10 at half but came back to win 48-45 in Double Overtime.

Highlights:

* 21 point swing in my favor in two minutes in the 3rd QTR.

* 315 yards passing by BYU QB in first half, held to 70 yards passing in second half

* BYU scored on a gutsy running playing on 4th and 1 from the 35 with one timeout and :12 seconds left in regulation. A 35 rush to tie the game at 42 with 2 ticks left.

*I threw a pass to my receiver on the first play from scrimmage in OT only to have my receiver fumble when he dove into the endzone. I thought I was done!

*On the CPU's possession, I held him to three and out and he missed a chip shot field goal from the 7 yard line!

*In double OT, after holding the CPU to a successful field goal, I win on a 17 yard fantastic run by my HB Thomas...48-45.

Needless to say, ESPN gave the game a score of 2500 and it is my #1 game. I have not had a comeback that great since NCAA 2005 (I have been playing since 04, I had several 28 point comebacks in 04, 05).

What is your greatest comeback/greatest game in this year's edition?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Pro

crowhop's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Greatest Comeback Ever?

Playing online vs a bit a cheeser. I was Arkansas, him Florida...in the Swamp. He's up 35-7 in the 3rd.

The key came when he stopped me on 3rd down in the 3rd quarter...I decided to punt. I made him fumble the return to begin the 4th. I thought about going for it, but it was 4th and 14 and I play it as straight as I can, regardless. He fumbles the return, I recover and score on the next play. 4:45 left in the game. 35-14.

I kickoff...he's expecting onsides...but I kick it normally. His ball, I stop him, and he goes for it on 4th from his 40. I score on the 2nd play. 35-21.

I kickoff...I stop him and use my timeouts. He punts. I score, but not much time left. 35-28.

I stop him...if he would have tried to run the ball and grind clock from the get go, he wins going away, but as fate would have it...

He punts. I have the ball on my 12 with :06 left. I run the Hail Mary (2 wr on each side)...he's in 3-deep man, it looks like...I motion DJ Williams to the left side, so there are trips...
Snap the ball and throw a bomb to Williams...it worked perfect because the two WR were fast, so they took the two Safeties...Williams, a TE, is slower, so he trailed behind and caught it in the open. He took control of the two guys and I dodged them both to score. The clock was at 0:00 just as I caught it...so I had to score. And my other two WRs were there to block, which helped.

Then, I go for two...5 WR...Trips Left...outside and inside guys slant...middle guy flare...Flare was Wide Open...I win 36-35.

Greatness score of 2235.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Rookie

IHATESOUP's Arena

OVR: 1

iwas playing at Boise State in my season opener with Miami. beginning of game goes well. early 2nd quarter i am up 14 nothing. then they sack my quarter back, he fumbles and they return for touchdown. Their defense starts getting stops. they get two field goals. then my horrid QB throws a way off target pass, pick six. It was the end of the half and the are up 17-14.
The 3rd qtr is just as bad. another fumble by my QB and another return for touchdown. They score two more touchdowns and on one convert a 2-pt conversion, they scored 22 points in the 3rd qtr ALONE and 35 UNANSWERED.
At this point i have had enough, i pull my senior QB and put in my sophmore. Greatest decision ever. i come out in the 4th qtr and less than a min in i hit my WR on a post, break two tackles and he's gone 85 yards. My defense starts stepping up and i hold them. next drive i hit the SAME WR and another post route and this time he's gone for 74 yards. it is now 35-28. with around 3 minutes left. i stop them and get the ball with about 1:50 on the clock. im driving down the field. but around mid field i stall, have to go for it on 4th and 7. I DONT CONVERT. at this point i am about to cry. there is 1:00 left and i only had two timeouts.
Not giving up hope, i change all defensives gamplan items to aggressive and stop them on 1st down and use timeout. on second down, ITS A FUMBLE!! I recover, back in business at around the 50. my WR comes up huge for me and i get it down to the one, use timeout. next play i run it in. it is now TIED 35-35 with less than 20 seconds. i cant even believe it.
i dominated overtime. they get ball first and i sack them twice to put them at around the 50 and they have to go for on 4th. i stop it. i get ball and run it once, 6 yard gain. on the 2nd play my RB breaks and scores a touchdown!!! greatest comeback ever
Old 11-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12

OK, to get you up to speed, NCAA 09, PS3, Virginia Tech vs. Ohio State, National Championship Game, Heisman difficulty, 7 min quarters, I lost 1 game early in the season, but I won the BCS bid after blowing out Florida state in the ACC championship game. So I barely snuck into the number 2 spot to get in the Nat'l title game.

Fast forward to 4th quarter, I am getting blasted, 24-7, 7 min left in the game, I have hardly had any offensive plays to get me anywhere (scored of INT return). Ok, so I have the ball on my side of the field, I drop back with Tyrod, I run around the pocket, as I am more of a scrambler than a pocket passer, I like making guys get open with my legs. I roll out to the right as linebacker closes in on me, my WR dumps in behind the linebacker on a slant, catches the ball, Tyrod takes the hit, but I am off to the races with the WR 60 some yards for the TD, 24-14 with around 5 minutes left, BUT...Tyrod goes out for the game, Oh gosh! In comes Sean Glennon, pocket passer, and like i said, I am not a good pocket passer, so this has me worried. So they get the ball, drive down to around my 35 yard line, I hault them. They line up for a field goal with a little over 3 minutes left, and WIDE RIGHT!

24-14, 3 minutes left, my ball. Sean glennon has a nice start, as I do this money place out of ace where you have 2 te's on the right, one a yard off the ball, receiver to the left of field, and the underneath TE goes on a deep out pattern, other TE has a blocking delayed drag towards sideline...one or the other is almost always open. So I hit my TE on the drag after they bring the blitz, he catches it, breaks 2 tackles and he is off for a TD with around 2:30 to go, 24-21. I am feeling good at this point. So on the ensuing kicking off, the unthinkable happens...they field the ball and he goes untouched over 100 yards for a KR TD, 31-21...and my sails deflated after this.

Close to 2 minutes left, down by 10 points, almost impossible to come back from. So regardless, I go after it anyways, I drive down the field on a long pass to my RB and he gets down to the 30ish of Oh. state and I call a time out with about 1:30 left. I pull out shotgun 4 wr spread, call double smash routes to both sides of the field. Danny Coale is sent down left side of the field, running the route perfectly, safety over top, corner bites on underneath, I throw the pass, but Glennon is terrible inaccurate, safety jumps the pass and Interception around the 5 yard line, NOOOOOOOOO i scream, thats the game...its done for. About that time, the defender catches the ball, he spins, my receiver hits him, pushes him back into the endzone from the field of play, and another receiver comes up and takes his legs out in the endzone, and what do you know, a freaking safety!!!!!!!!!!! 31-23, down 8 points, about a minute left 2 time outs, and that was the luckiest thing I ever seen before.

At this point I am worried cause the game is on the line, AGAIN, but I suck it up and I field the ball and get to about the 25, not a good spot like I had hoped. 50ish seconds left...I hit danny coale on a play action route , he runs it down the left sideline and he is off to the races, all the sudden bam the safety cuts me off and i fumble out of bounds around their 35 yard line. I pass the ball 3 times in a row, all resulting in incompletions, at this point I am fuming, 4-10, 35 yard line, 25 or so seconds left, 2 time outs...game on the line. So I call a flag route to Boykin to the right side of the field, he catches the ball, and he runs down to the 14yard line and tackled, time out quickly, with 17 seconds left. I then try a play, and I get sacked, but I only lose a yard, so I call a time out with 10 seconds left from the 15 yard line. I am sweatin bullets, i get tackled in play its game over. So I pull out what I know best, my money TE playaction pass...I drop back, DT comes free, I have to dump it off, I hit my TE underneath on the delay drag, he runs to the 2 goes to dive in the pylon and BAM, shoved out of bounds, with no time left, game over. HOLD ON, the booth reviews the spot of the ball, come to find out after slow mo, he snuck his left foot inside the pylon with the ball in possession, and they overturned it, TOUCHDOWN!!!!! 31-29 with no time left on the clock, this is it. One last chance to seal one of the best comebacks ever.

So I again, being me and sticking with what works, I pull out that play action te pass. This time they approach the line with linebackers pushed over my te's to the right, leaving left side one one coverage on my WR...so I hot routed to a slant behind the lb's. Well i hike the ball, they did a hell of a job hiding their coverage, as it looked like man, but dropped back into cover 2...oh god. Cover 2 will not let this play work. So i roll to the right, both my te's running towards right sideline about 5 yards apart, both covered tightly. the te that released first went to sideline, but then cuts back to the center of the field and chips the linebacker cover my drag TE, and gives him a slight break, I see it, dump the pass off and the conversion is GOOD 31-31 all tied up and time for overtime!!!!!! I was jumpin up and down and screaming, could not believe I mounted this big of a comeback.

So OT starts, they get the ball first, 31-31, and what do ya know, touchdown on the first play from the 25 yard line, 38-31. so I get the ball, after 2 tries, I finally pull out an option that goes the distance and I score, 38-38. So then I get the ball, they hold me, and I kick a fieldgoal, 41-38. They get the ball, foster's defense swells up, and stop them, they gotta kick, so its 41-41.

Here is where things go crazy. They get the ball, knowing extra points can no longer be kicked as its the 3rd round, and my d swells again, and I hold them to a field goal, 44-41. I get the ball, 3 incompletions later I am facing 4th down and 10, nervous as hell, game on the line. I pause it to re-think my strategy and I realize, if I don't get a touchdown here, I am going to keep them in this game with as much hurtin as they have been puttin on me and they gonna end up scoring and getting the 2 point conversion to win the game, 4th OT was out of the question. So, I did the unthinkinable...no...the unimaginable. Now, normally, I am a big time conservative play caller, I won't do anything too riskey to save me making big mistakes. But i went against my normal judgement this time, and I bring up that ace formation with two te's to the right, wr to the left, but instead of calling the normal play action pass to the right, I call a draw play...yes folks, draw play on 4th and 10 with game on the line. I hike the ball, glennon sits back, their linebackers drop into coverage expecting the pass, and i hand it off to darren evans up the gut. I break through the line, 2 linebackers converge on me and I juke to the right, sending them into the line grasping air, and at this point, i was approaching the first down marker. I then juked left, and the free safety COMPLETELY wiffed, I make it across first down marker, still holding my breath, but the strong safety approaches fast and hard from the side, he hits me in the back, but it does one of those animations where they grab on to your pads, but fall off and hit the ground, he sends me flying forward, and I cross the line, TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!! GAME OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yep, I scored a TD on 4th and 10 from the 25 yard line in 3rd OT against oh. state, and it was the most amazing feat I have ever had. What ensued, still sticks with me to this day, as it cued some commentary I have never heard before. The announcers were hollering and screaming and said ITS OVER ITS OVER THEY HAVE DONE IT!!!! THIS WILL GO DOWN AS ONE OF THE GUTSIEST PLAYS OFF ALL TIME RUNNING THE BALL ON 4TH DOWN TO WIN THE BALL GAME!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT COACH!!?!?! and they keep going on and on analyizng what had just happened, and I was freakin out cause I never seen a finish like that in any video game ever. I won the game 47-41 as the underdogs against an undefeated buckeyes team, that was picked to win. I was completely decimated at the beginning and Glennon stepped in for an injured tyrod and brought us back to win. Needless to say, next season, Glennon earned the starting position. Still to this day, I have never forgot anything that happened during that game, it plays over in my head.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Pro

Special27K's Arena

OVR: 9

2011 Week 2
Toledo (Ovr C Off B- Def C-) VS Syracuse (Ovr B- Off B- Def B-)

Greatest Combeback/Biggest Choke

Qtr 1
5:37 TOL - A. Dantin 17yd Rushing TD (QB keeper option) --- 7-0 Toledo
3:49 SYR - A. Weaver 37yd Passing TD from R. Nassib --- 7-7

Qtr 2
6:06 SYR - T. Gulley 1yd Rushing TD --- 14-7 Syracuse
3:33 TOL - R. Casano 33yd FG --- 14-10 Syracuse
1:29 SYR - A. Weaver 38yd Passing TD from R. Nassib --- 21-10 Syracuse
0:00 TOL - R. Casano 38yd FG --- 21-13 Syracuse

During the 3rd my defense played true to that C- rating, the line was pushed 2 to 3 yards back on run plays, corners get beat deep. All down hill I thought.

Qtr 3
7:22 SYR - A. Lemon 26yd Passing TD from R. Nassib --- 28-13 Syracuse
3:42 SYR - R. Lichtenstein 49yd FG --- 31-13 Syracuse
2:48 SYR - A. Bailey 48yd Rushing TD --- 38-13 Syracuse

Worked my butt off from here out and got some timely penalties against the Orange along with some overthrows and crucial outside run contains. Offensively started really slinging it around guys finally getting open on crossing patterns and hit safe throws on 1st down (short curls, rub route combos).

2:02 TOL - (2pt good) S. Gaymon 41yd Passing TD from A. Dantin --- 38-21 Syracuse
1:02 TOL - K. Stafford 15yd Passing TD from A. Dantin (Off quick INT) --- 38-28 Syracuse

Qtr 4

My offense slowed 'Cuse started jumping routes, laying out for deflections. Defense held with luck and aid from the flags. Next TD came after a big play followed by another. One on one, WR beat the press with a step, safeties playing down and biting on 10yd curl. Jump ball corner of the endzone, toe tap.

6:30 TOL - J. Green 22yd Passing TD from A. Dantin --- 38-35 Syracuse
3:07 TOL - A. Thomas 3yd Rushing TD --- 42-38 Toledo

Finally my defensive line was getting pushed back and gashed for nearly 10 yards a play and corners just getting flat out beat, clock slowly ticking away.

1:13 SYR - A. Bailey 6yd Rushing TD --- 45-42 Syracuse

Kick return for nearly 50 yards called back to the 13 on a bad block in the back. Only one TO left from burning a couple during scoring drives needed to have a shot at this. No huddling, dinking and diving on slants quick verticals. Roughly 0:11 on the clock with my TO in hand from the 37yd line, 5 wide on the right hash (left to right) 10yd curl, middle slant, drag, 10yd out, fly. Defense is spread thin, getting pressured from the left taking away the curl (causeing a rollout also), corner undercut the slant, drag going nowhere, out route draws the deep safety in, man to man on the fly route (J. Green winner of earlier jump ball). I go for the win heaving it to the corner of the endzone, ball could not be placed better and the corner highpoints it picking it off. 'Cuse kneels to win.

45-42

Never been more excruciatingly disappointed about a game in my life. Missed a 25 point comeback by inches possibly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #6

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I just had one of my best comebacks...Down 34-17 against San Diego State at home as Tulane, I scored 21 unanswered fourth quarter points to win it.

The first TD was a 66-yard improv hook-and-ladder play where I threw a bomb to a RB who was covered one on one with no one else around. As he was about to get tackled by the only defender in the area, I lateraled it to a TE and he took it the distance.

I scored the game-winning TD when the same RB scored on a 7-yard run with like 0:12 left.

I didn't get a Greatest Game Score on that one surprisingly.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 11-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 36

re: Toledo/Cuse

If I were you, I'd have lasered the ball intermediate-to-deep, call TO and play in OT.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
Pro

Special27K's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
re: Toledo/Cuse

If I were you, I'd have lasered the ball intermediate-to-deep, call TO and play in OT.
Trust me, I went through so many safer scenarios. Got caught in the moment, he won his other jump ball with ease and that's all I saw in my head.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »