Home

Reading the defence

This is a discussion on Reading the defence within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2003, 06:28 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 6
Reading the defence

I find it much harder to read the defence in ncaa compared to madden. In madden i can see the blitz and hit the open man but not so much in ncaa. They seem to drop into zones a lot more making finding the open man harder. Anyone else find this or have any tips ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2003, 08:47 AM   #2
N*rd *l*rt!

jt533's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Reading the defence

I find it better if I know what to look for on the pla I have called. Know what your options are if it is man, know what your options are if it is zone and also have a quick release incase of a heavy blitz. Usuall a play with a crossing tightend gives you a nice release incase ntohing else is open. If the safties play deep you want to cross or sit down underneath them, if they come up or have someone in man coverage you want a slant or a deep route. If a linebacker blitzes look for teh tightend or RB on his side for a big gain.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:00 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Which is it better to run against, man or zone?
Old 08-30-2003, 11:33 AM   #4
N*rd *l*rt!

jt533's Arena

OVR: 5

Running really depends on where you are going and who is there. IF you are running up the middle agasint a dime defense or a 3-4 you will have more luck than if you go inside against a 4-3 or 4-4. If you are trying to get outside then it really depends on your running back's speed and your blockers. I thnk zone is a little easier ot run on cuase in man there is a guy assigned to the RB and once the ball is snapped he follows the back. IN a zone everyone backs up a bit and then reacts to teh play so it gives you another 1/2 second to run the play.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:36 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

It is generally easier to run against man, as your receivers can "run" your DB's out of the play. In a zone formation, each player has a "zone" of responsibility, so is looking at the ball, instead of a player.

Most big running plays I have given up, were against tight man coverage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2003, 07:26 AM   #6
Rookie

tlavell's Arena

OVR: 1

When reading the Defense on pass plays I always focus on the FS & SS. After the snap I watch to see if they A) back pedal into a zone, B) roll over to double cover or C) blitz. I they do (A) then I always throw to the back flaring out or to a reciver underneath. If they do (B) I try to find the reciever with single coverage. If the (C) then I try to go over the top deep. Mind you that I always try to run pass plays that give me the option to do any of the three. If I see them crepping up to blitz then its a deep hot route to an outside reciever. You must know all the routes so that you can pick the right reciever to throw to in any of the situations. Dont forget about the pass rush. 3 - 4 sec is all you will normally have.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »