Home

Strategic AI (or lack there of)

This is a discussion on Strategic AI (or lack there of) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8
Strategic AI (or lack there of)

Ok we all know the game cheats on Heisman. And then we go play on All-American, even with the slider adjustments, and the AI still calls some of the dumbest plays ever.

It just seems there is no strategical AI that is able to take into account, the down, the score, the clock, their strong points, the opponents strong points, as well as what has and has not been working.

While I am fully aware that making the AI capable of all of these things is a near impossible task due to the complexity of coding even a simple AI, but then adding in how the AI would recognize what is and is not working the way a human would.

The thing is in the current state you have three options, beat up on the AI in All-American, submit yourself to the will of the AI on Heisman, or take your chances online and hope that you can play one of the 33% of the community that actually plays the game like a simulation football game.

What do you guys think? What is the problem and how could it be fixed?
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Strategic AI (or lack there of)

I'm playing on Heisman right now w/ really difficult sliders. Scoring a TD takes game-planning, good execution and even some luck at times. I even set the penalty sliders higher so there are penalties now, just like in real life. Average game... 10 minute quarters, is about 3-4 penalties per team. But when you convert 3rd and 6 and get called for holding... it's just like real life, 'cause it stings.

Even w/ adjustments though, the AI sometimes does some real stupid stuff and like you said, it would be nice if it were more real. Not knowing anything about coding or how difficult it is, I can't tell you what they can or could do, but I sincerely hope that when the next gen... PS4/X 720 or whatever they will be called, I hope that the games blow us away like we were promised this gen.

I see a lot of people on here complaining about petty little things, and while those things would be nice, game-play is and should be priority numero uno!

When you think back to 2002 and how the games looked and played, now we have far superior graphics, but game-play issues abound and it shouldn't be this way in 2011.

As far as EA... one thing I would love them to do, if possible, is bring in some real coaches and actually learn about the game. Being a fan and making the game versus actually KNOWING the game are two different things.

Then, if they could code everything they learned... we'd have something special.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Yeah something needs to be done about the AI. Didn't 2k sports have a progressive AI that learned how you played and then would find ways to stop you, so you had to make sure you called a balanced game to keep the AI guessing. I think this was in NFL 2k 05 or 06. Then EA bought the licensing and was the only game that could put out a NFL game and 2k pretty much died. I know we are talking about NCAA but I would think something along those lines would be nice improvement.

Basically EA need to start really addressing the issue and stop making a stupid Road to Glory mode that sucks.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

OVR: 3

The lack of capitalism is the problem. EA has no competition, and thus, no incentive to make the best possible product. They make a product that is good enough to make the desired amount of money, that's all.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
I'm playing on Heisman right now w/ really difficult sliders. Scoring a TD takes game-planning, good execution and even some luck at times. I even set the penalty sliders higher so there are penalties now, just like in real life. Average game... 10 minute quarters, is about 3-4 penalties per team. But when you convert 3rd and 6 and get called for holding... it's just like real life, 'cause it stings.

Even w/ adjustments though, the AI sometimes does some real stupid stuff and like you said, it would be nice if it were more real. Not knowing anything about coding or how difficult it is, I can't tell you what they can or could do, but I sincerely hope that when the next gen... PS4/X 720 or whatever they will be called, I hope that the games blow us away like we were promised this gen.

I see a lot of people on here complaining about petty little things, and while those things would be nice, game-play is and should be priority numero uno!

When you think back to 2002 and how the games looked and played, now we have far superior graphics, but game-play issues abound and it shouldn't be this way in 2011.

As far as EA... one thing I would love them to do, if possible, is bring in some real coaches and actually learn about the game. Being a fan and making the game versus actually KNOWING the game are two different things.

Then, if they could code everything they learned... we'd have something special.
Dude you are spot on with this but it's not the console makers fault that we don't have games that "blow us way". Even that is to be debatable because we have some pretty awesome game this gen. Outside of The Show and NBA 2k11, sports games this gen pretty much suck right now. It's up to the developers to give us the best gaming experience possible and we have not gotten that....

ben
voodoo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
It just seems there is no strategical AI that is able to take into account, the down, the score, the clock, their strong points, the opponents strong points, as well as what has and has not been working.

While I am fully aware that making the AI capable of all of these things is a near impossible task due to the complexity of coding even a simple AI, but then adding in how the AI would recognize what is and is not working the way a human would.
Here's where you're wrong. It's not a near impossible task at all. I'm a programmer and it would be simple to do this. That's why so many of us find it aggravating. There is NO reason the AI shouldn't call plays intelligently based on the criteria you laid out. It just doesn't because they haven't programmed it to. It does take into account down and distance, but beyond that doesn't seem to take much else.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

personallly on D, i think the cpu has to be reactive for the most part and the mirroring is annoying however the reason the D does not seem to learn and evolve is becuase its already playing at max recognition due to the high ratings. and low teams dont exibit this because they cannot go beyong their rating cap to jump plays or react differently....

on offense. the game suffers from the lack of priority, lets say its and 2nd and 17 and a passing team calls a pass play. IMO that play should be broken down into roles the cpu should look for in making a decision ex. deep threat(it may be his fav WR) past the 1st down marker, posession WR maybe picking up 7 yds, TE if in the play somewhere as a secrurity for moderate yds and a back as a dump off option.......if its 5WR same fornula: fav, security, dump off/scramble

then the D forces the decision of what the QB has to take,

i truly believe the game has a priority rating(obviously not named specifically) but its numbers are high and shared by all players so the cpu cannot display and real progression.

i say this because its the only explaination why the cpu would ignore the #1 and 2 wr and pass across its body to the blanketed and stopped his route ages ago FB. he shares this rating that says he is a valid option

i would rather see the cpu get picked forcing it to its star player who has the required yardage, than picked throwing across your body to the 65 cth FB/HB clearly short by a mile...... on 2nd down......

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
MVP

Son of Sam99's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rls22jr
Yeah something needs to be done about the AI. Didn't 2k sports have a progressive AI that learned how you played and then would find ways to stop you, so you had to make sure you called a balanced game to keep the AI guessing. I think this was in NFL 2k 05 or 06. Then EA bought the licensing and was the only game that could put out a NFL game and 2k pretty much died. I know we are talking about NCAA but I would think something along those lines would be nice improvement.

Basically EA need to start really addressing the issue and stop making a stupid Road to Glory mode that sucks.
Not sure about this but I thought last years or two years ago Madden had this sort of thing that learned how a person played and adjusting to that. I dont really play madden so I dont know how it worked out.

I agree on RTG, dont they still have Mascot Mash Up too? What a joke.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »