Home

My Final NCAA 2004 House Rules and Stuff Post

This is a discussion on My Final NCAA 2004 House Rules and Stuff Post within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2003, 03:30 PM   #41
Rookie

macatak911's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: My Final NCAA 2004 House Rules and Stuff Post

ugh....ive given up over 400 passing yards in the past 3 games...with lsu...granted one game was against ole miss...but this last game against arkansas...their 1st and 2nd string qbs were out for season! i play pass coverage and they just throw right over the top of me!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2003, 06:44 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 2

Hey IdaCoolGuy, did you try moving the human run block from 5 to 10, this helps considerably.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:13 PM   #43
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Respondendo a:

Bill_Abner said:
Respondendo a:

Cardot said:
Bill,

You put a ton of work into studying and testing these games. It is certainly generous of you and greatly appreciated by many people. But do you ever give yourself a chance to sit down and enjoy the games?

Hah yeah that is a fair question. But really I do all of this in order to write better articles about them so it all works out. But hey I'm almost through year 3 of my OSU Dynasty and I have gotten a ton of fun out of NCAA, tests and all.

Just wondering. I think sliders are the best thing since sliced bread. But I have also noticed myself spending alot more time testing and tweaking before I can sit down and "Play" the game, and I don't even scratch the surface of of your process. Anyways, thanks again for sharing you findings with the OS community, many of us have benefited from your efforts.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:53 AM   #44
MVP

XboxRocks1991's Arena

OVR: 14

MAKE THIS A STICKY!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 12:55 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 5

Dug this up for all the people wanting to know where it was. Nice sliders Bill cant wait to use them. I heard these were great from a friend over at MaddenMania.com forums.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2004, 01:26 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 5

First off Bill Abner THX for all the hard work man. Now saying that i currently just heard about these sidlers for AA i use 9 min qurters so i used them in my dynasty, Two games so far first one was againast a Boverall Air Force team i won 44-17. Next game again a B Overall Auburn team i won 44-31. Now with all this in mind i am a team slighty better then the one u currently use in my offnese is rated a Ohio State's is a solid B+ .Also my total overall is A+. Ohio State's is A. Now also keep in mi8nd i dont use the Heisman house rule either i just have 0 FG ACC for me on AA. Anyways i pass maybe 55 times a game as well as run around 15-20 times per game and i scramble with my QB often only leave the line of scrimmage 3 times per game though. Also understand I do hot route 2 receiver per pass play sometimes just 1 into curl routes or drags which are "money" in this game. In most instances i gan 5-7 yards per play. Now with all this in mind these sliders arent that great but i wann know in ur opinion if i can use them and be successful with them with everything i do beforehand?
Old 09-21-2004, 02:14 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner
First off, my apologies if this should go in the slider thread but I wasn't sure so feel free to lock this if needed.

OK this is it. This is what I am sticking with for the rest of my NCAA 2004 days.

I'll post sliders at the end of the post but the important part is the house rule system I am using. I'm having more fun with NCAA 2004 than ever before because of this and I still feel it blows the current NFL games out of the water. (ESPN not withstanding)

Anyway here's what I'm using:

Pre-Game:

-Before playing a game add a new coach in the coach options page. This new coach should be assigned to the team you are about to play. Takes about 30 secs to do this. Then go into coach strategy and alter the team's offensive playcalling to at least 70% running (I go as high as 80 sometimes unless the team is pass crazy ala Washington. Also, and this seems to be important, move the Conservative playcalling slider as far left as possible. Now, this does not make the team never throw deep it just makes most teams look underneath first before throwing it 30 yards downfield. As a result, CPU completion % is better and the game has a much better flow to it. You can also play with the defensive settings too; I usually make the CPU teams play run D more often than not. Also make sure to use the correct team playbook for your new coach. After you play the game make sure to delete this coach so you can make a new one for the next game. All of this takes less than a minute to do.

-Make sure the team you are playing (your Dynasty team) has its coach defensive slider at 80% pass. No idea if this helps the CPU run game, but it doesn't hurt to do this just in case.

Before Kickoff:

I'll add sliders later but play on AA. Seriously. As much as I think Heisman is better this year, you can certainly get great games on this level and in some respects get a much more exciting game than you can on Heisman.

Before kickoff, change the controller settings and take control of the CPU team *if* they have their starting HB as a kickoff and punt returner which seem to happen a lot. All this does is tire the starting CPU HB. Change this to another player and then set the controller back to your team.

Game Time:

Here are the rules I use during play and it makes AA a very playble and enjoyable lvl.

-No speed rushing (sprtinting) with defensive ends or outside linebackers. If you have a fast DE you can still get great pressure off the corner without sprinting, but speed bursting just makes it too easy to get a sack. You CAN sprint if rushing or blizting between the tackles, though. You may use all the swim moves and rip moves you want. I still get sacks doing this but rarely do I get the 8+ sacks per game I get when sprinting.

-No using motion on running plays. It's too easy to use motion to secure a great running scheme in this game. You'll still get good blocking but you just cannot take advantage of a game quirk if you don't use motion. You can use all the hot routes and audibles and motion you want on passing plays.

-Do not switch players on defense EXCEPT during pass plays. I still take control of a DB from time to time but to help the CPU run game, don't switch like crazy to the nearest guy and dive to stop the HB. Stick with the guy you started with and it helps a lot.

-Before you kick a FG (not the CPU, just you)--set the game level to Heisman. If you miss a FG on All American you suck. Just make sure to set it back to AA after the kick.

-Punt returns. Another issue with the game is the ease of which you can return kicks. Therefore I fair catch the ball every other punt return. Sucks that I have to do this but I like it better than returning every kick 20 yards.

-Play on 11 min quarters. This has been proven to help the CPU playcalling as well as it doesn't feel rushed. Work the clock and try not to snap the ball until 5-7 secs are left and you'll get a very accurate number of plays. (130-150 total)

-In using this system I am in year 3 of my OSY Dynasty and we're 3 games into the season and OSU is 2-1 after beating North Texas 45-41 in a thriller (they scored off 4 OSU turnovers). We then whipped #1 Oklahoma 34-17 and lost a heartbreaker to #9 Arkansas 29-24. The Ark game was the best NCAA 2004 game I have ever played against the CPU. They scored on a 98 yard pass and OSU answered with a 93 yd kickoff return to make it 29-24 with 2 mins to play. I shut down Ark on 3 plays and got the ball back but failed to score from the Ark 35. What a game. Arkansas also ran for 145 yards which was nice.

-Recruiting:

Use OSUMike's recruiting rules. See the sticky above. Makes the off season stuff so much more enjoyable from a realism POV.

Sliders:

AA

OFF (HUM/CPU)
QB Acc - 10/18
Pass BLK- 5/17
WR CAT- 13/13
Run ABL- 10/20
Run BLK- 5/20

DEF (HUM/CPU)
AWR- 5/18
KNOCK- 8/18
INT- 5/10
Break BLK- 5/18
TAK- 5/15

Special Teams:

MAX Human FG accuracy (remember this will be on Heisman)

MIN CPU FG Accuracy

Penalty Sliders:

False Start: Max right
Holding: +7 from left
Face Mask: +4
OFF PI: Max right
DEF PI: Max right

The rest are in the middle.

You WILL see more holding calls but this has given me a very good and fair # of penalties.

Anyway that's all for now. Hope they help.

bill
I took back ncaa 2005 because it is a piece of ****. I re-purchased ncaa 2004 for the xbox again and found this post by the great bill abner and decided to give it a try. So every week I create a coach every week and do everything that bill suggested. And son of a bitch if it didnt work. The computer runs extremely effectively on any setting. So if people still have 2004 this is the solution to 2004 problems.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #48
Rookie

Quack1's Arena

OVR: 2

This plan totally works!!!!!

I've been following Bill's rules here for the past 4 games in my Oregon Dynasty, I'm in my third year and I had to bump up to Heisman level and was not really enjoying it that much. After my fifth game I thought I'd have to go back to AA. Well, Thank you Bill. Im the four games since I have had 1 blowout (which it should have been) and three very close wins. All three close games scored a "greatest game" score. I won one with a TD in the final minute to win by four and last night's game was the best. Playing Arizona at home, I fell behind 14-0 then 21-7 before closing the first half with a flurry and leading 24-21. UA stuffed me on my first possesion/2nd half and scored easily, 28-24. We trade punts (I switch to heisman for all kicks so I shank quite a few). UA scores another TD to go up 35-24 with about 6 mins left. I cut it to 35-32 with a nice TD drive (going no huddle) and a 2-point conv. My D gets a 3 and out and I tie with a long FG with about 3:30 left. I shank the KO OB and then give up a first down but then my D forces a punt from midfield. I start from my 20 with about 2:15 to play thinking I'm in great shape, 3 TOs and all I need is to get into FG range (which is about the 20 for my weak kicker and the "kicking on Heisman" rule). Second play of my possesion I throw a pick, returned to my 35. Crap, I go from being in control to win it to hoping I can get a 3 and out right here. UA moves down the field, I use one of my three TOs, make two fantastic stops on 2nd and 2 and 3rd and 2 from my 6 yard line forcing a FG with about 1:15 left. I get a nice KO return to about my 40 and I've got a shot with a little over a minute and 2 TOs. First play is a nice PA pass down to UA 25, I go no huddle, same play, just get the pass away before getting drilled, hit the same WR at about the 8. I'm thinking, "OH YEAH!!!....OH NOOOOO!!!!!" As he spins toward to goal line, he's stripped of the ball. It's just laying there on the turf, my WR can't get up, the CB is laying on top of him. I furiously click buttons.....a D-lineman recovers for UA at the 5. I figure I'm done. They run one up the middle for about 8 to the 16, I call TO. 2nd down, I call for "punt return, all out block" and bring up my return man. My crowd is going crazy!!!!! The screen is shaking like it's having a siezure. The QB misses the hand-off!! The RB went the wrong way!! QB get drilled by my D-lineman, THE BALL IS LOOSE!!!!. I scoope it up with a D-lineman and make it back to the 5 yardline. OK....OK...calm down, I've got 1st and goal at the 5, 1 TO and 40 seconds left. 1st down I run option right out of the shotgun and get knocked out at the 1. 2nd down I run the same play but get run out back at the 3. 3rd down I figure I'll try to power up the middle and I've got my 1 TO left if I get stopped. I do get stopped just inside the 1, and I see I still have about 25 second left. I don't need the TO. I make the decision to forego the FG and try to win it right here. I line up in goalline and power in from the 1 with about 15 seconds left on the clock. It was probably the most thrilling game I've ever played in any college FB game ever.

You should all try Bill's "house rules". It may take a little time to do it, but it's well worth it. My only prolem is I keep forgetting to switch from Heisman back to AA after kicking and it bites me sometimes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »