Home

Zone Defense Video in Slow Motion

This is a discussion on Zone Defense Video in Slow Motion within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #41
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Zone Defense Video in Slow Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECElite3
I think we all need to be careful to not jump the gun here. I recall there being quite a few of these threads last year. However, the final release of the game played nothing like I expected from watching pre-launch videos.

A couple of things I would like to point out:

We have the ability to change the threshold. I did a lot of testing with this feature last year and it makes quite a bit of difference in how the animations play out. These videos appear to be taken with a higher threshold and faster game speed. Higher thresholds make the players appear like they are sliding because acceleration plays much less of a factor in how the players move. Because of the acceleration factor, the players at lower thresholds also seem like they have more weight.

It is my opinion, last years game played most realistically at the lower thresholds, but it also my opinion that the threshold was not properly balanced in how offensive and defensive players reacted with the changes to the threshold setting; this is what caused offense to feel too "easy"

EA needs to properly balance the threshold between the offense and defense or add separate threshold sliders for each side of the ball.

Finally, I would again state that we are basing our judgements on a build which is not the final build of the game. I can clearly see that is not the finished product. I suspect that is a much earlier build.

just my 2 cents for what it is worth
I agree, and for what it's worth I think everyone here realizes the things you point out. It's just like a bunch of old guys sitting in the barber shop gossiping because they need something to do lol. I for one am excited for this year's game regardless of the nitpicking
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston_Tiger
Yeah the 1:20 mark is UGLY.
What makes this so ugly? I manually control the linebacker that's on the tight end side, especially if I think the TE streak is coming. I would have manually defended that play the same way. I have no problem with the D in this video, AT ALL!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #43
Banned

ViLLiO's Arena

OVR: 13

I want to see the play at 1:00 (Miami/FSU) against the Cover 2. Florida State dropped in the Cover 4 and that's why they picked off the slot on the post. The RB on the curl was wide friggin' open about 7 yards out, so I definitely would've hit him instead.

Which brings me back to my original point; I want to see that same exact play against the Cover 2, just to see if the three receivers going deep would've split the zone or not. If they did, then we are going to have a beautiful game, and NO one could convince me otherwise. ZONE D!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 15

I think this video makes people upset because what appears to be a "fixed" zone is really masked by the DB's just being able to slide, warp, and do things to the get to the ball way faster than they should be able to. We all know EA's track record of them saying the have "fixed" things in the game only to find out that they really just use smoke and mirrors to make it look "fixed". This appears to me to be smoke and mirrors by making the DB's not smarter, but just being able to do things like backpedal and strafe 10-15 as fast as WR can run forward. It just makes people upset.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #45
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
I think this video makes people upset because what appears to be a "fixed" zone is really masked by the DB's just being able to slide, warp, and do things to the get to the ball way faster than they should be able to. We all know EA's track record of them saying the have "fixed" things in the game only to find out that they really just use smoke and mirrors to make it look "fixed". This appears to me to be smoke and mirrors by making the DB's not smarter, but just being able to do things like backpedal and strafe 10-15 as fast as WR can run forward. It just makes people upset.
I really doubt it's intentionally smoke and mirrors with the developers, but I can see the people upset may feel that way.

I feel they feel they are trying to put out the best product as possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 19

Surely we can't be in the wrong for believing what Ben said, right?

http://www.ea.com/ncaa-football/vide...e-new-gameplay

Not nitpicking, but he has to be held accountable with what they're advertising as "New Gameplay".
He said it!!!

At marks :37-:40 he says that "you don't see players sliding/warping anymore to get into position", but their vid's clearly show that it still does happen (whether early build or not)

When the community finds issues like this that counters what you've advertise, marketing timetables should go out the window.

Release another video showing that the issue has been addressed and the community will not be asked to wait for a Patch/Tuner to address what was made aware during the timeframe you've acknowledged, you're still "Tuning/Tweaking" the game.

What's worse, is that there has been "0", "ZERO" interaction with the forum communities.
Especially since their video's show that there are still Gameplay issues from last year's release that seem to still exist.

My fear is that they will quickly roll into the Dynasty phase to stay in line with their Marketing Timetable without showing they addressed this and other GAMEPLAY issues.

I guess they'll release an after purchase Patch/Tuner to address!

Maybe I'm being too extreme about the whole thing?

Last edited by khaliib; 05-04-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Surely we can't be in the wrong for believing what Ben said, right?

http://www.ea.com/ncaa-football/vide...e-new-gameplay

Not nitpicking, but he has to be held accountable with what they're advertising as "New Gameplay".
He said it!!!

At marks :37-:40 he says that "you don't see players sliding/warping anymore to get into position", but their vid's clearly show that it still does happen (whether early build or not)

When the community finds issues like this that counters what you've advertise, marketing timetables should go out the window.

Release another video showing that the issue has been addressed and the community will not be asked to wait for a Patch/Tuner to address what was made aware during the timeframe you've acknowledged, you're still "Tuning/Tweaking" the game.

What's worse, is that there has been "0", "ZERO" interaction with the forum communities.
Especially since their video's show that there are still Gameplay issues from last year's release that seem to still exist.

My fear is that they will quickly roll into the Dynasty phase to stay in line with their Marketing Timetable without showing they addressed this and other GAMEPLAY issues.

I guess they'll release an after purchase Patch/Tuner to address!

Maybe I'm being too extreme about the whole thing?
you've also got to provide the context to what he was addressing.

he was specifically talking about sliding/warping to get into position to tackle, which has nothing to do with these animations.

however, it does need to be addressed/fixed in this context.

also, about the backpedaling as fast a wr runs forward, that's not the case. watch the video from 1:43-1:48 (right as the wr makes his cut), there are a few things to point out:

1 - you can barely catch it, but right before the play starts, the db is moving back already, so he has a 'head start', whereas the wr has to accelerate from a dead start.

2 - once wr gets up to speed (about 1:44/1:45 mark) they are roughly 10 yds apart.

3 - by 1:47 mark, they are roughly 8 yds apart (when db is right on 50 yd line)

4 - by the time the wr makes his cut (1:48 mark) at the 45 yd line, they are about 7 yds apart.

5 - and at 1:49 mark, they are about 5 yrds apart (wr on 50, db on other 45).

so, while the sliding by the db looked pretty bad, the gap was closed by the wr. probably needs to be a little quicker (in about 1-2 second instead of 3-5, the db needs to back pedal slower and turn and run sooner), but it is happening. just needs to be tweaked.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #48
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubeavs721
this is the problem in the football community. They slow everything down so it doesnt look realistic and complain. If you play the game at normal speed the giliding doesnt look like gliding. Does it suck they glide? yes, but as long as i get a realistic playing game like last year i will be happy with it
What? It didnt look good in regular speed.

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Washington Redskins
Miami Heat

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »