Home

So is Play Action fixed or what??

This is a discussion on So is Play Action fixed or what?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Play Action Fixed in the demo or is it still an instant sack?
Yes. It's fixed! 40 64.52%
No. Still not where it needs to be - results in a sack the majority of the time. 22 35.48%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: So is Play Action fixed or what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
Odogg...are you serious man?

It doesn't matter how the defense reacts to it when 9 out of 10 PA passes against the CPU result in sacks. THAT IS BROKEN.

There is a reason why I so rarely see PA passes in online games either, it is TOO RISKY, it shouldn't be so risky to run a simple PA play. If they DBs dont bite, they dont bite, but I shouldn't be getting sacked every single freaking time.

You guys are wrong. Fact
I think you should re-read what I said..I did agree that the animation lasted a bit too long. That part did need tweaked. That is why it there were too many sacks. But the play action itself, in how the defense reacted to it, biting on it being a run or not, was never broken. In fact, for the first time in the history of EA football I think it was finally correct.

Overall this actually leads to a larger issue in itself. The defenders in EA's football games play the QB and RB on a run play exactly the same, with overall too great of awareness. And by that I mean if you call a blitz then the defenders all get into the backfield and will sack the QB just as well on a pass play as they would as if it was a rushing play. You never see defenders get into the backfield on a blitz and go after the RB by mistake, or if you do it's very, very rare.

This is why EA's games tend to lend themselves to blitz, blitz, blitz games because there is no real punishment for blitzing. In real football there is a rush blitz and a pass blitz. In the rush blitz the defenders are expecting a tailback to get the ball and they act accordingly. In the pass blitz the defenders are actively seeking out the QB to sack him.

Here's the bottom line: In a real game if you called a blitz and it was a run, the tailback may get stuffed but often times it's a HUGE run because once the tailback clears the first wave there is no one to stop him forever and a day because the linebacker(s) are already past him. But in EA's football games if you call a blitz and it was a run the tailback is stuff 95% of the time. So why not blitz every down??? Because if it's a pass you got a good shot of sacking the QB and if it's a run you got an even better chance of stuffing the tailback.

The bottom line is EA needs to rework the defenders logic and differentiate between run blitzes and pass blitzes. Until that is fixed play action will always be fodder for sacks because even if they shorten the animation if you just so happen to call it when the defense has called a blitz, they will not bite on the play action often enough and will head straight to your QB, resulting in a sack.

So is play action broken? Not in the way many people think it is, but it most certainly is part of a larger problem in how EA codes its game overall in regards to the blitzing aspect of the game.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #58
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

The reason PA was broken in 11 was because 8 out of 10 times it resulted in a sack. I don't even know how the DB's reacted to it because I stopped calling it about a week after getting the game.

Anyway in the demo it seems like that was fixed.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #59
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount53
The reason PA was broken in 11 was because 8 out of 10 times it resulted in a sack. I don't even know how the DB's reacted to it because I stopped calling it about a week after getting the game.

Anyway in the demo it seems like that was fixed.
hold on we just heard it was 9 out of 10...so which is it? anyone want to raise the bar and go 10 out of 10?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #60
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan
hold on we just heard it was 9 out of 10...so which is it? anyone want to raise the bar and go 10 out of 10?
Either way it was much higher than it should be. As soon as I tried a PA play and before the passing icons came up a DE or LB would be sprinting at me.

Anyway it appears fixed now so its all good.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #61
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
The issue we have with the '11 play action is not how DBs reacted but how the DLine and OLine reacted. The OLine basically became incompetent, combined with a slow PA animation made it pretty much useless.

Yes It DID get better when set up, but it's not real football to have to run I Form Iso 4 times for 20 yards just to have one I Form PA Scissors work with normal blocking.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »