Home

Position Change Awareness

This is a discussion on Position Change Awareness within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Position Change Awareness

So I know there is a massive drop in awareness when you make a position change here is my issue...

When a player switches... there MAY be an initial drop (shouldn't be automatic because some kids can simply pick up another position without a hitch)...

So right away I think whether there is a drop at all shouldn't be automatic...

But the bigger point...

Shouldn't a player get acclimated and have their awareness go UP after a summer (or especially a year i.e. offseason progression) at their new position.

Case in point...

I have a problem at the CB position at Alabama in my dynasty. I have a good FS, but still land the #1 and #2 FS's in the country... but no CB's.

I move the #1 FS to CB. He is a 78 at CB and my highest rated CB now over a 77 and a 76. However, his awareness is 42 vs. 67 and 80. So I am going to play him at Nickel even though he is the "best" overall player.

I know he may gain something nominal like 1 point in the offseason. But I think after a year at the position his awareness should go up 5-40 points depending on "his progression."

Just something I noticed.

BTW I sim a lot of games so AWR is a big deal for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Position Change Awareness

If anything, it should be based on what year the player is and not just a standard drop for switching.

If a player comes in as a freshman at 60 AWR, changing his position shouldn't drop much and him being 60 AWR should tell me he a player who's smart and can adapt quick.

If you have a redshirt junior and you switch his position going into his senior year and he has 90 AWR, I wouldn't be surprised at a hefty initial loss. He's been playing a single position for 4 years and having to make a switch should take him some time. Regardless though, having spring practice and the offseason to practice should help him gain some of the back, as well as after each game.

One thing I hope is addressed at some time, is that AWR should rise throughout the season. College students don't get nearly the practice pro's get, so game experience is vital in their development. I wish EA would make it possible that choosing a less experienced player (either freshman or position changed), but a more physically talented player, could gain AWR after each start. It's not uncommon for players to be thrown into a starting spot, I just hate that they don't play any better until the offseason.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Banned

I agree except I don't think it should depend on what year the player is just because some players are better at adapting than others... the same way some WR's can't play HB and some can in real life. Rod Woodson played CB until late in his career and switched to FS successfully. I think it should depend on the player. Some players can't switch some can. It should vary to me.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

The one change that always got me was switching a RB to a FB ... how can my 6-3, 235 pound HB not be a decent FB? Has similar run and pass block abilities to my current FB but the awareness KILLS it.

Easy switches like that and as another posted from CB to one of the S positions or ROLB to LOLB, ect. There should be minimal drop off there.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Banned

OLB's I don't think there is a drop off which really maybe there should be as in a lot of defenses there are different roles and assignments for different linebackers but it should be minimal

YES HB/FB this has always driven me nuts... There are a lot of HS guys who are great HB's but would even make BETTER FB's in college. I hope the bad FB recruits have been changed in 12.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaajunky12
YES HB/FB this has always driven me nuts... There are a lot of HS guys who are great HB's but would even make BETTER FB's in college. I hope the bad FB recruits have been changed in 12.
Exactly ... if you are going to REQUIRE that every team have a FB at least give options.

If you don't get one of the two 3* players you are stuck with nothing ... so what I usually do is put a guard or TE at the FB spot if I don't have a "Big" HB to stick back there. And I'm a guy who loves to run the ball a lot, I give the FB a lot of love when I have an actual one back there.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Banned

I always recruit an extra TE... then swap one over
Old 05-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaajunky12
I always recruit an extra TE... then swap one over
Bingo. 3rd-string TE is almost always my 3rd FB. And I use this 'specialized' position often with an in-danger-of-losing Pipeline state. Lately seems like I'm always at only 4 or 5 guys from TX, so I'm trolling through recruit list looking for 65 OVR TE (blocking) from TX.

Maybe it's 'cause I don't sim games, but is AWR really that big a deal for those DBs? I recruit CBs for Press/Man first, but play recognition 2nd. FSs (whom I user) must have speed/accel/tackle, and man/zone (instead of press), then PRC. I guess I've been thinking that's going to help more than the overall AWR number. I'll be interested in seeing feedback on this...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »