Home

Last-Ditch Effort: Turn Down the Difficulty

This is a discussion on Last-Ditch Effort: Turn Down the Difficulty within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Last-Ditch Effort: Turn Down the Difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhinds7
This is the best post I have ever read on this forum.

Also, the 1995 Huskers are the best team ever.
I think the 01 Hurricanes may have something to say about that there!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
Rookie

BigSteveTN09's Arena

OVR: 3

excellent post
NHL - Predators
Old 09-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #19
Rookie

lhinds7's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfc415
I think the 01 Hurricanes may have something to say about that there!!!
The fact that they had 17 first round draft picks doesn't mean a thing.

You knew what the Huskers were gonna do when you played them. And they still did it, with great success. They averaged 7 yards per rush, and were never sacked throughout the entire season. Average margin of victory of 38 points.

If you look at strength of schedule, the 1995 Huskers clearly had a stronger schedule. Plus the 2001 Miami team beat a mediocre Nebraska team that didn't even go to the Big 12 championship game.

The 1994 team was pretty good too, I guess.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Great post!

I'm enjoying the game immensely...

I have been able to come up with slider sets, workarounds and house rules for these games for years and have always found a "sweet spot" where wins and losses almost always have to do with how I (as the "user vs. CPU) play and how I employ the strategies that are available...

My sliders to the OP's point are basically a Varsity feel on AA...

I'm no controller jockey, but I make good calls and reads, and I think the CPU plays a more challenging game on that level...

Varsity seem to "give up" to easily, IMO...

My stats are realistic, very few "upsets" for CPU or me...lots of "ESPN Classics"...

Are these titles flawed?

Absolutely!

Do I get frustrated with the same issues failing to be addressed year after year?

Yup!

Am I having a blast?

Hells to the Yeah!

Tip one: Turn of HFA...

IMO, the effects are exaggerated esp. when you're playing in half empty stadiums in the WAC, like I currently am...

It still exists, but it's subtle and the "video game" plays that infuriate me are nearly non existent...

You get out of these games what you put into them...

OS is always chock full of great suggestions and research, so employing all that is available is time consuming, but worthwhile IMHO...

Happy gaming!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #21
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niq54
I understand some of your points, but you're missing something. When players ask for realism they want a challenge. Just because I'm in year 5-6 in my dynasty with a Big Ten team, the SEC should still be a better conference. The fact is blow outs in college do happen when you play weaker opponents, but on this game it can happen when you play better opponents too. I'm a michigan fan, and I can beat Alabama with Michigan. Realisticly this would not happen, Michigan is just not that good. When I was a teenager I had no problem blowing teams out and going undefeated, but I'm a grown man I want to be challenged. The problem is adjusting sliders to create a challenge leads to unnatural plays. 4-5 pancakes per play. This just doesn't happen, in a real football game there might be 1-2 pancakes all game.
In Sports, ANYTHING can happen. Michigan can beat Alabama on any given Saturday if things go their way. Just like nobody thought App. St would upset Michigan.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #22
Pro

willIam9387's Arena

OVR: 10

I've had some bad cases of slideritis in the past, and now I just play the game for fun with a good set of sliders and I don't worry about outcomes or what not and obsess over them. I could see playing 500 games with a specific set of sliders and having a problem because you are getting unrealistic stats. But playing a game with one slider set, then changing to another because you didn't get the perfect statistical game based on the teams you were using is a dangerous cycle that will make you not want to play an otherwise fun game.

I mean how can you expect NCAA to be a perfect on field simulation of football when defensive coverage isn't coded right and quarterbacks can't add touch to seam routes because of the tech not being there for the developers yet. When you can't account for every possible animation or sequence that could occur in real life, can you expect that videogame to be a perfect representation of college football? I'd say no, but NCAA 12 is a good simulation of football based on what technology they have to work with. It's amazing that we are even having this debate, which is a credit to videogames blurring the line between reality and virtual reality.

My recommendations for anybody with a case of slideritis is to just make a decision on a slider set and roll with them and enjoy the game because in the end it's supposed to be a videogame to reduce stress and allow us to relax from whatever else we have going on in our life: work, school, etc.

If your Eastern Michigan squad beats Alabama revel in that big victory because you shouldn't be trying to compete with reality, and even in reality Eastern Michigan might beat Alabama, it's probably a one in a 100 million chance, but never say never.

So when you pop in NCAA 12 remember, enjoy it and have fun, and remember that it's just a game and nothing to stress yourself over because it has shortcomings.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhinds7
The fact that they had 17 first round draft picks doesn't mean a thing.

You knew what the Huskers were gonna do when you played them. And they still did it, with great success. They averaged 7 yards per rush, and were never sacked throughout the entire season. Average margin of victory of 38 points.

If you look at strength of schedule, the 1995 Huskers clearly had a stronger schedule. Plus the 2001 Miami team beat a mediocre Nebraska team that didn't even go to the Big 12 championship game.

The 1994 team was pretty good too, I guess.
I'll give you the 95 Huskers...but the 94 Huskers would have gotten steamrolled by Penn State that year. There isn't any way Nebraska could have stopped that offense. Play zone, and Ki-Jana Carter kills you with the run, and Kyle Brady with the short pass. Play man, and Bobby Engram, Freddie Scott and Kyle Brady killed you. Play 8 in the box was suicide. Play back was suicide.

Before anyone says that PSU's defense wasn't that good that year, keep in mind there was a ton of injuries, AND when the starters on defense were pulled, the score was roughly 42-17, early in the 3rd quarter...and we all know about PSU's extremely soft zone defense with starters, let alone backups.

that offense was something...they averaged 37 pts in the first half that year, and almost 400 yards of offense...in the first half.

95 Nebraska was ridiculous. But their 94 team would have lost had they played.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #24
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

This is a lot of words to make an invalid point, in my opinion. I usually do basically everything you say to do. I keep the difficulty down, I play to have fun, etc. I rarely lose games. I usually finish top 5 in offense and scoring every season I play (I usually sim defense).

Still doesn't mean the game isn't absolutely broken sometimes.

Laws of physics don't apply to defensive players. DBs don't have to plant. LBs have zero momentum. Everybody slides over the field. I can have perfect timing (and I usually do), but it doesn't mean a thing if the DB doesn't have to plant and jumps his out-route before the receiver has even started to turn.

I've lost way more games in the various 2k iterations and PS2 versions of NCAA than in the last three years of NCAA on Xbox 360. And I've been infinitely less frustrated because I rarely see the blatant stupidity that is so prevalent in current versions of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »