Home

frustrated Madden player here: a couple questions please

This is a discussion on frustrated Madden player here: a couple questions please within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
frustrated Madden player here: a couple questions please

hi, i've been playing Madden for years and have had enough.

this year i've discovered the CPU will constantly put out the wrong D package out. for example, i'd be running a 4-WR set on third and long, and instead of a dime package, the CPU fields 3 linebackers and has them cover wide receivers.

i've tried gameplanning and nothing can fix it (gameplanning is messed up).

so, in NCAA, does the CPU...
a) field the proper defensive packages according to the human players offensive package?
b) does the CPU call realistic plays (as opposed to blitzing everyone and just leaving 3 guys in coverage)?

in general, if i want realistic play calling and CPU play, does NCAA deliver or am i just in for more disapointment?

i've loved aspects of Madden but the unrealistic CPU and glitches make the game unplayable for me. i've never played NCAA. should i give it a shot or just move on to shooters?

what say you?

thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: frustrated Madden player here: a couple questions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmetalbooze
so, in NCAA, does the CPU...
a) field the proper defensive packages according to the human players offensive package?
b) does the CPU call realistic plays (as opposed to blitzing everyone and just leaving 3 guys in coverage)?

a) yes...and actaully the computer knows exactly which package to put out based on your play call (i.e. on 3rd and 20+, if you call a run, you will see either a 4-3 or 4-6 D and if you pass on 2 and short, you will usually see nickel or Dime)

b)yes and no. I feel the default sliders are off. Big gamechanger for me is both gameplay sliders and coaching sliders. I feel the coaching sliders are even more important the gameplay. The CPU will blitz smarter and will mix in LB's in blitzing packages as opposed to blitzing CBs and Safeties all the time.

I use SECelite's gameplay sliders with the coaching slider modifications that are listed on his slider thread. Its the most real experience Ive had witha football game.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti_2009
a) yes...and actaully the computer knows exactly which package to put out based on your play call (i.e. on 3rd and 20+, if you call a run, you will see either a 4-3 or 4-6 D and if you pass on 2 and short, you will usually see nickel or Dime)

b)yes and no. I feel the default sliders are off. Big gamechanger for me is both gameplay sliders and coaching sliders. I feel the coaching sliders are even more important the gameplay. The CPU will blitz smarter and will mix in LB's in blitzing packages as opposed to blitzing CBs and Safeties all the time.

I use SECelite's gameplay sliders with the coaching slider modifications that are listed on his slider thread. Its the most real experience Ive had witha football game.
thanks for that. "Most real experience with a football game" -- does that include Madden?

are there any major glitches that impact realism with this game that i should know about? play calling, AI, anything... i don't mean little stuff but major things.

thanks again.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
thanks for that. "Most real experience with a football game" -- does that include Madden?

are there any major glitches that impact realism with this game that i should know about? play calling, AI, anything... i don't mean little stuff but major things.

thanks again.
I didnt get madden this year but had it last year. I do like the gameplay alot better in NCAA.

The only major gripe I can think of, is since the patches came out, some people will say the middle of the field is soft on man coverage. I would agree to this and thats why I use sliders buts its alot better then the DBs predicting the routes before.

Also, zone D is completely broken. I think i have used it less then 10 times since I got the game when it came out. It works fine when some players are put in zone, but picking a Zone D formation (regardless of the DBs ratings) will get torched if the QB has longer then 1 second to throw the ball. For some reason, the DBs and safeties run opposite of where they should be.

Other then that, I think the game is great and still cannot put it down. I play offline only and play almost a game every day. Have gone through 8 seasons in my dynasty (rough estimate -- have started over a couple times) and havent gotten bored of it.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:

thanks again.
You will have to adjust the sliders or it will either be Robo QB with no AI running game or a defensive TD festival.

I haven't played Madden in years since the PS2 days.

NCAA can be great at times, but other games, the AI will just give you 2 or 3 defensive TD's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
You will have to adjust the sliders or it will either be Robo QB with no AI running game or a defensive TD festival.

I haven't played Madden in years since the PS2 days.

NCAA can be great at times, but other games, the AI will just give you 2 or 3 defensive TD's.
this is true. Sliders are key and finding the right set will make the game that much more enjoyable.

Also, I think it was like this is madden last year.....there are times where your team can do no wrong and you get gifts from the CPU as turnovers that easily turn into TDs and also vice versa. I've had games against crappy teams where I shouldve walked all over them but had 4-5 uncharacteristic TO's and the game goes down to the wire.

Personally I think it makes the game that more entertaining, but some people expect to beat the weaker teams without a challenge...
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
Rookie

thanks again. so no zone D at all. i suppose i could live with that but it makes me a bit wary. my problem with madden is being limited to 2-WR sets (or else the CPU often covers a WR with a linebacker).

so not sure if i'm trading one problem for another.

one more thing please: i like the franchise aspect of building a team through free agents and the draft but i don't like the sound of recruiting. i don't want to spend much time playing out "storylines." is this possible?

thanks again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »