Home

I am a high school football coach

This is a discussion on I am a high school football coach within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #73
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: I am a high school football coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
A lot of teams have had a ton of success running a few simple plays..Albeit with different formations and personnel grouping but the same base bread and butter plays. Look at the Dallas Cowboys winning SB's in the Jimmie Johnson era. They had 4 basic run plays for the most part and then a passing game plan for each week. Look at the run and shoot. There's about 10 total plays that true R&S teams use.

I am a firm believer at the HS level or any level for that matter of having a small grouping of plays and simply 'outformationing' you're opponent.
Personnel groups that get the best players on the field are important. Be it the fastest player or whatever. As far as outformationing people...it works and it does not.

Wait. That does not sound right. Hmmm. Example A: Wisconsin. I Form. Run at you. Rinse. Repeat until TD. Example B: LSU. Come out in formation that the opponent has not seen you in. Try a few plays.Gain a few yards. Give up on it and never go back. Trick play=TD Example C: Oregon: 6 plays...800 formations. Massive amounts of points b/c you never stop moving.

Honestly, it all comes down to scheme and the quality of your players. Good players can excel in any scheme, with good coaching and hard work.

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #74
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaticus
Personnel groups that get the best players on the field are important. Be it the fastest player or whatever. As far as outformationing people...it works and it does not.

Wait. That does not sound right. Hmmm. Example A: Wisconsin. I Form. Run at you. Rinse. Repeat until TD. Example B: LSU. Come out in formation that the opponent has not seen you in. Try a few plays.Gain a few yards. Give up on it and never go back. Trick play=TD Example C: Oregon: 6 plays...800 formations. Massive amounts of points b/c you never stop moving.

Honestly, it all comes down to scheme and the quality of your players. Good players can excel in any scheme, with good coaching and hard work.
Wisconsin gets by, by being physically superior upfront than their opponent.. Which also sets up their play action game.

Oregon wins with speed, tempo and being better conditioned than everyone.

I've seen literally hundreds of HS teams win with lesser talent because they execute those 8 plays better than their opponent can defend it.

Last edited by bkrich83; 07-06-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 AM   #75
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Wisconsin gets by, by being physically superior upfront than their opponent.. Which also sets up their play action game.

Oregon wins with speed, tempo and being better conditioned than everyone.

I've seen literally hundreds of HS teams win with lesser talent because they execute those 8 plays better than their opponent can defend it.
True. But what happens when the more talented team is coached just enough? The margin for error on lower tier teams is so small.

Ive seen the underdogs win too. And watched them get beat so bad that they tapped out. If the other guy has queens, rooks, and bishops and all you have are pawns...well, you get the picture.

The great schools that are well coached, especially in HS, win much more often that the well coached, less talented teams.

Oregon wins due to scheme. All three things you said are part of that. Wisconsin beats you to death. Then throws over you. Scheme.

Anyway, more often than not execution and discipline win. On that we can both agree on. Even if we headed wayyy off topic.

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2011, 03:40 AM   #76
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18

Its funny how many people say "that won't work" or "this is better" etc. Most things in life came from ideas that many people thought were bad ideas or that were impossible. Who thought extreme sports were a good idea before anyone knew of X games? Now some of those athletes make millions of dollars. Nobody thought the Wright brothers could fly a plane but look at that industry now. People like Amelia Earhart, Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison, and so on all overcame what people "thought" to accomplish extraordinary things.

Coach, be a pioneer and push the envelope. Nobody remembers the guys who play it safe. The people that make a difference and earn the accolades are the ones that push the envelope try and what's never been done.

Good luck!

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95
Its funny how many people say "that won't work" or "this is better" etc. Most things in life came from ideas that many people thought were bad ideas or that were impossible. Who thought extreme sports were a good idea before anyone knew of X games? Now some of those athletes make millions of dollars. Nobody thought the Wright brothers could fly a plane but look at that industry now. People like Amelia Earhart, Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison, and so on all overcame what people "thought" to accomplish extraordinary things.

Coach, be a pioneer and push the envelope. Nobody remembers the guys who play it safe. The people that make a difference and earn the accolades are the ones that push the envelope try and what's never been done.

Good luck!
Thank you! After reading some postings in this thread I am a little offended. Some act as if I am just using NCAA to teach my players. That is as far from the truth as it can be. I have talked with several head coaches in this state. I have attended coaching clinics put on by Nick Saban. That is where the idea of my defense is coming from. When you hear probably the best defensive coach in college football and one of the best NFL defensive coaches (Rex Ryan) say what they would do if they were a HS coach, you listen. The NCAA idea actually came from Rush Propst. I don't know how many of you know him, but he is arguably the best HS football coach in the country.

I am not using NCAA to teach offensive lineman. I am not using it to teach technique to any player. I am using it to teach a playbook. To teach routes. To teach my QB how to read zone vs man. This is not something new here. Penn State does it. LSU does it. Several programs do it. I want them excited with our program.

To the person who said I should start a feeder program. I am trying. Breaking old habits is hard, and I am going to have to prove myself as a head coach before I can get anyone on board with my plans.

Thanks for all the advice
Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #78
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
A lot of teams have had a ton of success running a few simple plays..Albeit with different formations and personnel grouping but the same base bread and butter plays. Look at the Dallas Cowboys winning SB's in the Jimmie Johnson era. They had 4 basic run plays for the most part and then a passing game plan for each week. Look at the run and shoot. There's about 10 total plays that true R&S teams use.

I am a firm believer at the HS level or any level for that matter of having a small grouping of plays and simply 'outformationing' you're opponent.
Auburn is that way, 8 base run plays, multiple formations.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #79
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Kirby
Thank you! After reading some postings in this thread I am a little offended. Some act as if I am just using NCAA to teach my players. That is as far from the truth as it can be. I have talked with several head coaches in this state. I have attended coaching clinics put on by Nick Saban. That is where the idea of my defense is coming from. When you hear probably the best defensive coach in college football and one of the best NFL defensive coaches (Rex Ryan) say what they would do if they were a HS coach, you listen. The NCAA idea actually came from Rush Propst. I don't know how many of you know him, but he is arguably the best HS football coach in the country.

I am not using NCAA to teach offensive lineman. I am not using it to teach technique to any player. I am using it to teach a playbook. To teach routes. To teach my QB how to read zone vs man. This is not something new here. Penn State does it. LSU does it. Several programs do it. I want them excited with our program.

To the person who said I should start a feeder program. I am trying. Breaking old habits is hard, and I am going to have to prove myself as a head coach before I can get anyone on board with my plans.

Thanks for all the advice
Keep us up to date Coach! I may run a RTG based on your team, good luck!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts238shaun
Auburn is that way, 8 base run plays, multiple formations.
Gus Malzahan is an amazing offensive mind. Truly one of the best out there. It was easy for him last since he had the best college football player of the last 50 years, though, but he will do great things this year with lesser talent.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »