Home

The option and outside runs in general

This is a discussion on The option and outside runs in general within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
Rookie

lhinds7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The option and outside runs in general

In my OD I just played a user game (aka vs. another human). I'm Wisconsin, he's Penn State; #2 vs. #1. Lost 35-38. I had over 400 total yards of offense using Air Force's playbook. Completed 6 or 7 passes, ran the ball ~30 times. Ran the speed option out of the flexbone with great success.

The option works for how it's supposed to work, out of running formations. Running an option out of the shotgun makes no sense to me, you're already almost 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and have to try to make up that ground. Who cares if they other team knows what you're doing? Everybody knew what 94/95 Huskers were gonna do when the came to the line. But nobody could stop it. That's the beauty of the option, completely demoralizing the other team.

For reference, when I played him last year, I lost 7-0.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #18
Banned

therealslimshady's Arena

OVR: 4

or when the ball is pitched and hits the running back in the head for a fumble and the linemen pick it up for 6 points because they are stupid fast lol
Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhinds7
In my OD I just played a user game (aka vs. another human). I'm Wisconsin, he's Penn State; #2 vs. #1. Lost 35-38. I had over 400 total yards of offense using Air Force's playbook. Completed 6 or 7 passes, ran the ball ~30 times. Ran the speed option out of the flexbone with great success.

The option works for how it's supposed to work, out of running formations. Running an option out of the shotgun makes no sense to me, you're already almost 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and have to try to make up that ground. Who cares if they other team knows what you're doing? Everybody knew what 94/95 Huskers were gonna do when the came to the line. But nobody could stop it. That's the beauty of the option, completely demoralizing the other team.

I cant tell if youre serious but in the context of real life options out of shotgun are pretty significant and effective. The triple option flex wing T caveman stuff...not so much.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #20
Rookie

inchez34's Arena

OVR: 5

I thought that the option was too easy. Especially with the DB's just standing there watching the ball carrier run by half the time.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #21
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

I am a spread option proponent in real life, although I had to give it up in NCAA in lieu of a similar offense to what you're running because I hate the lack of plays in the spread option scheme.

Starting in the shotgun 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage is WHY the spread option is so successful. The two downfalls of under center option attacks are that it is difficult to get north and south and it is difficult to throw the football. Being in the Shotgun or Pistol allows the option to attack down hill, forcing the defense to make a decision quickly. Under center, outside options can be strung out indefinitely with a disciplined defense.

Where under center gets its strength and what made those Nebraska teams so successful was that roughly 70% of their runs were actually not option. They ran traps, pitches, powers, designed belly gives to the FB to help set up the outside option you're talking about (you'll see that some this year with 2011 Nebraska). Shotgun spread option offenses really can't install those types of plays outside of a few teams who commit to it 100% (Oregon, Florida under Meyer).

These comparisons are why the Pistol has taken college ball by storm lately. You get the strengths of both worlds without sacrificing much of anything.

I personally prefer lining up in the shotgun (outside of this game) because in the end, most QB's are more comfortable with the reads from the gun and you can open up the offense a lot more than say a Paul Johnson can at GT (Paul Johnson himself calls his offense a spread offense). If I want to run a three back option offense, I can do it with the QB 4-5 yards behind center just as well as the Flexbone or Wishbone using any number of formations. There are some things that just work better out of under center, like the trap and belly game, but they are replaceable by things out of the gun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
I cant tell if youre serious but in the context of real life options out of shotgun are pretty significant and effective. The triple option flex wing T caveman stuff...not so much.
Being an Outside Linebacker at a school that runs a Wing T, that is very untrue. The Wing T and option from under center will kill a undisciplined defense because there are just so many places the ball could be every play. Also, Army runs what they call a "WingBone", a mix between a flexbone and Wing T, and they beat Northwestern this year, a team that runs a Spread Option. Lastly, a lot of what Meyer did at Utah and Florida and what Chip Kelly does at Oregon has a lot of Wing T principles.

I love the Wing and what it can do, I wish they had it in this game.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #23
Rookie

lhinds7's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
I am a spread option proponent in real life, although I had to give it up in NCAA in lieu of a similar offense to what you're running because I hate the lack of plays in the spread option scheme.

Starting in the shotgun 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage is WHY the spread option is so successful. The two downfalls of under center option attacks are that it is difficult to get north and south and it is difficult to throw the football. Being in the Shotgun or Pistol allows the option to attack down hill, forcing the defense to make a decision quickly. Under center, outside options can be strung out indefinitely with a disciplined defense.

Where under center gets its strength and what made those Nebraska teams so successful was that roughly 70% of their runs were actually not option. They ran traps, pitches, powers, designed belly gives to the FB to help set up the outside option you're talking about (you'll see that some this year with 2011 Nebraska). Shotgun spread option offenses really can't install those types of plays outside of a few teams who commit to it 100% (Oregon, Florida under Meyer).

These comparisons are why the Pistol has taken college ball by storm lately. You get the strengths of both worlds without sacrificing much of anything.

I personally prefer lining up in the shotgun (outside of this game) because in the end, most QB's are more comfortable with the reads from the gun and you can open up the offense a lot more than say a Paul Johnson can at GT (Paul Johnson himself calls his offense a spread offense). If I want to run a three back option offense, I can do it with the QB 4-5 yards behind center just as well as the Flexbone or Wishbone using any number of formations. There are some things that just work better out of under center, like the trap and belly game, but they are replaceable by things out of the gun.
Well yeah, I run the triple option maybe once a game. Maybe. Most of the time I will never run it. No need to. And above when I said I use Air Force's playbook, that's just because it's a damn good playbook. I would say I only run 5-10 option plays a game. The rest are just run-of-the-mill running plays with a bit of passing. It's not like I just sit there and run the option over and over. There is no way that would work (although, remember the "Option Dash" game mode in NCAA 09? Those were the days...)

Kansas State playbook is pretty good as well. But that's way off topic.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #24
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Well yeah, I run the triple option maybe once a game. Maybe. Most of the time I will never run it. No need to. And above when I said I use Air Force's playbook, that's just because it's a damn good playbook. I would say I only run 5-10 option plays a game. The rest are just run-of-the-mill running plays with a bit of passing. It's not like I just sit there and run the option over and over. There is no way that would work (although, remember the "Option Dash" game mode in NCAA 09? Those were the days...)

Kansas State playbook is pretty good as well. But that's way off topic.
Option Dash was the coolest thing ever. I miss little things like that in the game. Stupid mascot games now.

Air Force's playbook is awesome. I use it as a base for all of my running playbooks because it has the least frozen formations and I love the base look. My Nebraska playbook for this year is based out of AF using I, Flex Normal, Pistol, Shotgun and 2 Wishbone. Lots of fun to use.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »