Home

"Play Recognition" how it effects the the cpu QB scramble logic

This is a discussion on "Play Recognition" how it effects the the cpu QB scramble logic within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Icon1 "Play Recognition" how it effects the the cpu QB scramble logic

Quote:
Option Logic Defender

After getting our blocking system in place the next step had to be putting what we call "Option Defense Logic" in place for the defender we're going to intentionally leave unblocked. What this logic entails is the defender who's designated the "read key" will use option defense logic that will have him either crash inside and chase the halfback or stay at home and spy/watch for the quarterback. The primary factor which determines whether or not the option logic defender will crash or stay at home is based on his Play Recognition rating. Defenders with a higher play recognition rating will more often than not stay at home and spy the quarterback. On the other hand defenders with a lower rating will look to crash and chase the halfback. In either case there will be enough of a changeup from a crash to stay at home that you as the user will have to make sure you're making your reads no matter what the option logic defender's play recognition rating is.

By Anthony White NCAA Designer

So essentially what is preventing the cpu QB AI from scrambling more is the high play recognition attribute the defensive line, line backers and safeties have in this game.

If you ever browsed the roster, 90% of them have that attribute at 85 or higher. What this does is have the whole defense in QB SPY all game long. Which is why if you ever noticed the cpu defense RARELY ever bites on pump fakes, Play action pass plays or counter plays.

This also explains why the cpu QB AI don't scramble or execute the spread offense or Option offense effectively. The way this game is programmed this year is that if the defender in front of the QB has a high play recognition attribute, the QB will not run.

And on read action plays they will simply toss it to the RB majority of the time instead of keeping it for themselves.

To test this theory I lowered the play recognition attribute down to 50 for the whole Dline, line backers and both safeties. By doing this counter plays, Play action plays actually worked, pump fakes actually froze the safeties and line backers.

More importantly scramblers played like scramblers. The spread and option offenses were truely a threat by the CPU.

CPU controlled QB Cam Newton on a 36 yard TD run from the SPREAD.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Rookie

ranger6354's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: "Play Recognition" how it effects the the cpu QB scramble logic

Very nice job.

PSN - Soonerfan94
Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 11

what a beautiful observation, and thank u for sharing this info, wheres adam? back on topic, i justfinished labbing this, and it make one heck of a difference on both sides of the ball, still cant fix that overly effective cpu "lean" running
NCAAF- MIAMI LSU
"IM SO UPTOWN AND IF U AIN'T MOTHA#$@ DONT GO UPTOWN, YEAH"

Quote:
How often can the bug be reproduced? That's a question for the developers...I'm not testing this for them...
Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Too bad we can't edit the recruiting classes ratings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 12-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Yeah I don't know what it is with that lean animation they be doing for no reason sometimes. Even with strip ball, QB contain, big hits, option attack on conservative on defense, Newton and the RB's were still doing that half the time they ran the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
MVP

Pacman83's Arena

OVR: 16

Impressive, nice observation....Default DL play recognition is always too high, to me anyway. Nice solution though.

BTW, like ur GoTY list MadSkillz, playing too my myself...great games

GT: IIx PaCmAN xII
Rams/Mizzou/Cards

Old 12-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5

Very cool find! Any suggestions on ratings value adjustments? It's certainly tolerable to adjust the ratings for our own team + all opponents in dynasty. That' shouldn't be too painstaking
Old 12-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

What I find frustrating about the info in this thread and others that experiment with user awareness (nice job btw), is that it clearly shows all the pieces are already in place for the game to play even better, they just needed to fine tune the game a little bit more. Simply lowering awareness in the DL/LBs could have other unwanted effects on gameplay though, so a better solution would have been if the CPU was checking to see if he has open field in front of him (I believe it did in lastgen, when QBs ran like crazy). I like that you found a psuedo-workaround, but there's no way I'm going to spend half my time editing player ratings year in and year out. That's too much like work

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »