Home

Gap Based A.I.

This is a discussion on Gap Based A.I. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Gap Based A.I.

How would you guys feel if Madden and NCAA had gap assignment A.I.? As a DL one of the first things we are taught is how to leverage your gap and for other defensive players they're taught run fits. I feel as if they added this to their gap it would defense a hundred times better and easier. Imagine if you could create stunts were player go in the correct gaps and you could wreak havoc on the QB? Or if your LB's would shoot their gaps and you could make some play in the backfield?

Please post your thoughts on this
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Gap Based A.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiansbro
How would you guys feel if Madden and NCAA had gap assignment A.I.? As a DL one of the first things we are taught is how to leverage your gap and for other defensive players they're taught run fits. I feel as if they added this to their gap it would defense a hundred times better and easier. Imagine if you could create stunts were player go in the correct gaps and you could wreak havoc on the QB? Or if your LB's would shoot their gaps and you could make some play in the backfield?

Please post your thoughts on this
i think anything to improve line play is welcomed. the question is, can they get the AI to respond right.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

They tried this last year and it was called real assignment AI. Didn't work out too well.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
They tried this last year and it was called real assignment AI. Didn't work out too well.
The real assignment A.I. was for the offense and how they block their man like they are supposed to in real life. Which to me is good but they got to work the kinks out. They need the offensive to be able to make decisions like they do in real life to what defense they are shown, but that is off topic, anyways im talking about the defensive side of the ball and how they should be responsible for a gap.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

I imagine it would be really hard to implement effectively, because it's the basic foundation of defensive football, yet it's still not in the game. It's the reason the defense is broken.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

Real assignment AI was for both sides of the ball.

Pass block strength
Pass block footwork
Run block strength
Run block footwork

Those Ratings was for real assignment AI for the offense

Play recognization
Pursuit
Power Moves
Finese Moves

Those ratings was for real assignment AI for the defense side of the ball

All of them determined how the line interacted, who blocked who and who shot through which gap.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Rookie

nighttrain32's Arena

OVR: 5

I would love to see both gap control defense and read based defense. It would be a welcome over the predetermined AI which plays the perfect D depending on your play. Its dumb how when you run the read option, the end either steps down or chases but when you run the counter out of shotgun, which is the same blocking concept, the end always chases. If the defense as a whole had a rhyme or reason for their reactions, the gameplay would be more organic.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

The defense does have a reason for their reaction, it is called their awareness and play recognition attribute.

Awareness determines how well they see the field and what is going on.

Play recognition determines how often they get fooled on misdirection plays and how fast they learn your pattern of running the same formation over and over. Players with high play recognition will rarely fall for a misdirection play and normally will learn your play calling routine after 2 series.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »