Home

Ranked Online-Stopping the Counter?

This is a discussion on Ranked Online-Stopping the Counter? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Ranked Online-Stopping the Counter?

Playing online is really annoying me this year. I've now played three people in a row who run goal line and do counter on every single play. It sounds pathetic, but I can't stop it. I'm not some awful player either, I was ranked #4 last year at the end of the summer, and I tend to win when I'm not playing against someone who uses this offense. I just have no idea how to stop it. I've tried everything. I have tried every single formation and have tried blitzing from every angle or playing man cover 2, or zone with or without a blitz. I can at least slow it down when using quarter or dime, but still let up about 10-15 yards a carry and give up a 50+ yarder every few plays. I've tried switching up conservative, balanced, and aggressive also, and I just can't figure it out. Its bad enough where I finally do force a 3rd and 10, and someone will run counter and pick up the first down with ease. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thank you.

Oh, and if anyone knows what to do against a nano-blitzer who does bump and run, please let me know also. Again I've tried everything there and don't know what to do. Screens do not work, and neither does running the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Ranked Online-Stopping the Counter?

I must be a true noob but I have only played people online that play sim ever so can you tell me what the hell nano-blitzing is? Thanks
GM of the KC Royals in the OS Arbitration Thread
Old 07-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
Banned

Daniels2386's Arena

Does he switch sides if you overload where you know he's going?
What % of the time can you guess which way he is going?
Have you tried to put your DE's in contain?
Have you tried specifically 1-5-5?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HechticSooner
I must be a true noob but I have only played people online that play sim ever so can you tell me what the hell nano-blitzing is? Thanks
You're not a noob, just the luckiest bastard ever.

Anyway, nano blitzing is when the guy makes some line call or sets his men in position so the OLine gets confused and lets someone through unblocked.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniels2386
Does he switch sides if you overload where you know he's going?
What % of the time can you guess which way he is going?
Have you tried to put your DE's in contain?
Have you tried specifically 1-5-5?

I tried overloading if I thought/knew they were going to the right. I've tried overloading left and keying on run right to try and "trick" him and then I've tried overloading right and keying on run right when that didn't work. I'd say on average (I've played about 5 or so ppl who use this lame offense) that I know which way they are going about 2/3 of the time. I've tried contain. The problem with doing contain or keying on a run direction is that then they will just run up the middle and take 5 yards. The 1-5-5 was one of the only defense that actually somewhat worked against this offense, but by working it means it was only letting up 5-8 yards a carry not 10-12. I really have no idea what to do. I have never run into a situation like this before as I consider myself an above-average online player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

Counter takes time to develop, so blitz the edges and manually control a LB. Counters Gash the 4-3, so look at a 4-2-5, 3-3-5 or a 3-4.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Banned

Daniels2386's Arena

Well I say 1-5-5 because you want people who can run. If you run 4 down linemen and its a counter to the left, the back side DT & DE is pretty much out of the play. I see that the 1-5-5 has a weakness for Iso's, slams, and dives, but pretty solid against all other runs. Maybe try Nickle 2-4-5 set. 2 DT's in the middle should strengthen against the dives and you have 4 backers (2 as DE's & 2 in traditional set). I dont know who your playing with, but if there weak at LB dont be afraid to drop a SS or FS in place of 1 of the MLB's for speed purposes.

Also have you tried to manually put players in position before the snap?
I would bring my FS down sit him in between the corner & ,in the 2-4-5's case, OLB (DE). Take the SS sit him in the same spot on the other side.

Break down the situational aspect of it and read his tendencies. Is his 1st & 10 play usually a counter?

Is his short yardage game usually dives?

Last edited by Daniels2386; 07-25-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:55 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

I would also say that you should be running your own personal D then too so that you can have all the set you want and not have to be limited. I would suggest going LB heavy and play more men in the box. Instead of keying on the run Key on the RB like a spotted Receiver, spread your D line makes it harder for the tackles to get them box inside of the corners and if he is running these in non-extra wideout sets don't be afraid to call on your dime and nickle packages in order to get that extra defenders on the outsides...just a couple of tips from a good but not great D player
GM of the KC Royals in the OS Arbitration Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »