Home

Patch lighting issues intentional?

This is a discussion on Patch lighting issues intentional? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 32
Patch lighting issues intentional?

I think we finally have our answer. Last night in browsing channels, I came across one of those "making of" shows for NCAA. The developers were discussing some sort of an issue they found with the lighting blooms shortly before releasing the demo and how the Alabama game was originally intended to be a night game, but that they had to move it to day because of the issue, thus giving them some time to fix the lighting issues before the final release.

So I am assuming the release day patch was the intended fix because I can clearly see the above mentioned blooms in the game pre-patch. The problem is that while this fixed the issues with the lighting blooms, the lighting effects so highly marketed prior to game release, were completely removed from the game.

For those still in unbelief, play a night game at South Carolina pre and post patch. You will see the difference in the stadium lighting effects.

The lighting changes had a lot to do with my decision to buy the game this year. I was holding out some hope EA would fix lighting issues the first patch caused with the second patch. However, after seeing that show and the patch notes, I am not sure that will be the case. Any thoughts?

Last edited by SECElit3; 08-23-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
MVP

sooner1's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Patch lighting issues intentional?

Hardly notice the difference pre and post patch. Not a big deal in my eyes. What is a big deal is having the numerous amounts of online glitches and 2 months later almost still not addressed. Pa jet sweep, goon kick, dc glitch, jump snap glitch and on and on. People can go no huddle all gm without fatigue just like the computer does. Except after an incomplete pass these guys online will still no huddle. It's terrible and very unrealistic. Especially to
Be able to go no huddle and run the same run play over and over again and your d not recognize it and stop it.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner1
Hardly notice the difference pre and post patch. Not a big deal in my eyes. What is a big deal is having the numerous amounts of online glitches and 2 months later almost still not addressed. Pa jet sweep, goon kick, dc glitch, jump snap glitch and on and on. People can go no huddle all gm without fatigue just like the computer does. Except after an incomplete pass these guys online will still no huddle. It's terrible and very unrealistic. Especially to
Be able to go no huddle and run the same run play over and over again and your d not recognize it and stop it.
another reason not to play online against random opponents...
Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGW88
another reason not to play online against random opponents...
Learned that lesson early last year when some a-hole used the pump fake glitch on every 3rd down against me.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

I would like to see comparison pics
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I would like to see comparison pics
Fine Fine... I will get some up this weekend. I don't really understand how people do not see it. Load a South Carolina night game pre patch, load a replay and pan all the way down to a field level sideline view so that the camera is directly front of the stadium lights. You will notice pre-patch that the lights almost have a sparkle to them. They are bright, much more true to real life. Post patch they don't have the same shine. They are dim and less brilliant, there is no twinkle.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECElite3
Fine Fine... I will get some up this weekend. I don't really understand how people do not see it. Load a South Carolina night game pre patch, load a replay and pan all the way down to a field level sideline view so that the camera is directly front of the stadium lights. You will notice pre-patch that the lights almost have a sparkle to them. They are bright, much more true to real life. Post patch they don't have the same shine. They are dim and less brilliant, there is no twinkle.
And to add to this... games where there are shadows on the field are a nightmare. I thought HDR lighting or whatever the #### they call it would change this. But the home teams uniforms blend into the shadows so much... even Tennessee and their gaudy orange... that it's a terrible disadvantage.

Try playing at Alabama w/ shadows... if the Leaping LBer's and Psychic DB's weren't enough, now you have to contend w/ not being able to see certain players.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

I wonder if this was done as a result of the PS3. Reason I say this is I initially owned the PS3 version and seemed that just before every play had a "momentary freeze" and cut off of sound. If the PS3 was struggling this much with the patch I wonder if the added lighting effects were even worse. I can't confirm this though as I sold my copy and bought the 360 version instead. MUCH better in my experience.

Maybe someone on PS3 can run pre/post patch and see if any issues arise from this? I might be reaching here but like I said the PS3/360 version in my case was a big difference.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »