Home

Teach me how to play D.

This is a discussion on Teach me how to play D. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Teach me how to play D.

My apologies for not highlighting perhaps the most important aspect of playing successful D...

DO NOT "B" BUTTON YOUR WAY THROUGH THE PLAY!

Don't chase the ball. I know it sounds foolish to say, but constantly pressing the B button (360) to select the defender closest to the ballcarrier is the best way to allow big plays. Let me explain...

When you, the user, press the B button to change to the defender closest to the ball, you automatically cancel whatever move that AI controlled player was in the middle of performing, and replace it with your controller's current state. Let's say you were a LB on a pass rush and your left stick was down, to the left. Now, when pressing the B button, that defender, say left corner covering a receiver, suddenly stops his momentum and move and replaces it with your left stick down, to the left input. That corner might have had great position to make a tackle, swat the ball down, or pick off the pass. But in your haste, he suddenly jumps the route and runs under the receiver's route away from the play. Nice!

It's doubly bad news because that player's ratings come into play as well. See, his defending skills were at play for the first few moments of the play, but you took him over and replaced his AWR rating with yours. In the blink of an eye, you're attempting to make that player a lot smarter than he was before. But, unlike the AI control, applying his ratings for that play, you wiped them out in favor of making a crushing hit or interception attempt. Unless you're capable of slowing time on every play, and have Bruce Lee speed, you're likely to cause more problems than it's worth to just leave the guy alone.

The real key is to learn to play D using player lock OR just selecting a player pre-snap, stick with him through thick and thin, and when you see an opportunity to make a big hit, force a fumble, etc, take it. But only with that guy. You'll get your chances. Be patient, drop into your zone, man, or rush assignment as drawn, and figure things out.

Then, when you start to get the hang of things, get creative. Rather than blitzing from your OLB position, show blitz, back off into a flat zone, and wait for the swing pass of receiver screen, and blow the guy up. There's nothing more satisfying than reading a play and making the tackle in the backfield. But that joy comes with discipline and the trust for your AI controlled teammates to get things done behind you.

And that's why I choose to play closer to the LOS. Playing safety is risky because one false step can cost your team 6, whereas you're mistakes up front aren't usually as costly, but do result in better big play tackle opportunities.

Lastly, remember that button mashing can be exciting, but the play results are wildly different depending on the play type. On jump balls or deep sideline routes, it might be tempting to hit B to be the safety and run over to intercept a pass, but that takes skill and should be practiced first. Like I said in my earlier post, defense is more a reaction game than strategic, so don't think you can outsmart your opponent. Simply focus on your key area, be responsible for it, and make big plays when you see them.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

I agree, goalie, with sticking with one player. In fact that is a requirement in my OD for all participants on defense. Although in our case its more to keep things more challenging. The only time the B button is allowed is when the ball is in the air (so yes you can switch to a CB to swat a long ball down or make a pick) but just switching willy nilly around the field can be too powerful in the hands of a good player, and disaster in the hands of someone who isn't.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
Banned

JSHT21's Arena

OVR: 3

I've been playing all day and night with Oregon, using there 3-3-5. When should I use strong and such.

I've been choosing one of the LBs depending what they are doing on the play, I can't keep up with man coverage, but guess I need to practice. I'm trying my best not to switch except for a deep ball to try and knock it down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #12
Banned

JSHT21's Arena

OVR: 3

I've been playing all day and I've gotten better at playing only as the MLB, I tend to switch once when the ball is in the air.

so what situations should i use a 3-3-5, 4-3, 3-4 etc...

I've been using 3-3-5 exclusively.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 9

i prefer controlling a cb its fun and hard. if i not controlling a cb its a safety. which ever safety is the weakest.

only thing bout playing cb is that your limited in view and if the play is on the other side you can't really make plays on it.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 9

pick formation according to offense formation. if you got a stud DT you can run 1-5-5.

my personally i love man coverage if i'm not playing man coverage i'm blizting either man or zone.

i blitz at least 50 percent of plays. i come from all over with my blitzes.

if i got a speed rusher i move my line more to his side so where when he coming off the edge he have more room to work with.

most college playbooks have all formations so pick your plays according to personnel.

also don't be afraid of rotating personnel especially on dline. to keep them fresh. so where when fourth quarter come in your main squad fatigue isn't a lime color
Old 06-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #15
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

I'll help where I can.

Obviously things vary based on the defense your running as to what assignments a player has.

Being basic,

Your defensive line (DT/DE) are going to be the start of everything, watch where the offense makes holes, if they are pushing you to the left, they are running to the right, if they are pushing you to the right they are running left and if the line as a whole is pushing different directions than it's usually an inside run.

Linebackers main priority is hitting the gaps, unless their coverage is a wide receiver a linebacker will be expected to be in the gaps, (1 or 3 gap typically) with outside linebackers crashing in on a contain, outside linebackers want to stop everything to the outside, inside will cover a hole that opens up.

Cornerbacks jobs are very basic, follow the receiver. If he's sprinting downfield you better be close. If he's blocking you watch the QB/HB to see where the ball is going.

Safeties are the less defined role. They fit in as both linebackers and cornerbacks, if they are in coverage they need to be on their man like a CB. If they are in zone it's usually a flat or a deep zone and will either be the first or last line of defense, if they are a deep zone, if anyone gets past the safety it's considered a failure.

Blitzing

Blitzing can work in any situation as implementing is the biggest factor here.

When to blitz LB

If they are rushing a lot you will need to start blitzing linebackers, inside linebackers if your line is giving up inside runs, and outside linebackers if your DE's aren't sealing off the edge and containing properly.

If passing a lot on you, I tend to keep the ILB (MLB in 4-3) at home on a zone to help on the short slants and crosses. Blitzing the outside linebackers forces QB's to stay in the pocket and helps your DE's be able to collapse in and break the play up in the backfield.

I barely ever use OLB's in zones unless your CB's are really having issues on short passes on the sidelines.

When to blitz CB

Blitzing the CB is only good if the tackle is not agile or fast and the CB can hit the QB before the Tackle starts stepping back in the pocket. If the opposing team is abusing the option, as it gives you a fast player that can cut quickly and needs to adjust after for the pitch. It's not really effective otherwise, CB's are small and HB's can get around them somewhat easily so blitzing them for outside runs is less effective then blitzing OLB's.

When to blitz the S

If the offense is playing a short passing game feel free to blitz the S. Too many bodies on the field can be as bad in coverage as too few. If they are playing short and you have enough CB's to cover the WR's, than feel free to blitz the safety. Inside or outside Safeties are effective blitzers and I generally use them as I said when the offense is not stretching the field vertically.

Defense is all about reactions, you have to react to the offense, watch the ball not the player. Square up as best as you can when you tackle and unless you have momentum and speed don't use the hitstick, they seem to have made it so it's harder to trigger and a lot more misses.

Swat the ball more than going for picks, only go for the pick if you can

1) fully square up to the pass
2) keep running forward (overthrown passes)
3) Jumping the route (keep 1 in mind if thrown short)

Also on slants make sure to remember to shade. If they cut inside, I tend to shade their inside shoulder by staying slightly underneath them, where as if they cut outside you want to be on their outside shoulder, be careful for the rare plays where they double cut because that can burn you bad.

Swim moves are best for getting around and bull rush is to get through, DT and ILB's best moves are usually bull rush moves, swim are for agile and outside rushers weaker players use these.

Last edited by K0ZZ; 06-30-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
Pro

GiantYankee's Arena

OVR: 8

What a fantastic thread! The only thing that I can add is that I love using player lock on D. Primarily DE but I love playing corner occasionally.
Michigan Wolverines (11 National Championships)
New York Rangers (4 Stanley Cups)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »