Home

Player Calculator app for Android

This is a discussion on Player Calculator app for Android within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Rookie

GKEnialb's Arena

OVR: 5
Player Calculator app for Android

Hi mods - Steve said this was ok to post.

For years I've used an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my players and attempt to figure out how good each recruit on my board was (especially after continually being bitten by recruiting the Ath which was listed #1 on the HB list only to find he was a terrible HB, but a great DT and I already had 6 of them). This year I decided to actually make an app for it (Android only - don't have a mac to make an iPhone app) and knew people here had asked about an Android app, so thought I'd share.

Basically you pick a position and enter all of the letter grades (and actual values for 40 time, bench, and squat, but those are optional because it's a pain to go back and get them once the recruit is on your board). You can also pick key statistics that are important to you for each position (so if you want a scrambling QB or a power HB, for instance). The app gives you the overall rating and average of the key stats for the player (with a low/avg/high, as each letter grade corresponds to a range of values).

For athletes, it's particularly useful, as it gives the highest rated position for the athlete (I used to get burnt all the time recruiting an athlete showing up in the list of recruits for one position only to find out they sucked at that position).

I do have a paid version of the app as well - the only difference is that all the positions are calculated for a recruit, with the results sorted from best to worst (except the base position always listed first unless he's an athlete).

You can get them from the Android Market here: https://market.android.com/search?q=...or&so=1&c=apps or here (which has more of an overview and both flavors of the app for Windows): http://www.enialb.com/home/ncaa-foot...yer-calculator

Version 2 is now out, adding the ability to parse Online Dynasty file (if you're able to download it to your Android from the Online Dynasty site - need Flash for that). It takes a while to process, but will rank every recruit (regardless of position) and give overall ratings and key attribute ratings for the position you select (top 10 in the free version). I've also added the ability to add to the results screen so that you can compare multiple recruits at once.

If anybody can think of something useful to add, I'll try to get it in.

Last edited by GKEnialb; 10-08-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Rookie

mjwickstrom1's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Player Calculator app for Android

I like the idea of this app, but I like the hit or miss aspect of recruiting. Sure it can be frustrating, but that's part of real life. There's always recruits that don't live up to the hype, and others that are diamonds in the rough. The fun part is going through the process and seeing how everything ends up.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
Rookie

lhinds7's Arena

OVR: 0

There are no diamonds in the rough in this game. There won't be any 3-star WRs or HBs that will be just as good or better than a 5-star their freshman year (or even senior year). It's just not the way the game operates. The game is based on numbers. The game can't calculate intangibiles, nor will it ever.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

OVR: 10

Make something similar for madden. I'm tired of drafting a first rounder I've been scouting all year long who's potential ovr was around 75-80 and he ended up being 67. Made me mad.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Rookie

SoundTheAlarm's Arena

OVR: 11

I wish I would have found this a couple weeks ago! It would have saved me!

I recruited a 5-star, #1 ATH who was ranked as the #9 overall recruit all season long. Finally, I got him to commit to me over Alabama, Auburn, and Florida in the 5th week of Offseason Recruiting.

Of course, it was only to find out.........

THAT THE ONLY DAMN POSITION HE COULD PLAY WAY PUNTER OR KICKER!!

It was really funny, but kinda disappointing at the same time. Don't get me wrong, he is a HELL of a kicker (He came is as a Freshman like 80something overall) however, he's a f'n punter. NOT really a game changer. Lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Rookie

IrishNDFan's Arena

@lhinds7

While I think that is a very valid statement for the overall rating, I think that you can still find a "diamond" in this recruiting game if you take your time.

Let's say you need a receiving TE and the 4* you look at is a great blocker, but the 3* a few spots down runs routs better and has better hands. The 3* may actually fill your need better.

I've always tried to recruit players who will complement the system I run and I think my end product each year may not look like I have a top 20 class, but I would bet that my teams are more solid than if I just tried getting the highest *'s.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #7
Rookie

lhinds7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishNDFan
@lhinds7

While I think that is a very valid statement for the overall rating, I think that you can still find a "diamond" in this recruiting game if you take your time.

Let's say you need a receiving TE and the 4* you look at is a great blocker, but the 3* a few spots down runs routs better and has better hands. The 3* may actually fill your need better.

I've always tried to recruit players who will complement the system I run and I think my end product each year may not look like I have a top 20 class, but I would bet that my teams are more solid than if I just tried getting the highest *'s.
That's just smart recruiting. Recruiting for your needs, not just recruiting based on overall rating or stars, which don't really matter much in the end. Which is what Nebraska does. Ameer Abdullah. 3-star according to Rivals. Doesn't matter. Dude's a stud.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #8
Rookie

GKEnialb's Arena

OVR: 5

Yeah, that's why I threw in the key attributes thing - the overall rating can emphasize things that aren't important to you. That being said, if the skills you're interested in aren't what is available in the recruiting screen, I had to take an educated guess by averaging related skills. In general it works out okay, though...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »