Home

What makes NCAA fun isn't the gameplay (for me)

This is a discussion on What makes NCAA fun isn't the gameplay (for me) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #25
Rookie

kevj349's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: What makes NCAA fun isn't the gameplay (for me)

The DBs are still redic, comebacks are still way too risky, but I haven't been having problems with the LB's in this demo. Just use the passing lanes that you are given.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #26
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevj349
The DBs are still redic, comebacks are still way too risky, but I haven't been having problems with the LB's in this demo. Just use the passing lanes that you are given.
See, I don't have issues with hook routes, etc. You can't throw those routes late, and you need to see which side the CB is shading and throw away from that side.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
Rookie

kevj349's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
See, I don't have issues with hook routes, etc. You can't throw those routes late, and you need to see which side the CB is shading and throw away from that side.
Well 5 yard hooks are money, beyond that the DB jumps it far too much.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #28
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

i always find that after playing the previous years version for roughly 8-9 mos. that when the new demo comes out, and then on release day the game appears/feels so much different that you get the feeling that the game went in the wrong direction.

then after a couple games of trying to get used to it, when you pop the old version in for a side by side comparison, the old game nearly instantly feels outdated and like old technology.

generally its not till then that i realize what a true beauty the new release day has bought.

always some getting used to the new game.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #29
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
LOL, yes we know. But do any of the "features" as opposed to just the "gameplay" interest you?
I'm all about gameplay, but EA still had a chance to get me to buy it again this year if they had implemented a "proper" coaching carousel.

If they had made a staff of 6-8 coaches (a head coach, two coordinators, maybe a special teams coach or a few position coaches), given us the ability to hire/fire our own staff once we were a head coach, and given coaches additional ratings (offensive knowledge, defensive knowledge, teaching ability, prestige, recruiting ability, etc.) I might have gone ahead and purchased it ... maybe.

But as is, only two coordinators, two ratings, and no ability to build your own staff? That's about as bare-bones as you could make this mode. Imagine as a head coach losing your offensive coordinator, what do you do? Do you promote one of your assistants who is less experienced but will keep your same playbook? Or, do you go get a more experienced, higher-rated coordinator but who's going to bring in a new playbook? Maybe have your players' awareness take a hit on that side of the ball because it's their first year in the offense? Also, do you get the QB coach who's a great teacher and can help your guys develop, or do you get the guy who's a great recruiter to help bring in better talent? That sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Last edited by Pokes404; 06-29-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #30
MattUMD224

OVR:

i want the ability to have full customization in my dynasty. I wasn't going to get Madden until they put this in the game. I can now make the game playable for myself but editing players ratings and what not.

Customization will allow us to get things level and worthwhile.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #31
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5

I definitely agree with the OP on things. The other stuff is what gets me to buy the game. I know what to expect with the gameplay. I haven't even played the demo yet, but I don't expect it or even the retail game to blow me out of the water as far as gameplay is concerned. The reason I am buying the game this year is the coaching carousel and custom playbooks. They are THE only reasons I am buying it. Next year, if they don't beef up the carousel and really preferably change recruiting, there won't be a need for me to buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I'm all about gameplay, but EA still had a chance to get me to buy it again this year if they had implemented a "proper" coaching carousel.

If they had made a staff of 6-8 coaches (a head coach, two coordinators, maybe a special teams coach or a few position coaches), given us the ability to hire/fire our own staff once we were a head coach, and given coaches additional ratings (offensive knowledge, defensive knowledge, teaching ability, prestige, recruiting ability, etc.) I might have gone ahead and purchased it ... maybe.

But as is, only two coordinators, two ratings, and no ability to build your own staff? That's about as bare-bones as you could make this mode. Imagine as a head coach losing your offensive coordinator, what do you do? Do you promote one of your assistants who is less experienced but will keep your same playbook? Or, do you go get a more experienced, higher-rated coordinator but who's going to bring in a new playbook? Maybe have your players' awareness take a hit on that side of the ball because it's their first year in the offense? Also, do you get the QB coach who's a great teacher and can help your guys develop, or do you get the guy who's a great recruiter to help bring in better talent? That sounds like a lot of fun to me.
And I definitely agree with Pokes regarding the carousel. It is incredibly bare bones. I don't really think the fact that it is the first year is an excuse (insert comment about how it should have been in the game 5+ years ago). Next year, it really needs to have coach ratings and the ability to hire and fire your assistants. Heck I don't care about position coaches, maybe just OC, DC, ST. If you lose one, there is a pool of candidates. That's good enough for me.

Either way it goes, I'm looking forward to the game and I will enjoy it and play it until 13 comes out just like I have with every other NCAA game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #32
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

I've enjoyed the recruiting in NCAA Football over the years as much as any feature in a sports video game. In fact as I think about it I don't think there is a feature I like more.

Going after guys, building a program, the satisfaction a nabbing a big time recruit... It almost works as a game on it's own. Due to the play action not working right in NCAA 11 I actually played more off field stuff than on, and still was able to get some mileage out of that game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »