Home

I didn't want to admit it but, i don't know what i'm doing when picking plays.

This is a discussion on I didn't want to admit it but, i don't know what i'm doing when picking plays. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 22
I didn't want to admit it but, i don't know what i'm doing when picking plays.

Hi, this is pretty embarrassing to talk about, but bare with me.

First off, i love playing NCAA Football games, i started playing them with my dad when i was little, and went from there. I moved to the next generation console about 3 years ago, 3 years later, i still don't know what the hell i'm doing when i'm picking plays.

To make a long story short, i don't know how to read the defense, and i just pick any type of play and hope for the best. I find this extremely frustrating because i want to be the best, and i can't do that when i don't know what defense to run/offense to run.

How do i defend the run? How do i defend the pass? I usually run the 4-3 defense, but i've heard the 3-3-5 defense is good as well. I find all of this difficult, and it's ridiculous for a 18 year old like me to not know how to read the opponent defense.

Heres an example of what i do:

Opponent has the ball, i just pick any random defensive play and hope for the best. What's man defense good against? What's zone good against? What's the difference between quarters package and the dimes package and what's the difference between 4-3, 3-4.

I had NCAA 11 about 5 months ago, but i returned it. I'm getting it for Christmas and i want to know everything about playbooks and team styles like One back, Pro, Spread, Air Raid, Option, Run and Shoot, Multiple.

I also would love to learn what defense i'm going up against, so i can audible to a different play that goes great against that defense ( I think that's how it works).

This doesn't only affect my NCAA Football 11 pleasure, but it also affects me watching football in real life.

Help me out OS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 AM   #2
MVP

Re: I didn't want to admit it but, i don't know what i'm doing when picking plays.

One more thing OS.

If i'm a team like Texas Tech, and i'm using the Air Raid play-style online against my opponent. Wouldn't it be easy for my opponent to pick my offense apart if he know the air raid offense is all about passing the ball, can't he just choose a good pass defense play and stop my offense most of the game?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: I didn't want to admit it but, i don't know what i'm doing when picking plays.

It terms of defensive playcalling, one way is to judge by down and distance, the scenario, and by what personal the other teams offense will have on the field. Say it's first and 10 early in the first quater, and they come out in a set with 2 Tight ends, go with the 4-3 defense. From there, considering it's first and 10, I'd call a run blitz or stick with the base cover 2. Now say it's late in the third, and the other team's down a few a scores, and they come out with 4 wide. I'd go with the dime package.

Really the best starting point in defensive play calling, is having the right personal on the field to match the offense's personnel. You don't want to come out in a 4-3 when the other teams offense has 5 wide.

Another thing to remember is the team your playing and their tendency's, if your playing Texas tech, SMU, Houston, etc, come out in a pass defense often, even in what would be typical running scenarios.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Old 12-22-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_457
It terms of defensive playcalling, one way is to judge by down and distance, the scenario, and by what personal the other teams offense will have on the field. Say it's first and 10 early in the first quater, and they come out in a set with 2 Tight ends, go with the 4-3 defense. From there, considering it's first and 10, I'd call a run blitz or stick with the base cover 2. Now say it's late in the third, and the other team's down a few a scores, and they come out with 4 wide. I'd go with the dime package.

Really the best starting point in defensive play calling, is having the right personal on the field to match the offense's personnel. You don't want to come out in a 4-3 when the other teams offense has 5 wide.

Another thing to remember is the team your playing and their tendency's, if your playing Texas tech, SMU, Houston, etc, come out in a pass defense often, even in what would be typical running scenarios.
Thanks for the information. 4-3 is more of a package to stop the run right? What about Nickle D? Dime stops the pass..
Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

When I was starting out, I was given great advice, which was simply, match the number of wide outs to CBs on the pitch.

4-3 has 2 CBs, so if the opponent has 2 WRs out, call plays from the 4-3 set
Nickle has 3 CBs, so use against 3 WRs
Dime has 4 CBs etc etc etc

This is the best advice anyone ever gave me about calling plays, and I still use it to this day
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Nation
When I was starting out, I was given great advice, which was simply, match the number of wide outs to CBs on the pitch.

4-3 has 2 CBs, so if the opponent has 2 WRs out, call plays from the 4-3 set
Nickle has 3 CBs, so use against 3 WRs
Dime has 4 CBs etc etc etc

This is the best advice anyone ever gave me about calling plays, and I still use it to this day
Sounds good, thanks.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

As for your comment about Texas Tech and the Air Raid... some players can stop it, but if you run the offense right you can produce HUGE stats (dont expect any running though)... the key is to attack with multiple different plays from the same formation that do different things... that way the opponent cannot pick up on your tendencies (i.e. if he sees you go trips to one side you dont want him to automatically know you are gonna do the same thing)... don;t be afraid to hot route a receiver if the defense has a glaring hole either... or just to give a play you like to call a different look to throw off your opponent.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
What are you trying to do? That's what you have ask yourself. You ask yourself that on both sides of the ball. I have TCU Dynasty going running the Pistol offense and 335/34 defense.

On offense, its an option/power football team. My biggest thing is finding ways to get the ball into my playmakers hands. Since my QB -who is mobile- is my biggest playmaker, I do a lot of read options and QB roll outs. I also want to set up playaction, so those runs are helping in other ways.

On defense I want to kill the run and beat up the QB. I've recruited man cover corners so I can leave them 1 on 1 w/ WR's and blitz everyone else. I'm talking 5 and 6 man blitzes constantly. But I will drop back into a heavy zone on a 3rd down call thinking my opponent will think i m blitzing, get rid of the ball quicker than they want, thus throwing a pick.

Key thing is knowing your own team and you can go two ways when you learn that. You can either take what the defense/offense will give. Or, you can force your will on the offense/defense.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »