Home

Option Offense

This is a discussion on Option Offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Option Offense

I have very little success with the triple option. It takes too long for the FB animation. By the time you've snapped the ball and faked to the FB, and wait for the linemen to pull, and wait for the acceleration rating to kick in and get the QB moving, there's virtually always someone in the backfield. I can break one here and there, but for the most part, I abandoned the triple option. Speed option I have a lot more success with because the timing is more accurate and I can get around the line before I've been sacked. Like others have said, play action and option passes are indeed broken. I played about 9 seasons with Army. I think there were 3 of those 9 seasons where I did not attempt a pass. I survived on straight run, speed option, and only calling triple option when I had predetermined that it was going to the FB.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Option Offense

Like i said earlier the Triple Option playbook is broken. I think I have seen some reasons why, other than the obvious ones.

I notice on the option pass, you tackle is trying to form a pocket, and is dropping back while pushing the linemen outside. This ruins the entire play because the play is designed to go outside.

Other problems with the offense is that the backside tackle doesn't pick up his man, but instead goes after a LB toward the playside, leaving a DE untouched to run down your QB.

Another problem is the absolute lack of any physics. This offense relies on your FB lowering his shoulder and falling forward, but in the game, he just runs into the line upright and gets stood up by a guy half of his size, with no momentum and who was motion shifted in front of the FB.

Simply put the game mechanics are the reason this offense doesn't work.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »