Home

Idiots guide book....

This is a discussion on Idiots guide book.... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
MVP

stewart#28's Arena

OVR: 0
Idiots guide book....

I was hoping to get some input for recruiting and general player roster analysis in it's most basic form, ala "Idiots Guide to Recruiting/Evaluations"....my thought on this is what is the one or two single most important things took look for when setting your depth chart or evaluation a potential recruit for your team...
Easy Example
QB
Throw Power B and above
Throw Accuracy B and above
If your looking for a running QB B and above

where it get's a little tricky for me is OL/DL/LB/HB/WR/TE players...so if you could point to one or two attributes that seem to have the most significant effect what would it be?

Run Blocking OL?
Pass Blocking OL?
Run Stopping DL?
Pass Rushing OL?
etc....for all the positions.

....can you offer up what are the most important 2/3 things to look for?
12' 12-4

Last edited by stewart#28; 10-01-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Pro

Pielet's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Idiots guide book....

Good discussion Gruden! Important offensive attributes from what I've seen and read about.....

QB
Throwing Power, Accuracy
Awareness
Depending on your style you may want good Acceleration, Agility, Carrying, Ball Carrier Vision for a mobile QB. Personally I'll adapt my style to what QB I can attract to my school.

HB
40 time, Squat, Acceleration, Break Tackle, and Carrying
I never seem to be able to attract elite HBs to my schools. I generally appreciate good balanced tailbacks who can catch the ball.

FB
Run Block Strength, Run Block Footwork
The under appreciated fullback. I generally appreciate a FB who can catch in my pro style offense. Since they share attribute strengths with a TE, I'll typically recruit a TE and move them, but Awareness takes a hit when you move positions so consider that. Don't be fooled by *'s for a fullback. I've seen 2* FBs come in as mid 80 overalls.

TE
Run Block Strength, Catching.
Personally for me I like height. A good 6'7"+ TE is a great weapon.

WR
40, Acceleration, Agility, and Catching.
Again height is a nice attribute to have, especially this year with rocket catching back en vogue.

OL
Run/Pass Block Strength, Footwork
My understanding from others is the generic Run Blocking and Pass Blocking are "sim" only attributes. As far as Run or Pass specialties I will take what I can get.

From there I then utilize my custom playbook to set up formations that I can easily sub in specialties to. For example, I will generally run a lot out of Ace Big, so I will formation sub in my two best run blocking TEs, my best run blocking OL, my best run blocking WR, etc. In shotgun sets, I'll do the opposite and sub in my pass blocking OL. In terms of WRs I do the following on my depth chart:

My two outer WRs (#'s 1/2 on depth) I look for a good release, speed, and acceleration. Out of these two, the one with the highest Spectacular Catch I'll put at 1. My slot WR I'll put my best catcher (highest catching and catching in traffic).

Hope it makes sense Gruden!

Last edited by Pielet; 10-01-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Pro

Pielet's Arena

Philosophy on defensive recruiting......

DE
40, Bench, Squat, Acceleration, Block Shedding, Power Moves, and Finesse Moves
Pass Rushers will be smaller and quicker, versus the brute Run Stoppers. Formation sub in the appropriate fit for the scheme: Run Stoppers on base 4-3, 3-4, 4-2-5, 3-3-5, 4-4. Pass Rushers on Nickel, Dime, Quarters.

DT
Bench, Squat, Block Shedding, Power Moves, and Finesse Moves
Depending on my balance between DE and DTs, I would plug Pass Rushing DEs into DT slots via formation subs on some Nickel (3-3-5, Normal), Dime, and Quarters packages.

LB
40, Bench, Squat, Tackling, Play Recognition, Block Shedding
Again use formation subs to plug in for strength. Put run stoppers into the 4-4 package. In general if you blitz a lot more from the left, put the Pass Rusher into the LOLB slot and put the better Coverage LB into the ROLB slot. For the MLB in general I prefer Run stoppers as I'll formation sub typically a SS into the LB slots for Dime and Quarters packages. For a Dime 3-2-6, LOLB will formation sub a Pass Rusher as they're usually the designated blitzer.

Secondary
40, Agility, Tackling, Man Coverage, Zone Coverage, Press, Play Recognition
If man coverage ratings are similar (I pretty much run a man style defense), I'll put my best Pressers in the 1/2 depth chart slots. My best Man Coverage CB I'll formation to the slot on Dime and Quarters packages. For the safeties I'll look more to Zone Coverage ratings for my base Cover Two philosophy. If from the base 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 you run a lot of SS Dogs type plays, you might consider Pass Rushing LBs formation subs for the two SS.

Kicking
Kicking Power and Accuracy
Take what you can get.

Overall again height is an undervalued tool in defense. Especially on the line for pass swatting and in the secondary.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
MVP

stewart#28's Arena

OVR: 0

wow, great stuff pielet, you went above and beyond, and I really appreciate the insight, thanks!
12' 12-4
Old 10-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart#28
wow, great stuff pielet, you went above and beyond, and I really appreciate the insight, thanks!
That is some really quality insight...

Here's a link to a few pages of threads on this topic you may get some info from as well:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...archid=4383802
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
Pro

Pielet's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
That is some really quality insight...

Here's a link to a few pages of threads on this topic you may get some info from as well:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...archid=4383802
Linkey no workey
Old 10-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielet
Linkey no workey
Darn thing worked when I put it up...

I searched Recruiting Tips and got pages of high post / read count threads...

Try this one:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ting-tips.html

That had the most reads / views / etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »