Home

NCAA Midnight Release Stories

This is a discussion on NCAA Midnight Release Stories within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #81
Pro

Cj7298419's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: NCAA Midnight Release Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky
I have to agree. It seems like there is less energy at my local shop this year. I remember specifically the pandemonium at my local shop for the release of NCAA '07 (for whatever reason). There was a line down the street at midnight. I feel like there was a lot less stock for that release specifically. Tonight I called to ask if their stock tonight were all spoken for by pre-orders and was told there are "literally dozens" of each platform not pre-ordered, so to come on down.

Then there was only 10 or so people in line for the doors to open.
Agreed. I remember during the '04-'07 years, my local Gamestop had 50-60 guys in line. Food was provided, they would have LSU and Tulane students there signing autographs.

I went to that same GS last night and it just wasn't the same. I guess partly b/c they do the whole preorder thing alot smoother than they used to. From 10:30 - 11:30pm, they check off all receipts of those who have already paid in full. So that by midnight they just give everyone their game and by 12:20ish everyone is outta there.

But still, alot less people and enthusiasm. I would estimate about 25ppl. I was talking to the weird GS employee (why do most GS employees seem like weird nerds who lost their virginity at 32?) and he was telling me how online ordering and bigger stores like Wal-Mart and BB also doing midnight releases has really cut into their clientele.

In any case, I was home by 12:15am and played a 3OT game against a guy using Oregon (I was LSU). It was honestly one of the most enjoyable football games I've ever played.

Last edited by Cj7298419; 07-12-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #82
Banned

Kid FSU's Arena

OVR: 1

Walked into Wal-Mart at 12:00. Got the game at 12:10. Mom thought it was the perfect time to shop. The End
Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #83
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildeCane
Its a car not a boewing 757...
Erm, Boeing*

Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #84
Pro

Cj7298419's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Uneventful, but surprising. I didn't even preorder the game, arrived at the Harvey, Louisiana Gamestop at 12:02 AM, and was the only customer in the store.
Wow, really?! I live in the Lower Garden District area of New Orleans. Imma have to go to that Gamestop from now on. That one is actually closer to me than the Babbages in Lakeside.

Last edited by Cj7298419; 07-12-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #85
Pro

Cj7298419's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie525
I cant drive yet but i just drove my moms car to gamestop anyways and got it, pretty nervous the whole time.
I remember doing something similar to this for NCAA '04 I believe. During that time I was around 19yrs old and my dad would take my car to work since he would be mad that I wasn't looking for a summer gig. So when the game released that morning the only way I could pick up the game at my local Toys R Us was to take his '02 Acura TL (30k car) that was sitting in the garage. Needless to say I was very nervous but I made sure I had my seat belt on and followed every damn rule of the road there is lol. I was stopping 4 and 5 seconds at the stop signs, made sure not to run a red/yellow light, put my turn signals on, etc.

Looking back, its one of those things I can sit and laugh at cause I think we can all agree '04 was worth the trip. It's funny how the NCAA game has given all of us some good memories over the years

Last edited by Cj7298419; 07-12-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #86
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
I saw a perfect example of two dudes you completely avoid playing against on or offline. Gamestop had the 360 version setup on big screen...and these two dudes are playing UF-FSU. They went for it on every 4th down and onside kicked numerous times in the 1st half. Other than that it was rather uneventful for me.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #87
MVP

kt-od's Arena

OVR: 24

Well, in the GS I went to, there were two dudes arguing over who was better in the NFL, Crabtree or Vince Young. I was laughing the whole time (and joining in to spur on the argument). I was mainly laughing because they were comparing who is the best when they play two different positions. It was quite comical.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #88
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj7298419
Agreed. I remember during the '04-'07 years, my local Gamestop had 50-60 guys in line. Food was provided, they would have LSU and Tulane students there signing autographs.

I went to that same GS last night and it just wasn't the same. I guess partly b/c they do the whole preorder thing alot smoother than they used to. From 10:30 - 11:30pm, they check off all receipts of those who have already paid in full. So that by midnight they just give everyone their game and by 12:20ish everyone is outta there.

But still, alot less people and enthusiasm. I would estimate about 25ppl. I was talking to the weird GS employee (why do most GS employees seem like weird nerds who lost their virginity at 32?) and he was telling me how online ordering and bigger stores like Wal-Mart and BB also doing midnight releases has really cut into their clientele.

In any case, I was home by 12:15am and played a 3OT game against a guy using Oregon (I was LSU). It was honestly one of the most enjoyable football games I've ever played.
So you got autographs of some kids that went to Tulane and LSU that you've never heard of hahaha?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »