Home

Why do the following completely do-able Dynasty features feel like pipe dreams?

This is a discussion on Why do the following completely do-able Dynasty features feel like pipe dreams? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Why do the following completely do-able Dynasty features feel like pipe dreams?

A few things that could make dynasties so much better, and add depth to what has been a shallow and stale game mode for nearly a decade now:

- Coaching staffs. Just because you're the head coach doesn't mean you can change philosophies at will. Adding coaches with particular styles of play (for instance a defensive coach who is well-versed in the 3-4) should impact your team accordingly. A good linebackers coach should have more of an effect on your team's linebacking corps than your school's athletic facilities.

Now how you would implement this is easy: use the names of actual coaching staffs (those guys aren't bound by arbitrary NCAA regulations as far as I know), and rank their coaching ability similarly to the "My School" rankings. I realize that a coach's ability is subjective, but so are preseason polls and we have that awesome "feature" every year without fail.

Your position coaches could be hired away, either to better jobs or better opportunities (like head coaching positions). This would impact your "Coaching style" recruiting pitch and also your "Coach prestige". Because you built up a line of successful coaches that went on to bigger and better things, your coaching tree reflects your own prestige.

Realistic recruiting height/weight and physical progression. Forget about ratings for a second, EA did those the right way with NCAA 11. One thing they didn't do, however, is recruit size. A 6'1 265 pound offensive tackle will never play division two football, let alone be ranked in the ESPNU Top 150 and a five star prospect. Defensive ends are no longer 215 pounds unless they are a project, and they should be able to add weight to fill out their frame accordingly.

A redshirt year should mean more than not getting to play. It should be about adding size and, concurrently, strength and speed/quickness/explosiveness.

So why do these additions seem like pipe dreams? The answer is easy: because EA is the only company that can offer us a college football video game. Because it's the only thing out there, people will buy it. And as long as people buy it, EA doesn't care how the game is. Until they do start to care about their product, simple advances like better graphics and pylon physics are the best new additions we will get. Wait did I say simple advances? I meant baby steps.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Why do the following completely do-able Dynasty features feel like pipe dreams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoondockSooner
A few things that could make dynasties so much better, and add depth to what has been a shallow and stale game mode for nearly a decade now:

- Coaching staffs. Just because you're the head coach doesn't mean you can change philosophies at will. Adding coaches with particular styles of play (for instance a defensive coach who is well-versed in the 3-4) should impact your team accordingly. A good linebackers coach should have more of an effect on your team's linebacking corps than your school's athletic facilities.

Now how you would implement this is easy: use the names of actual coaching staffs (those guys aren't bound by arbitrary NCAA regulations as far as I know), and rank their coaching ability similarly to the "My School" rankings. I realize that a coach's ability is subjective, but so are preseason polls and we have that awesome "feature" every year without fail.

Your position coaches could be hired away, either to better jobs or better opportunities (like head coaching positions). This would impact your "Coaching style" recruiting pitch and also your "Coach prestige". Because you built up a line of successful coaches that went on to bigger and better things, your coaching tree reflects your own prestige.

Realistic recruiting height/weight and physical progression. Forget about ratings for a second, EA did those the right way with NCAA 11. One thing they didn't do, however, is recruit size. A 6'1 265 pound offensive tackle will never play division two football, let alone be ranked in the ESPNU Top 150 and a five star prospect. Defensive ends are no longer 215 pounds unless they are a project, and they should be able to add weight to fill out their frame accordingly.

A redshirt year should mean more than not getting to play. It should be about adding size and, concurrently, strength and speed/quickness/explosiveness.

So why do these additions seem like pipe dreams? The answer is easy: because EA is the only company that can offer us a college football video game. Because it's the only thing out there, people will buy it. And as long as people buy it, EA doesn't care how the game is. Until they do start to care about their product, simple advances like better graphics and pylon physics are the best new additions we will get. Wait did I say simple advances? I meant baby steps.
Personally, I don't think either of these are Pipe Dreams. Obviously we are nearing on a Coaching Carousel, and with this (or maybe a year after), we are going to see coaching staffs.

Weight and height progression seems so doable, that I actually believe that if we called for it enough, EA would give it to us. JMO.

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Rookie

Re: Why do the following completely do-able Dynasty features feel like pipe dreams?

What I'm saying is they're not going to do it because it's too much work. These two features alone would add so much more replayability to Dynasty mode it's ridiculous.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Pro

JalenTigh's Arena

OVR: 6

Agreed on both counts... Ive said as much every year for the last 5 years.

The height weight issues are beyond easy to fix. Just add height/weight max/minimums for each position to create a player. Thats where the the recruits come from, just the CPU generates them instead of you. I would prefer actual size progression in dynasty... but just fixing create a player would be a start.

As for the staff members, I think we will see them eventually. a Coaching carousel is certainly a step in the right direction (if the rumors are true). They will use that to build upon in future years.

Georgia

College Basketball
Maryland
Georgetown

NFL
Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens

Old 05-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

Being able to edit rosters ratings/size and a "recruit generator" so to speak would add a ton of replay value to dynasty as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

We might weight progression for positions right this year, they haven't really released any information other than presentation things, zone d, and tackling.

I would LOVE to have position coaches and a strength and conditioning coach. Position coaches would determine (along with potential, etc) how a player would progress with their position skills and the S&C coach would determine how they would progress physically (weight, agility, acceleration, speed, strength)
Old 05-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Rookie

alphaguy5's Arena

If they added just one of these improvements, I would run out and pre-order the game instead of being on the fence like I currently am. That is how much improvement they would bring to a dynasty.

That, or coaching carousel.
Lions
Packers
Fulham Football Club

Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaguy5
That, or coaching carousel.
Dynasty info released on May 23....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »