Home

SPARQ has takin he fun out of recruiing

This is a discussion on SPARQ has takin he fun out of recruiing within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: SPARQ has takin he fun out of recruiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast21Forever
I think only skill position players really warrant 5 stars. OL, DE, DTs, they're not the game changers that WRs, CBs, and HBs are. I didn't like it at first and thought it was a mistake, but it's not. It's realistic. Even the best lineman aren't 5 star recruits.
That's quite false. You're confusing lazy media types and their obsession with easily followed skill players with who determines ball games.

CBs are an elite commodity, but HBs are a dime a dozen. WRs are a mixed bag, but with college offenses you do not need Julio Jones to have big success through the air.

Big time schools often have many big time running backs in a short time span. Conversely, it is very rare to see another Suh or Sapp come through the program, even with as much talent as those programs pump out.

The trenches determine football games. OL are hard to project, but dominant DL are often pegged pretty well in HS.

The SEC isn't dominant because it has a different breed of RBs, WRs or QBs. All conferences have those. They have far more impact DL, particularly interior. Someone said it best in a recent parody blog (outkickthecoverage?), the SEC isn't faster than everyone. Their fat guys are faster than everyone else's fat guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
I think only skill position players really warrant 5 stars. OL, DE, DTs, they're not the game changers that WRs, CBs, and HBs are. I didn't like it at first and thought it was a mistake, but it's not. It's realistic. Even the best lineman aren't 5 star recruits.
What?

Ndamukong Suh disagrees.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY3_kutsTjE
Old 07-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #43
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
What?

Ndamukong Suh disagrees.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY3_kutsTjE
haha - he's one of few exceptions. skill players warrant 5 stars in my opinion. that's the bottom line for me.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #44
MVP

Yea, players like Suh tend to be few and far between. But you can't say he's not a 5-star player.

I can possibly see the argument for OL not getting 5-stars, unless they happen to have some catching ability and could possibly play TE (even if it's not a 5-star TE, if it's the best OL out there who can also fill in as TE? That warrants a 5-star for sure).

But DE and DT are absolutely game-changers.

Suh is just the absolute best example. Honestly, he's probably a 6-star guy... but especially when it comes to DE (yes, I know Suh was DT), there are definitely guys coming in every year that warrant 5 stars at this position. To be that size, and have the strength to beat an OL plus the speed to run down a quarterback?

I think DE is probably a more important position and harder position to play than LB...
Old 07-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #45
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullsession
That's quite false. You're confusing lazy media types and their obsession with easily followed skill players with who determines ball games.

CBs are an elite commodity, but HBs are a dime a dozen. WRs are a mixed bag, but with college offenses you do not need Julio Jones to have big success through the air.

Big time schools often have many big time running backs in a short time span. Conversely, it is very rare to see another Suh or Sapp come through the program, even with as much talent as those programs pump out.

The trenches determine football games. OL are hard to project, but dominant DL are often pegged pretty well in HS.

The SEC isn't dominant because it has a different breed of RBs, WRs or QBs. All conferences have those. They have far more impact DL, particularly interior. Someone said it best in a recent parody blog (outkickthecoverage?), the SEC isn't faster than everyone. Their fat guys are faster than everyone else's fat guys.
But I'm talking about recruits coming out of high-school. Maybe I'm wrong, but the most common blue chip recruits are skill position players. QBs, WRs - play makers. Those guys are highly touted.

Obviously linemen are important. I'm not talking winning games. I'm talking recruits out of high school.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #46
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
Yea, players like Suh tend to be few and far between. But you can't say he's not a 5-star player.

I can possibly see the argument for OL not getting 5-stars, unless they happen to have some catching ability and could possibly play TE (even if it's not a 5-star TE, if it's the best OL out there who can also fill in as TE? That warrants a 5-star for sure).

But DE and DT are absolutely game-changers.

Suh is just the absolute best example. Honestly, he's probably a 6-star guy... but especially when it comes to DE (yes, I know Suh was DT), there are definitely guys coming in every year that warrant 5 stars at this position. To be that size, and have the strength to beat an OL plus the speed to run down a quarterback?

I think DE is probably a more important position and harder position to play than LB...
I agree. DE should be included. More sparsely distributed among top recruits, but there should be top caliber d ends.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #47
MVP

Quote:
But I'm talking about recruits coming out of high-school. Maybe I'm wrong, but the most common blue chip recruits are skill position players. QBs, WRs - play makers. Those guys are highly touted.

Obviously linemen are important. I'm not talking winning games. I'm talking recruits out of high school.
No, I'm pretty certain your wrong. Those guys that play the sexy positions are highly touted because... they play the sexy positions. They're scoring touchdowns now in High School, and fans of all levels of interest in their program, know that those kids will be scoring touchdowns when they get to campus.

As the old saying goes, defense wins championships, offense puts butts in seats.

It's somewhat applicable here too. People just tend to pay more attention to the players playing the sexy positions. In reality though, the recruiting services still give 5 stars to the players outside these positions.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #48
MVP

Actually... why not just check out Rivals.com?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecr...ings/rank-2867

#1. WR, 5*
#2. DE, 5*
#3. OL, 5*
#4. DT, 5*
#5. DE, 5*
#6. DT, 5*
#7. OL, 5*
#8. WR 5*
#9. ATH 5*
#10. DB 5*

Keep scrolling down. There's one running back in the top 15. There's on quarterback in the top 20 (and he's only a 4*).

There are 17 five star players.

2 WR
1 RB
2 DB
3 OL
5 DE
3 DT
1 ATH

I mean, obviously it's going to fluctuate from year to year, but for the 2012 class, 11 of the 17 five star players are linemen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »