Home

Isn't it about time recruiting get's overhauled?

This is a discussion on Isn't it about time recruiting get's overhauled? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
Rookie

aerovt's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Isn't it about time recruiting get's overhauled?

Never played college hoops, but I'd like to see it kind of integrated with coaching carousel.

Basically, allow the player to hire and fire your OC/DC next year. On top of having a HC, OC, and DC grade, they should also have a Recruiting grade.

At the beginning of the year, you pick and order your prospects like normal, but then, instead of calling them every week, you will have assigned your different coaches to recruit all the prospects. Each coach can only handle so many players (ie 10-15 or so) and the recruits become more/less interested in your school based on your school pitching rankings (with more emphasis on if a position is crowded at your school or not), coach recruiting, and how your season is doing.

As head coach, the only time you get involved is when the recruit is ready to visit or when your coach want to offer a scholarship. Then you see what the player likes (based on what your coach found out about them) and you set the schedule/give an offer.

When a player signs with you, a spot opens up on your coaches 'players to recruit' list and you can add another one or let him focus more on the select few you have.

Off season recruiting can be the same as it is now, but with what your coaches already figured out unlocked.

I feel this would make recruiting less time consuming while actually being more interesting and deeper. Do you pick up that DC who is great at calling defenses but cant recruit, just hoping he gets better? or do you go with a slightly worse DC who could talk LeBron into quitting basketball to come play college football for you? Or, when you do have your coaches, do you assign a bunch of the players to your best recruiter, or only give him a few people to focus on and improve your chances?

To make this work, I guess youd have to make OC/DC ratings matter too. Maybe they could affect progression instead of HC ratings, or perhaps could give a slight AWR boost/subtraction during games depending on how good or bad they are

Last edited by aerovt; 08-29-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
the process took around 2½ to 3 hours and i only had like 5 guys on my recruiting board.
That's because it takes a freaking hour to advance 1 week in off season recruiting.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4
My main issue with recruiting is how long it takes and the overall rating of recruits.

I sim a lot of the recruiting because I just don't have the time to recruit. I'd rather be playing actual games. Yet the offseason stills takes me 1-2 hours.

As for overall ratings, I'd like to see it where there are some 5 star busts and some 1 star players who turn out to be great. I saw a stat that only half of the 5 star recruits actually make it to the NFL. Yet in this game almost all of the top rated players were 5 star recruits.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
It needs an overhaul, and the overhaul needs to mirror real life.

You should be able to start recruiting prospects as juniors (or at least add them to your board) and there should be a ton of prospects that want to commit to you immediately. As a coach, you should be able to decide if you will accept that commitment or hold off on it. Soft commits should come rather easily and should mean what it means in real life (players will take their visits) while hard commits should represent prospects that won't take anymore visits.

An example of how this should work would be you add 50 prospects to your board their junior year. 25 of them would commit to you right now as soft commits if you offered them, but they don't even have rankings yet so you have to be selective about who you accept commitments from. Could be a 5 star or could be a 2 star.

That way you could be like Texas and have your class done by the time the season starts or you could wait awhile before you start accepting commits so you can see how the players will be ranked.

That's the short version of how I'd do it. I did a write up one time that went into more detail.
Junior yr recruiting = too much. I think it should be just Sr year recruiting. It takes quite a while now. I'm not for more time being taken to recruit.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovt
Never played college hoops, but I'd like to see it kind of integrated with coaching carousel.

Basically, allow the player to hire and fire your OC/DC next year. On top of having a HC, OC, and DC grade, they should also have a Recruiting grade.

At the beginning of the year, you pick and order your prospects like normal, but then, instead of calling them every week, you will have assigned your different coaches to recruit all the prospects. Each coach can only handle so many players (ie 10-15 or so) and the recruits become more/less interested in your school based on your school pitching rankings (with more emphasis on if a position is crowded at your school or not), coach recruiting, and how your season is doing.

As head coach, the only time you get involved is when the recruit is ready to visit or when your coach want to offer a scholarship. Then you see what the player likes (based on what your coach found out about them) and you set the schedule/give an offer.

When a player signs with you, a spot opens up on your coaches 'players to recruit' list and you can add another one or let him focus more on the select few you have.

Off season recruiting can be the same as it is now, but with what your coaches already figured out unlocked.

I feel this would make recruiting less time consuming while actually being more interesting and deeper. Do you pick up that DC who is great at calling defenses but cant recruit, just hoping he gets better? or do you go with a slightly worse DC who could talk LeBron into quitting basketball to come play college football for you? Or, when you do have your coaches, do you assign a bunch of the players to your best recruiter, or only give him a few people to focus on and improve your chances?

To make this work, I guess youd have to make OC/DC ratings matter too. Maybe they could affect progression instead of HC ratings, or perhaps could give a slight AWR boost/subtraction during games depending on how good or bad they are
I actually like this and think that this would defintaly make it less time consuming and would actually allow us to get more players if they do make it right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

Glad this stirred up some discussion!

I love recruiting and it was too easy. The random wheel while probably a necessity isn't the best solution. Things I would like to see that may or not be in there already:

System you run dictating who signs with you!: Let's say I am a powerhouse I'll choose Alabama. If I run an option offense and over the course of years going by I am a run dominant team wouldn't more HB and Speedy option QB's want to come to my school? I shouldn't be able to land the top 5* WR's just because I am a 6 star school. a Top WR would go to a better system where he would be used more, same goes for Pocket Passer QB going to an option based offense school. Also Defensive players roles would work the same depending what system you run.

Diamonds and Busts
: as mentioned before just because a recruit is a 5* shouldn't mean he is always awesome! There should be a bust system where sometimes a recruit just doesn't fit your system or just doesn't acclimate well and becomes a bust. Also 2-3* recruits could the opposite, be better then they where scouted out to be. I remember a game where a players rating was different depending on the type of offense or defense system you ran, that would work well here.

Rating overhaul
: I think the whole rating system should be tweaked. It should not be a set # but a range of numbers where it could fluctuate up or down depending on certain factors like how they practiced during the week, grades slipping etc Could add some more realism to the game. Adding the option to setup weekly practice schedules, would help with player progression, player on-field performance and tie into recruiting.

Just some ideas, lot of this would add more micro-managing but in a dynasty setting I would not mind this at all, some others will. I'd be happy if recruiting was just not based on hours spend and what your team prestige is. Top Recruits go to non power schools sometimes for various reasons. this game your a powerhouse you get whoever you want.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #23
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

Some pitches need to be scaled and balanced. Namely an obvious one being Location.

If a player doesn't want to stay close to home, why does the pitch become moot when your far away? You should be benefiting from that.

But honestly that's if they keep this season they need to put more thought into scaling (in the sense that you reach one end of the scale it either tips in or out of your favor.)

Recruits need to have some form of consciousness. If your #2 and you play their #1 school, maybe they should hit on that. On visits you should also still be able to talk down other schools.

They really just need to find a new method that isn't the same thing over and over week in and out. Personally the only ideas I have are some slight altering to the current system but this system isn't that great.

I really wish they did bring back budget points though, so you can determine if you want the school to focus more on recruiting, faculties or training through the season.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagopax
Some pitches need to be scaled and balanced. Namely an obvious one being Location.

If a player doesn't want to stay close to home, why does the pitch become moot when your far away? You should be benefiting from that.

But honestly that's if they keep this season they need to put more thought into scaling (in the sense that you reach one end of the scale it either tips in or out of your favor.)

Recruits need to have some form of consciousness. If your #2 and you play their #1 school, maybe they should hit on that. On visits you should also still be able to talk down other schools.

They really just need to find a new method that isn't the same thing over and over week in and out. Personally the only ideas I have are some slight altering to the current system but this system isn't that great.

I really wish they did bring back budget points though, so you can determine if you want the school to focus more on recruiting, faculties or training through the season.
That right there is something that always bugs me in the recruiting. If in CA recruiting a guy in texas or something that says he doesn't want to stay close to home that should be a "very high" for me, and I should be able to play on that, but then if he says something like he WANTS to be close to home then it should not be in my favor. But I came to a conclusion that the location recruitment is automatically for staying local, and the player quotes are just random stuff as I have seen under the coach prestige pitch I have had that as "Most" numerous times but get some weird quotes like "boring" or something to the effect of I am talking about myself too much but the recruit is mostly interested in that lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »