Home

If the game doesnt want you to win... YOU WONT!

This is a discussion on If the game doesnt want you to win... YOU WONT! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #57
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: If the game doesnt want you to win... YOU WONT!

I noticed this last year.

I was building up a terrible Purdue team and I remember playing number 1 ranked Ohio State. This was like 5-6 years into dynasty and I was in my first year coaching Purdue.

I swear to God, I fumbled the ball 10 times in the game. With the game set to conservative and me protecting the ball religiously after the first quarter (I fumbled 4 times in 4 possessions in the 1st quarter).

My Qb had like 2 fumbles (one of them justified), my receivers had 2 fumbles, but it was my RB (the only good player on the team...rated like 88) fumbled 6 times.

I lost the game like 21-35 and I was furious. Not because OSU won...heck, they were better than me and I was rebuilding. But it was as if every time I made positive yardage, I fumbled.

I literally quit playing the game for a week, I was so angry. My RB ended up with like 12 fumbles on the season.

Fortunately, I haven't noticed that in 12.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #58
Banned

OVR: 0

I believe you 100%. I think it's the way most sports games are and probably all games. I've seen it in MLB 11 the show alot. I've seen it in NBA 2k, NCAA BASKETBALL 10, ect. It's just the way the devs make to make it more difficult but they make it unrealistic sometimes. There needs to be a balance.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:39 AM   #59
MVP

blklightning's Arena

that's why they play the games.

3 points for graphics, 1 point for the passable commentary, and a half point for the boxart. I can give no further points since the all over the place gameplay would ruin it anyway.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 AM   #60
MVP

blklightning's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmurray20
i just played someone and put my defensive line on conservative so i wouldnt jump and hey guess what the guy made me jump the snap 35 times in a row and i lost god knows how many sportsmanship points, i was ticked off i never jumped it was always the cpu on a the same two people everytime, i controlled one the other jumped, i was up 28-0 when he did that and i just quit because there was no way i deserved to lose over 3000 points
online, that's a glitch with the game. if you switch that setting your line will jump every time for that drive alone, i believe. i think once the possession changes again, it gets reset.

3 points for graphics, 1 point for the passable commentary, and a half point for the boxart. I can give no further points since the all over the place gameplay would ruin it anyway.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #61
TWC
Rookie

TWC's Arena

OVR: 2

Try this:

Play a game as a team with a bad defense against a team with a good offense. On All-American and Heisman, the in-game adjustments have more of an effect, so test this on Varsity first. On defense, repeatedly call the same play (or ask coach) the entire game, but call a formation audible before each play. If it works and you get a stop, keep calling that same audible until the CPU "breaks" it and gains yardage and repeat the process.

What I'm finding is that throughout a game, two of the defensive formation audibles seem to be predetermined to produce a stop (well, about 90% of the time), but they alternate (in other words, only one works on a given play) throughout the game. On the higher difficulty levels, you have to figure out the right in-game adjustments, but usually once you find out which ones work, it plays just like Varsity.

I've been testing this for the last two weeks. On default AA, my defense got 5 interceptions in a game against Oregon, and I'm usually pretty bad at playing defense in these games. What's worse is that I was playing as FCS West with the speed threshold slider at 0. I had Auburn (7-1, ranked 6th, and an A offense) up 35-0 at halftime playing as Vanderbilt (1-7 with a C- defense).

On offense, mixing up play types seems to do a good job getting the CPU out of BS beast mode.

I hope this is just me, but I've yet to see this not work.

Edit: Just beat Oklahoma with Eastern Michigan (24-21) alternating between Man and Blitz (that is, once I figured out the adjustments). The D defense of EMU was able to get 4 turnovers (3 interceptions and one fumble) while holding OU to 215 total yards. Only two of Oklahoma's touchdowns were on offense. The other was a fumble recovery. This is on default All-American with the speed threshold set at 0.

There's definitely something weird in the play types.

Last edited by TWC; 08-07-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #62
MVP

Dirty Turtles's Arena

OVR: 10

Ratings do matter in this game and sometimes, in certain circumstances, a team comes out and plays better than they are rated on "paper."

In my 2nd year of an Akron dynasty I have a bunch of crappy players basically. My offensive line ratings are 73, 61, 59, 59, 58. My holding penalties and sacks have quadrupled easily from last year.

I'm playing at Ohio and they're creaming me. Nothing is going right. I'm down 3 scores late in the third, when I start my comeback. I take the lead with 2 minutes left in the game 44-40. They march down the field and score again to make it 47-44 with 34 seconds left. I get the ball back and move my team down the field through the air and got the winning score with 3 seconds left and cringed as the CPU simulates my defense.

All throughout that game I kept saying "this CPU is cheating me bad today, there's no way that I should be playing this horribly. I went 12-1 last year with basically the same team losing only to South Carolina in the Orange Bowl. Why are these defensive linemen faster than my running back! Another hold, that's all these kids do! UGH!" Then it dawned on me as I sat there recruiting afterwards.

My team sucks. My linemen are basically all freshmen and have the awareness of a throw pillow. Of course they're going to have to hold when they're playing better teams. Of course teams are going to play better at home then they do when they come to play in Akron. I'm unbeaten and this is a big game for them in the conference race. All those factors should give them a bigger boost over me. It happens and adaption is the only way to beat it.

So the very next game? I creamed Bowling Green 80-16. My defense helped me with 2 scores and a kick return, but otherwise it was my flawless offense. Even my backup QB was spot on when I asked him to make a pass to move the chains and keep the clock rolling. Nothing could stop me. Now I've forgotten all about when I could swear the deck was stacked against me. If the computer had emotions I bet it would have hit the reset button or have been swearing up a storm. It just took the beating, saved my game and plotted its revenge for tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #63
MVP

waytofailself's Arena

OVR: 3

The closest I have found to the game being hard coded to keep you from winning is in my last two victories where the game bugged out. I was beating VT 31-10 with Wake Forest when the game froze in the 4th Quarter. I was beating Notre Dame 21-13 in the final minute as well when another terrible bug happened. Notre Dame was making it's last drive to attempt to score a touchdown, and on 3rd and 10 for some reason the QB audibles to a run to the right. Upon making contact with my defender, the RB and the football disappears and this happens (I let this run for about 30 minutes):

ND had time for one or two more plays. It's a shame I didn't get to see the game out.

So no, there isn't any "rubber band" style stuff in this game. Not like Forza or Gran Tourismo or something. A bad team like Wake Forest can spring up to beat ranked teams like VT or ND. But maybe from a very cynical point of view if the game does not want you to win it will freeze you out or take away the ball so you can't win. Because the game seems to have no problem freezing or bugging out all those times I've lost
Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #64
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Lose to Bama using FIU 40-10 cool with it.

Lose to Bama using FIU 35-34 when the CPU wants you to lose you will!

There is no you will lose this game code. There are games when nothing goes your way just like in real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »