Home

WR is backup CB?

This is a discussion on WR is backup CB? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Banned

a_maz_ing's Arena

OVR: 8
WR is backup CB?

So Im using a dynasty with Baylor and I noticed last game when i put my 2nd team offense in that one of the CBs had a star. I looked to see who it was and it my #1 WR, K. Wright!
Is this because I lack depth at CB (I think I only have 5 on my depth chart), or is it something else?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
Rookie

lil_taul's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: WR is backup CB?

to reasons.
1. u lack depth
2. u probably have depth but the WR was a ATH when recruiting him and as a overall rating, he's better than your other backup Corners

you can easily fix this if you have other corners u wanna play by goin to the depth chart and subbing them in
Old 09-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_taul
to reasons.
1. u lack depth
2. u probably have depth but the WR was a ATH when recruiting him and as a overall rating, he's better than your other backup Corners

you can easily fix this if you have other corners u wanna play by goin to the depth chart and subbing them in
Not sure this is true. But let me qualify things by admitting that I can only reference '11 as I don't have a way (yet) in my apt. to connect online (not shelling out $60 for a game that needs patches that I can't supply).

I rarely have less than one RS CB on the roster so my depth at the position is fine. Along with this, I can say that the only players on my roster that might be able to compete with even my #5 CB is a FS.
Again, another qualifier, the only time I see one of my WRs playing at CB (have also seen my #2 or 3 QB slip in at FS) is after Mass Subbing with 2nd team.
What is clearly happening is fatigue, so the CPU searches for the next guy but only uses speed or, most likely, OVR. What I've never understood is why the CPU doesn't look for the characteristics necessary for the position in finding a replacement. I'm an old Jimmy Johnson-style man downsizing SSs (even FSs since Wt doesn't matter) to LBs, and so on, all the time so half my mid-80s-speed LBs, even in the middle, have better CB coverage skills than the player the CPU picks.

Of course, a response back at me would be to quit bitchin' since at the point of Mass Sub I'm clearly ahead enough so that the long TD pass that will inevitably be surrendered by the WR-turned-CB -- it's actually funny sometimes to watch the replay and how he stumbles or falls to the turf when he's faked out by the WR release move -- won't matter. And that is correct.
I'm not complaining and I hope it's not coming across that way. I just think there's a better way for EA to figure out how this situation can be solved.

[STILL think upping roster limits to 75 would solve many issues, not just this one]
Old 09-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Rookie

bccards13's Arena

I'm pretty sure the main thing causing it isn't depth its that the receiver you have is good at conerback. But also you never mentioned the receivers overall rating at corner. If he's around 80 or above then he has traits like man and zone coverage that are better than other receivers. Also he might have tackle ability as well. If hes below about 70 overall its all speed agility and catching.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccards13
I'm pretty sure the main thing causing it isn't depth its that the receiver you have is good at conerback.
Yeah this. It's pretty simple, as soon as the CPU has to fill positions with players beyond the regular depth chart, it just picks out the guys with the highest ratings available. Since this isn't Madden where players take an automatic hit for playing outside of their regular position, it can happen easily that guys like WRs have decent ratings as a CB, so once your players get injured and exhausted, it can easily happen that when you call a nickel or dime set, you see a WR take the field simply because he's the best for the job.

I once had a great CB with great speed and catch skills and I even formation subbed him into some spread packages because he was great at just running past corners if they didn't bump him. One time I had an offensive tackle carry the ball on a FB dive from a Maryland Goal Line set simply because I had run out of FBs to put on the field (he actually scored a TD) and in my Akron dynasty, in my first two years I actually had to use a safety as part-time running back simply because two of my RBs where injured and the only one left to carry the ball where some full backs.

It's one of the things I love about NCAA that it allows you to do stuff like that, not like Madden where you can't manually put players in other positions than their usual spots. Once, I had a scrambling QB with speed 85 who was actually a good receiver too, I even took the time to create a "mismatch" set where I would put 2 QBs, a receiver, a fullback, two running backs and a cornerback on the field, since both QBs were good scramblers and one was a good receiver, both RBs where good ballcatchers at well as was the CB, I could run literally anything with that personell set from Wildcat kind of stuff to triple option or Power I run plays to 5 wide shotgun sets. Or use a HB pass trick play to have one QB pitch the ball to the other who then takes a shot downfield. Of course it's just for fun against the CPU who doesn't really react to stuff like that, but I guess you could really confuse the hell out of a human opponent using unconventional personnel like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Just a word of advice, use Prince Kent in as many places in ur secondary as u need him. The guy is versatile and an animal!!!!

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »