Home

Why people complain about the game so much...

This is a discussion on Why people complain about the game so much... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #33
Banned

ViLLiO's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Why people complain about the game so much...

Because defense is broken.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #34
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonTiger
Expressing your concerns and complaing about gameplay, only to complain about presentation when the gameplay is fixed are two completely different things.
Who ever said the gameplay was fixed? The gameplay has been broken since day one. Everytime they fixed something another piece of the game broke. Oh and how long did we have to deal with the Pump Fake Glitch, I mean, where was the hotfix? Point is people complain about gameplay because we are not "arcade" gamers. If I wanted NFL Blitz, I would buy NFL Blitz. The thing is people want a sim football game, which EA used to deliver, but in their recent years they have constantly appealed to the casual game, and left the rest of us to the wayside.

Let me ask you this, how come NFL 2K5 had consecutive hit tackles, very little motion shifting, offensive and defensive lines that worked properly (ie the offensive line blocked well but couldn't hold back a four man rush for over 10 seconds, as well as Punt and Kick Returns that actually looked like their real life counter parts.

Pro-Tak was a gimmick that gave an illusion of realism, but we have all had a WR initiate Pro-Tak and fall forward despite having 3 linebackers and a safty come in to tackle him. Also how about my linemen pushing the RB forward in Pro-Tak, thats just awesome. Obviously the gameplay is behind where it should be.

Like I said 2004 was the pinacle of Football gaming, and only fools would have thought that progress would have continued at the same rate, but nobody expected the game to take a nose dive and never recover.

SO to use football terms, in 2004 we were at the opposing 20 yard line, now in 2011 we are around our own 35. Why, because of no defense to speak of, which is 50% of the game, poor special teams(to be fair, this has always plauged EA games), Robo Qbs, No drops (or unrealistic drops),, no ability to realistically throw to the back of the endzone, no shotgun blocking, no pass block on PA, every run can be bounced to the outside for 5+ yards, an AI that must cheat to be effective and Dynasty was not tuned at all for the long haul (more proof they only appealed to the "casual gamer" who was just going to play 1 or two seasons).

My apologies for this rant, but the gameplay is not fixed, not by a long shot.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #35
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

I'd just like to point out that even I, as a lover of lastgen's gameplay, can see we're looking through rose-tinted glasses a bit. Up to NCAA 2003 you couldn't even do basic things like reverse the direction of a play. 2004 may be the pinnacle, but the defense had serious problems with pursuit angles. 2005 had issues with too many dropped passes. 2006 introduced 8 fumbles per game. I personally think NCAA 2008 is the best lastgen version made. It had most of the bugs fixed, solid gameplay, and presentation. Everything after that was just a roster update. But even in lastgen there were always things that got messed up from version to version, things that got "overfixed" (i.e. too easy to run? Okay in the next verison we'll make it impossible to run etc). The main problem is they threw away all that progress and started over on current gen for no good reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #36
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
...But in truth, I think the amount of complaining is actually an indicator of how much people enjoy it...
Ummm... No. The game had big problems even after all the patching, and with a dwindled down choice of football games to choose from, it's going to leave a lot of people wanting.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #37
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

Quote:
I'd just like to point out that even I, as a lover of lastgen's gameplay, can see we're looking through rose-tinted glasses a bit. Up to NCAA 2003 you couldn't even do basic things like reverse the direction of a play. 2004 may be the pinnacle, but the defense had serious problems with pursuit angles. 2005 had issues with too many dropped passes. 2006 introduced 8 fumbles per game. I personally think NCAA 2008 is the best lastgen version made. It had most of the bugs fixed, solid gameplay, and presentation. Everything after that was just a roster update. But even in lastgen there were always things that got messed up from version to version, things that got "overfixed" (i.e. too easy to run? Okay in the next verison we'll make it impossible to run etc). The main problem is they threw away all that progress and started over on current gen for no good reason.
I don't think anybody is thinking any game was perfect, but they were better.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #38
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
I don't think anybody is thinking any game was perfect, but they were better.
Overall yes. In every way? No. Recruiting is far better now. Graphics are (of course) better now. There is online dynasty etc etc. There was no less complaining then that there is now.

But again the big problem seems to be fixes don't "stick". Things they get right are undone. For instance playaction and spread option worked before but suddenly in '11 they are hosed. It feels like climbing a mountain of sand.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #39
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

Quote:
Overall yes. In every way? No. Recruiting is far better now. Graphics are (of course) better now. There is online dynasty etc etc. There was no less complaining then that there is now.

But again the big problem seems to be fixes don't "stick". Things they get right are undone. For instance playaction and spread option worked before but suddenly in '11 they are hosed. It feels like climbing a mountain of sand.
Notice none of your suggestions include actual gameplay features and only one involves actual improvements to dynasty. The gameplay has regressed as has dynasty as a whole.

Anyways, we have gotten off topic. I think the most rational of us know that the reason people complain is that we miss the simulation experience we used to get, and are getting tired of EA taking one step forward and two steps back. For some reason they wont make an expansion that adds on to the game while allowing other parts to work.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:18 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
Notice none of your suggestions include actual gameplay features and only one involves actual improvements to dynasty. The gameplay has regressed as has dynasty as a whole.

Anyways, we have gotten off topic. I think the most rational of us know that the reason people complain is that we miss the simulation experience we used to get, and are getting tired of EA taking one step forward and two steps back. For some reason they wont make an expansion that adds on to the game while allowing other parts to work.
for someone that doesnt even own the game, you sure do spend a lot of time responding to threads in this forum.

i, for one, have a simulation experience every single time i play this game. why cant you?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »