Home

Players Need to Add More Weight During Their Career

This is a discussion on Players Need to Add More Weight During Their Career within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Players Need to Add More Weight During Their Career

I'm most bothered by the 190 lb "power" backs, and 225 lb "speed" guys as well as the rail-thin DEs and LBs who are more often smaller than the safeties you can recruit.

Basically it seems like EA rushes every year to put out the product by August whatever, intead of making the most thorough, thought-out game possible.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
What's the difference? Unfortunately, his weight has nothing to do with how he plays.

Weight needs to actually mean something first before we worry about progression.

See I think weight does matter in the game through ratings. Some of these guys have amazing bench numbers which equal how strong they are. They have good block shed ratings as well. Then the o-linemen have great run/pass block strength and impact block. The only problem is those ratings don't equal the players size. The 5* DE that I spoke of in my post was a guy I signed to play in my 3-4 D. Even though the guy was 6'4" 220lbs, he had a strength rating of 87, block shed was an 89, power move was a 91, hit power was a 89. The guy played like he weighed 280lbs the way he could toss 300lb o-linemne around. If he had been 6'4" 280lbs I would not feel like it was 100% cheese.

So the easy fix is to a) make players gain weight, b) make sure the height/weight equal the players ratings or c) just allow the user to full edit players inside the dynasty mode. I vote for all 3.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
See I think weight does matter in the game through ratings. Some of these guys have amazing bench numbers which equal how strong they are. They have good block shed ratings as well. Then the o-linemen have great run/pass block strength and impact block. The only problem is those ratings don't equal the players size. The 5* DE that I spoke of in my post was a guy I signed to play in my 3-4 D. Even though the guy was 6'4" 220lbs, he had a strength rating of 87, block shed was an 89, power move was a 91, hit power was a 89. The guy played like he weighed 280lbs the way he could toss 300lb o-linemne around. If he had been 6'4" 280lbs I would not feel like it was 100% cheese.
You just contradicted yourself. How does weight matter in the current game if your 3-4 DE was 220 lbs? ANY 220 lb player is going to get shoved around like a rag doll as an interior lineman (let's not kid ourselves: 3-4 DE is an interior lineman IRL).

Bench and squat numbers have nothing to do with the players weight. They reflect more the position the recruit plays. Of course O-line and D-linemen are generally going to have high squat and bench numbers. Strength is a pretty important aspect of the game, and that's all the bench and squat numbers reflect: strength.

Weight has no baring on gameplay whatsoever, and you proved it with your 220 lb lineman story.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparrish
I agree 100% I just signed a 6'4" 256lb Guard in my OD, and I just can't start him because he is 256lbs. For someone reason it bothers me knowing no player could play Guard at a top level school at 256lbs.
Actually there are a few players in the past 3-4 years that have played on the OL despite not being very big or tall

Here's one example

http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-f...091007aab.html
Which is exactly why Paul Johnson decided the time was right last spring to make a change, shifting senior-to-be Antron Harper from the space he'd occupied at guard to that of the backbone of the Navy line.

Once believed to be the lightest offensive lineman in Division I-A, Harper had started every game of his sophomore and junior seasons off center. Still, it seemed, he was perfectly suited to be the man in the middle.

"Center is his natural position anyway," Johnson says of the 5-foot-11 Harper, who emerged in 2005 weighing roughly 30 pounds less than his current 270-plus. "He just fits what we're looking for. We've had bigger guys in there, but not as explosive."

Also there is a guy name Don Muhbach 6'4 256 who played on Texas AM Offensive Line not too long ago.....

Don Muhlbach is a center in the NFL for the Detroit Lions. He is a 7 year veteran of the NFL. Born 8/17/1981 in Newark, OH, Don Muhlbach played football at Texas A&M before jumping to the NFL in 2003....

So it's very rare but not unrealistic to have a few of those of those types of players who actually do make it

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 01-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
You just contradicted yourself. How does weight matter in the current game if your 3-4 DE was 220 lbs? ANY 220 lb player is going to get shoved around like a rag doll as an interior lineman (let's not kid ourselves: 3-4 DE is an interior lineman IRL).

Bench and squat numbers have nothing to do with the players weight. They reflect more the position the recruit plays. Of course O-line and D-linemen are generally going to have high squat and bench numbers. Strength is a pretty important aspect of the game, and that's all the bench and squat numbers reflect: strength.

Weight has no baring on gameplay whatsoever, and you proved it with your 220 lb lineman story.
You are right if you look at the players weight as a number like 220lbs then no weight does not matter. If you look at weight in the ratings then it does matter. Who ever created these recruits did a bad job on matching ratings to a players size. While the ratings allow the player to play above their size it makes that size have zero impact. If who ever created the recruits had made players have ratings that match their size then we would not create a thread about it.

The point I'm trying to make is that while weight as a number does not matter in the game. But if you look at it through the ratings then it does. What I'm trying to say is if these guys like my DE had a more true to life weight that equaled his ratings then the players size would mean something in the game. I know that in real life a 220lb kid could not play DE in the 3-4. I hope that cleared up mu thoughts.

I just read my original post again and see what you are talking about. I used the word "there" when talking about weight as an impact. That was the wrong word to use. By "there" I meant it could be corrected in the game. There is a major flaw in ratings not matching a players build. That is why we see the 199lb power backs or the 5'9" WR that run a 4.7 and have D's in ACC and AGL. There is no tie to ratings and a players build. Since each are not tied the fix is just makeing sure the ratings match the players. Sorry for not making sure what I was thinking was what I was typing.

Last edited by jbrew2411; 01-29-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Just saw something
Old 01-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
Banned

devinewon's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
What's the difference? Unfortunately, his weight has nothing to do with how he plays.

Weight needs to actually mean something first before we worry about progression.
It did mean something in NCAA 10. Thats the crazy thing! How did we go backwards?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinewon
It did mean something in NCAA 10. Thats the crazy thing! How did we go backwards?
I don't remember weight having any impact in NCAA 10, seemed like the exact same thing we're seeing now.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #16
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeafroman
I'm most bothered by the 190 lb "power" backs, and 225 lb "speed" guys as well as the rail-thin DEs and LBs who are more often smaller than the safeties you can recruit.

Basically it seems like EA rushes every year to put out the product by August whatever, intead of making the most thorough, thought-out game possible.
I had a thread earlier where I looked at a recruiting database. The weight of the recruits is completely independent of their ratings. A RB could be slow and super strong with monster break tackle and they might say he's 170 lbs. It makes no sense. We can't assume every fast RB will be light or that every big and strong back will be slow but there has to be some correlation between weight and player ratings. There is none and that is true for every position. They just have a built in weight range for a specific position and it's completely random. That's no good imo.

I had created a weight generator (only RB and OL as examples) where it would generate the weight of a recruit based on a few key ratings. Throw in a little random number to keep it from being too exact and presto - something that actually makes sense.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Weight_Generator.zip (8.7 KB, 6 views)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »