Home

Am I the only one who cares about depth? (Other than "roster guys")

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who cares about depth? (Other than "roster guys") within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:24 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Am I the only one who cares about depth? (Other than "roster guys")

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I believe it's been said that memory issues prohibit more than a 70 man roster.
If that is the excuse, it is just that, an excuse.

The previous generation of consoles (NCAA 06) could handle 55-man rosters for 198 teams (10,890 players). You could have 90-man rosters for the 120 D-IA teams in NCAA 12 and come in at 10,800 players. A limit of 85 would be 10,200 players. Yes, I know that you could only play with 119 teams in NCAA 06's dynasty, but the disc has rosters for all 198 teams.

There have been several times when I've had near 90 players on my roster at the cut screen (full 70 during season, less than 10 seniors, full class of 25). Looking at other teams, I would say that half end up with 80+ before cuts every off-season. If the game is already set up to allow for that many players on the team before cuts, why would it be so hard to make the limit 90? EA could even ship the game with 70-man rosters but allow use to create players to get to the 85 or 90 limit.

You really think memory is the reason why we actually have smaller rosters on "next gen" consoles? I don't see it, especially since you are dealing with little more than text and data which take up little memory.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:36 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

Utahman GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE, I was thinking the exact thing about them sending the game with 70 man rosters but room for the additional players the following offseason(s).
Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Rookie

Considering the actual player records would only be text and numbers representing ratings and body style choices and not individual player models I wouldn't think additional players would take up that much space... granted you would have to track more stats and a larger depth chart but even that is just text/numeric data and I wouldn't think it would take that much space (and would be stored on the console not the disc anyways).

If they are talking main memory (not disc memory) then you are actually only loading 30 more players each game which shouldn't add much to each game.... heck make it similar to NCAA traveling roster rules, you can have 85 players on your roster but only 70 can be active at a time if main memory is an issue... It would take a little coding to add the ability to move players in and out of the active roster but I think it would make most of us who don't like the 70 man roster happy... we don't need all 85 active each game, we just don't want to cut recruits that could provide future depth... and then if you have 2 RBs get hurt for extended time you can bump them off the active roster and move up 2 lower rated recruits... they may not be taht good but at least they are actual RBs.

If they had to include additional player models for the extra players I could see it but they would likely keep the same number of body options they already have to cover the newer players.

My guess is its more a time issue, if you add 15 more players to each roster then someone has to scout 15 more players for each team to include with the release rosters (yes they could just up the max number per team and only put 70 on each team to start with but I doubt they'd want to do that).

I could be totally off base.

Last edited by mattbooty; 04-08-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5

I think we absolutely need 85 man rosters. As it stands, it makes recruiting so unrealistic. The "hardcore" guys on here only put 15 guys on their boards so they can be sure to sign the 12 they need because they are graduating. Are you kidding me? Purdue signed around 14 guys this year, but I can assure you they recruited more than 50 and had somewhere around 40 offers out there. Heck I'm ok with the 35 man recruit board for simplicity's sake if I can sign 15 every year to ensure I stay at 85 max. Do all teams in college football fill it every year? No. A team has a bad run and they can't get guys and their roster is at 65-70. It happens. It would also make use of the huge amount of recruits that exist that as it stands most don't get signed or get cut.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
Rookie

I would love to see gameplay changes this year to fix defensive problems, etc... but for me the 2 biggest things that would make me the happiest NCAA fan in the world this year would be:

1. Larger roster (even as I described above only having 70 active)
2. Realistic recruiting limits... meaning if I have 85 guys on roster, and only 10 are seniors, I can only sign 10 new guys (I can offer more but once the 10th signs I'm done).. the following year I lose 20 guys I can sign 20 new guys.... This would make offseason recruiting more interesting also as with Juniors leaving early you could end up with an extra schollie you didn't know you would have.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
Pro

brza37's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty
I would love to see gameplay changes this year to fix defensive problems, etc... but for me the 2 biggest things that would make me the happiest NCAA fan in the world this year would be:

1. Larger roster (even as I described above only having 70 active)
2. Realistic recruiting limits... meaning if I have 85 guys on roster, and only 10 are seniors, I can only sign 10 new guys (I can offer more but once the 10th signs I'm done).. the following year I lose 20 guys I can sign 20 new guys.... This would make offseason recruiting more interesting also as with Juniors leaving early you could end up with an extra schollie you didn't know you would have.
If only real FBS schools outside of the Big Ten played by these rules...

oversigning

Commissioner of Sim Madden League Europe. Established league for sim players in Europe. Join here:
SML - Europe PS4 Madden Online Franchise
Old 04-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
Rookie

I am glad that you guys chimmed in because on the wishlist forums no one seems to care about this and I would second the scholarship limit being only the amount of guys whom you are losing +(0-2) or so. This would help with spreading the ratings and allow the CPU to be competitive IMO. I play in an OD with pretty good human recruiters but they play with the Texas' and Floridas of the world which gives them a huge recruiting advantage from offseason #1 (If the NCAA is going to put limits on what EA can put in the game I WOULD THINK oversigning would be the biggest NO NO). Not everyone wants to recruit/play like Lies Miles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Depth is irrelevant in a game w/o a realistic amount of injuries.

Why do I need an 85 man roster when I can play an entire season and suffer 0 injuries that last longer than a game? Also there's no other things like players failing out / getting arrested / quitting etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »