Home

Mercy

This is a discussion on Mercy within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16
Mercy

Do you guys offer mercy when up 21?

I do it every time, even if they're cheesers. The main reason is that it usually saves me about 20 minutes each game, which adds up very quickly. I know cheesers deserve to get a loss, but I don't want to waste any more time on them than I absolutely have to.

I'm surprised by the number of people who reject it. They're basically asking to get a loss and waste an extra 20 minutes from both of our days. I guess its some sort of "man-pride" thing that some people take too seriously. But it makes no logical sense to reject an offer of mercy when it benefits both parties.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Mercy

You misunderstand how concede defeat/offer mercy work. They still get a loss. Friendly quit is when no one gets a loss.

Maybe they just aren't ready to give up yet. I've been down by 21 in the 3rd qtr and came back to win. Also, you can learn a lot by playing someone who is better, and so there is benefit to completing a game even if you are getting blown out.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

I was under the impression that accepting mercy meant the person ahead gets a win and nothing happens to the other person. I guess your response would make sense then.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

usually if i am up by 21 or down 21 i have no problem requesting or offering mercy.
However, if i get matched up with a cheeser i have a different tactic i use. Say for example somebody comes out doing nothing but maryland i and power i I, after i stop them i will request a friendly quit. If they decline it, I turn in to a prick.
I play straight but if i get up 21 and they request mercy i will decline it and then i will run out the clock. But instead of setting the tempo setting to conservative so the clock runs quicker, i leave it at balanced and do nothing but run the ball, making sure to stay in bounds. I will call plays quickly then sit at the line of scrimmage for 30 seconds until the play clock is at 1 then snap it. I will dive to the ground after i pick up a first. if i get inside the 5 yd line and have 1st down i will kneel on it to keep the ball out of their hands longer.
ya it wastes my time and its petty, but i look at it as the cheeser was wasting my time by not accepting a friendly quit, and if they get annoyed and decide to quit it raises their dnf%
Old 09-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

i never quit or accept mercy, I just use that *** whooping to try different plays that i wouldnt be comfortable running if the game was on the line. Plus the the end of the butt kicking i usually figure out what the other guy was doing that caused me to be down so many in the first place.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadolla
i never quit or accept mercy, I just use that *** whooping to try different plays that i wouldnt be comfortable running if the game was on the line. Plus the the end of the butt kicking i usually figure out what the other guy was doing that caused me to be down so many in the first place.
Exactly. You can learn a lot by looking at the replays at the end of the game that you lost. And if you are the one winning, you might want to save some of your highlights, which you can't do if you grant mercy.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadolla
I offer mercy against someone that I just hate playing, guys that scramble around all game or are just running the same thing over and over. I don't want to waste time with that. But guys I am just beating soundly but it is otherwise a legit game, I love playing it and facing guys like that I would never offer or accept mercy, even if I was getting torched.

It is rare to get quality games, even if it is lopsided, I like being able to execute my offense and try new things.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
I offer mercy against someone that I just hate playing, guys that scramble around all game or are just running the same thing over and over. I don't want to waste time with that. But guys I am just beating soundly but it is otherwise a legit game, I love playing it and facing guys like that I would never offer or accept mercy, even if I was getting torched.

It is rare to get quality games, even if it is lopsided, I like being able to execute my offense and try new things.
Are you on Live? I'm been looking for more quality sim games as well. Send me a friend request if you do. Same as my username.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »