Home

My solution to tendencies for NCAA.

This is a discussion on My solution to tendencies for NCAA. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
My solution to tendencies for NCAA.

A discussion in another thread about scrambling QB's got me to thinking. What can be done to get players to play to there strengths. My original thought was what Madden and most other sports titles are doing. Which may be fine when there's a reasonable amount of players. College football has a huge roster(and most of us here would like it expanded) so having a whole set of number ratings for tendencies may just be too much.

120teams(and growing)x70 players=8400
32teamsx85?(after you factor in FA's)=2720

So instead of adding a bunch of new tendencies ratings I would like the dev team to expand on the tendency system already in the game. 1st this system has to be programmed to work more effectively. They already have Run Stopping DE or Scrambling QB which we all know just doesn't work. So the next dev cycle really need to be dedicated to making tendencies matter. 2nd they need to do some serious mo-cap work and add more rating specific moves at every position. and 3rd I would like there to be three or so categories for every position to help futher seperate styles of play. Something like this

QB
System- Pro stlye/Spread/Option/Pistol/Air Raid/West Coast
Pocket Tendency- Run 1st/Dual threat/Pass 1st/Statue
Snaps- Under Center/Shotgun

Pass Catchers
Natural Position- Wideout/Slot/Tight End
Tendency- Physical/Finesse
Pass Catching- Aggressive/Passive

Backs
Natural Position- Halfback/Fullback/H-Back
Tendency- Ball carrier/Blocking/Pass catcher/3rd Down
Contact- Avoids/Initiate

OL
Natural Position- Tackle/Guard/Center
Tendency- Pass Blocker/Run Blocker/Even
Blocking style- Aggressive/Passive

DL
System- 3-4/both/4-3
Natural Position- Tackle/End
Tendency- Pass rusher/Run Stopper/Block Eater

LB
System- 3-4/both/4-3
Natural Position- Sam/Mike/Will
Tendency- Big Hits/Sure Tackler/Force Turnover

DB
Natural Position- Corner/Safety
Ball Hawk- Aggresive/Passive
Contact- Avoids/Initate

Not only can this improve the players on field performance it will greatly improve recruiting. This system can make players more universal like IRL so if a coaches system doesn't use a FB/TE they aren't forced to have any or recruit any.

Clearly it's to late for NCAA 2012, but going forward this needs to be address. The roster/tendency system now is either out dated or none effective. As long as player continue to play away from their strengths this game will never be the experience we need. If this dev team adds a lot more rating specific moves so elite players looks/play differently on the field this game can be elite.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 05-18-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: My solution to tendencies for NCAA.

I think Madden has that too this year. They added Realistic Player Profiles. For example, 3-4 OLB. I think it is ststed in theESPN Gamer BLog

Last edited by illwill10; 05-18-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I think Madden has that too this year. They added Realistic Player Profiles. For example, 3-4 OLB. I think it is ststed in theESPN Gamer BLog
If you could delete the quote that would be great. I was rushing on my way to work and was on my phone. I think what is up now better represent what I'm trying to say.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
If you could delete the quote that would be great. I was rushing on my way to work and was on my phone. I think what is up now better represent what I'm trying to say.
I just did. Like the new list
Old 05-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
while i would like the 3 throw ratings from madden to make it over, i can cut them some slack on that because thats alot of info for high schoolers and alot of junior college players we are talking about.... even though they still get most ratings wrong IMO

but

it would be a great addition
As much as I want the 3 pass ratings like I stated in this thread thats may be just too much for them to input data wise even if the made it completely random and let us edit it.

Just thought about something having QB natural play style could add. There style could affect (more as a hidden rating) the SAC, MAC, and DAC. For example if West Coast is a QB natural style he would be better at short throws which is more a stample of the west coast offense. While an Air Raid style QB may have more deep accuracy as opposed to Spread QB who is stronger at medium accuracy, then ofcourse you can have something like a pro-style QB being good at them all.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

It's great that all reports seem to say QBs will scramble this year. My question is the logic of it. Will the QBs scramble for yards or to buy time to throw the ball.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Since there's so many players in the game EA should just take a formulaic approach to assigning tendencies.

For example: Make a tendency for corners/dbs that is something like "goes for interception." Make a formula that uses catch rating/play recognition/MCV/ZCV as variables to determine how a player rates in this. Also use awareness to help modify, make it so that dbs with poor awareness (to simulate bad corners who gamble too much) and great awareness will go for picks more.

Since you're using 5 different ratings to calculate the guy's tendency every player would be unique (as long as those original 5 ratings varied enough from player to player).

They could set up a few tendencies for each position then just come up with formulas based off the ratings they already have. It'd serve as a good base and then they/we could edit from there if need be.

I'm sure they already to this to some extend with Madden ratings, and I'm guessing that's what Choops basically did assigning tendencies to all those players.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
Since there's so many players in the game EA should just take a formulaic approach to assigning tendencies.

For example: Make a tendency for corners/dbs that is something like "goes for interception." Make a formula that uses catch rating/play recognition/MCV/ZCV as variables to determine how a player rates in this. Also use awareness to help modify, make it so that dbs with poor awareness (to simulate bad corners who gamble too much) and great awareness will go for picks more.

Since you're using 5 different ratings to calculate the guy's tendency every player would be unique (as long as those original 5 ratings varied enough from player to player).

They could set up a few tendencies for each position then just come up with formulas based off the ratings they already have. It'd serve as a good base and then they/we could edit from there if need be.

I'm sure they already to this to some extend with Madden ratings, and I'm guessing that's what Choops basically did assigning tendencies to all those players.
The problem I have with ratings factoring into tendencies is that's not how it really works. If they did that then only the good players would play a certain way while the bad players play another. When in reality there are CB's that may be aggressive but not good so he would make bad breaks on the ball and get beat a lot. On the flip side of that you may have an excellent CB that plays safe and blankets his assignment, but rarely gets picks because he's a passive ballhawk. Skill doesn't eqaul tendencies IRL and shouldn't in the game.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 05-21-2011 at 08:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »